Thread: Problem with EK Supreme HF plexi top

Problem with EK Supreme HF plexi top

The other day I was disassembling my loop, and I was going to remove the fittings from my EK Supreme HF. But when I tried to unscrew the fittings, they were completely stuck. These were Bitspower compression fittings. No matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't budge. And I didn't really tighten them an awful lot when I installed them the first place either. I ended up having to use pliers to get the fittings loose, which in turn ruined the black finish on them. I couldn't see anything unusual with either the threads on the block it self or the fittings.

Anybody else experienced this? Do you think it is the block or the fittings that poses the problem? I didn't have any trouble removing the fittings from any of my other blocks. However, my CPU block is the only one with plexi. Could this be the issue?

I am Xtreme
    I'm going to guess you didn't put any kind of lubrication on the O-Ring before tightening it down on the Plexi, right?

It was probably just a dry O-ring getting a really good grip on 2 dry surfaces. Some silicone grease should stop that in the future.

...and now that I've mentioned "lube", DB ought to be showing up with some sort of sexual joke. ;)
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

No, it didn't really seem to be an issue with the O-rings either. When I was removing the fittings from the block, I had to use the pliers to screw them almost all the way out. Also, I had to use pliers when I installed them again. There was no way I was able to get them in place by hand.

Xtreme Member
    Were they hard to screw down at all? It could have just been a little bit out of the thread and cracked part of the thread out. That would make it hard to install again and hard to get out the first time. It seems strange that both of them were stuck though

Yeah, they were about equally hard to screw both in and out. Both of the fittings.

Xtreme Guru
    Maybe some wrong thread mixup? Like NPSM instead of BSP and alike ..

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I was thinking wrong threads also. QC seems to be pretty good at EK. Maybe try some different fittings on the block?

I am Xtreme
    If you can, post some clear pics (don't have to be super hi res but they do need to show all detail clearly) of the thread area on the fittings and the threads of the plexi top (from approx a 45° to 60° angle). I have a suspicion I might know what happened, providing those fittings went in easy the first time.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Yeah, they did go in very easy the first time I installed them. But my loop is now assembled, bled and running, so I don't feel like pulling it apart again just yet. I probably will be making some changes in a few weeks though, so I can throw up a couple of pictures then.

OK, I have now disassembled my loop, as I'm changing a few things anyway. Tried to take som pictures of the block and the fittings. Don't know if they're good enough though, because I'm no photographer. I'm changing my top to an acetal one anyway, but I'm still curious to find out what the issue was with this one.

Waterlogged, What type of lubricant do you recommend putting on the o-rings? And do you have a link? Do people also use Teflon tape anymore?

Xtreme Addict
    Teflon tape is not recommended for the LQ industry. The reason is because it's not the thread that is meant to make the seal, but the o-ring. Besides that, we work with 'soft' materials, such als acetal, and even worse, acrylic. The added pressure created by the teflon tape could potentially cause cracking.

Also, I usually use WD-40 for most of my lubrication.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Thank you for the reply Alexandr0s. I thought WD-40 tends to break down rubber but I may be wrong. How about silicone lubricant like this one ?
    Last edited by SmugBoy; 07-18-2010 at 07:53 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvk View Post
    OK, I have now disassembled my loop, as I'm changing a few things anyway. Tried to take som pictures of the block and the fittings. Don't know if they're good enough though, because I'm no photographer. I'm changing my top to an acetal one anyway, but I'm still curious to find out what the issue was with this one.
    I'm not positive but, it looks like there might be some room for the o-rigs to wedge down into he chamfer on the threads for the top. That may have allowed the first thread to be pushed down and pinch the threads on the fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by SmugBoy View Post
    Waterlogged, What type of lubricant do you recommend putting on the o-rings? And do you have a link? Do people also use Teflon tape anymore?
    Silicone grease (AKA dielectric grease) is a little easier to manage than a silicone liquid. It can probably be picked up in almost any automotive parts store or hardware store in the plumbing dept (near the faucet repair section). It comes in either a tube or a a small tin type container.

As for PTFE tape, the only time it should be used is if both the male and female threads are tapered (NPT or BSPT). Any other use is rather futile as the thread simply weren't designed for it and it would take a massive amount of tape for it to actually work, not to mention the o-rings are actually doing the sealing, the threads are just there to hold the parts together.
    Circles SucQ!

Thanks for the feedback Waterlogged. Do you also use dielectric grease on the the o-rings inside CPU/GPU/pump blocks? or just with fittings?

I am Xtreme
    Just fittings. . .though, I'd imagine it might help getting those really big GPU o-rings back into place by placing a dab here and there along the machined groove to help hold it in place. Just be careful not to let it get into the water path, you'll likely have to pull it apart again to clean it.
    Circles SucQ!