Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Swiftech MCP655 vs MCP355??

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Old threads are funny..

In GPM terms used on most fairly high restriction loops (1-1.5GPM) a DDC with top will slightly outperform the D5, but in terms of temperature...good luck trying to measure any trustworthy difference flow rate just doesn't make that much difference.

I used to find the D5 more favorable back in the days of the DDC2 when reliability of the DDC was questionable, but after the release of the DDC3.2 (DDC 3.1) series, personally I think they are both equally as reliable.

I've had a DDC 3.2 with XSPC top and a D5 with EK top in my system pumping two different loops for about 18 months straight now and they both perform just fine.

About the only really noteworth differences I find are size and the variable aspect of the D5. For those that want a compact pump, get the DDC...the D5 is huge in comparison. But for those who find they may have problems with pump noise, the D5 would probably be the better choice as you can easily turn it down to setting 1 if you want that.

Performance wise, technically the DDC will produce a hair more flow, but in practical temperature thinking...pretty much the same either way.

For myself, I now slightly prefer the DDC mainly for it's smaller size..

Xtreme Addict
    I prefer the DDC because of the large availability of different tops.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FWIW,

My particular CPU loop, I'm still running an EK supreme, TFC480, and couple of temp probes, King Flow meter, and tubing.
    My actual flow rate on my meter is currently 1.15GPM using my D5 with EK top.

Per my old flow rate estimator, it estimates flow rate would be approximately 1.23GPM making some substitutions for my flow meter as elbows.

Now if I switch over to a DDC 3.2 with XSPC top:
    I should theoretically gain about .2 gpm with a result of 1.43 GPM

So you're thinking...whoohoo, .2GPM...that kicks butt! right?

Well, lets look at what that really means.

1.23GPM to 1.43 GPM

Using Vapor's recent testing, on current blocks that usually relates to about approximately .4C

Now using Gabe's Temp>overclock relational rule of thumb, for ever 10C you get 1.5 -2% in overclock gain.

So, between the two pumps you get .4/10 x 2% or .08% overclock gain.

Since I'm currently running my Q6600 at 3600 mhz, this means:

D5 with top = 3600 Mhz
    DDC3.2 with top = 3603 Mhz

Pretty insignificant if you think past Flow Rate, past Temps, and finally translate it to actual overclock differences..

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, pretty epic post! Thanks for the explanation and graphs. This gets a spot in my 'usefull LQ links' file !
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    Mondays:

I am Xtreme
    Martin, you need to get a DDC3.25 and play with it a little, it's almost as strong as the old DDC-2 was.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Martin, you need to get a DDC3.25 and play with it a little, it's almost as strong as the old DDC-2 was.
    I will after one of my current pumps give up, but they have been going strong for 18 months+ now..so it'll be a while..

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    No guys this isnt not a paid sponsored advertisement from the DDC group either.

Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    No guys this isnt not a paid sponsored advertisement from the DDC group either.

"isn't not"... So you do get paid?
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    oops sorry my konglish made me do a double negative... lol...

dayam too much coffee in the morning.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    oops sorry my konglish made me do a double negative... lol...

dayam too much coffee in the morning.
    Now thats a new word to me..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Now thats a new word to me..
    its quite common in LA and Ktown.

We call it konglish.. err korean's english...

Xtreme Addict
    its quite common in LA and Ktown.

We call it konglish.. err korean's english...
    Ah yes, we Dutch have Denglish. With the lovely expression "I thank you from the bottom of my heart and from my wife's bottom."
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    Old threads are funny..

In GPM terms used on most fairly high restriction loops (1-1.5GPM) a DDC with top will slightly outperform the D5, but in terms of temperature...good luck trying to measure any trustworthy difference flow rate just doesn't make that much difference.

I used to find the D5 more favorable back in the days of the DDC2 when reliability of the DDC was questionable, but after the release of the DDC3.2 (DDC 3.1) series, personally I think they are both equally as reliable.

I've had a DDC 3.2 with XSPC top and a D5 with EK top in my system pumping two different loops for about 18 months straight now and they both perform just fine.

About the only really noteworth differences I find are size and the variable aspect of the D5. For those that want a compact pump, get the DDC...the D5 is huge in comparison. But for those who find they may have problems with pump noise, the D5 would probably be the better choice as you can easily turn it down to setting 1 if you want that.

Performance wise, technically the DDC will produce a hair more flow, but in practical temperature thinking...pretty much the same either way.

Thanks for digging it up from the dead, Couldnt find it martin

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    While the 355 has a lower flow rate then the D5, it has more & head quieter too... Martin has a good test some where i cant seem to find it!
    That's exactly what I thought...just wanted to make sure we were all 'fair and balanced'

*snip*
    Hi, Martin, good to see you around. Or maybe you have been around and I haven't. Either way, hope life is treating you well (and that you're back in the testing game! )
    Current Project: City of Light, (sortof) Updated 3/25 - A New Arrival

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have both pumps, actually in my previous system i had both running in dual loops. The DDC is more practical to work with due to size and mounting options, but the D5 is noticeably more silent even at max setting (and properly decoupled). The D5 produces more vibrations though. A lot more. The DDC produces a semi-high frequency whine that is hard to block. Pump top choice was not a concern for me as both have EK tops.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234