Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech MCP655 vs MCP355??

Xtreme Mentor

Swiftech MCP655 vs MCP355??

I am very confused. I thought that the Swiftech MCP655 pump was supposed to be better than the MCP355 ... and it's more expensive. But in several places I have seen people saying that a MCP355 with some special configuration from petra's tech out performs the 655. What is the full scoop on this? I have been asking a lot of noob questions lately, I know. It's because I am a WC noob.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    I am very confused. I thought that the Swiftech MCP655 pump was supposed to be better than the MCP355 ... and it's more expensive. But in several places I have seen people saying that a MCP355 with some special configuration from petra's tech out performs the 655. What is the full scoop on this? I have been asking a lot of noob questions lately, I know. It's because I am a WC noob.
    Get the 655.. Well worth the difference in money IMO
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Mentor
    The 335 comes with in built threaded ends. Several alternative top parts are on sale offering better head pressure and threaded holes to suit any size barb. The PTS head also has the outlet sideways and inlet into the top center. So an alternative routing.

This really is covered in the pump sticky.
    Happy to answer queries but unnecessary typing is a bit of a pain.
    Last edited by Jedda; 12-03-2007 at 08:10 PM.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Mentor
    I know it's in the stickies, thats where I read that it was recommended over the 655. I looked at the comparisons but I didn't see it compared to the 655. I'm still confused as to which is the better pump. The 335? In every situation? I know the 655 does have 1/2" barbs.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by 003 View Post
    I know it's in the stickies, thats where I read that it was recommended over the 655. I looked at the comparisons but I didn't see it compared to the 655. I'm still confused as to which is the better pump. The 335? In every situation? I know the 655 does have 1/2" barbs.
    Get the 655..
    One's a pump, the other is a toy that breaks..
    Yea, I will now hear 5001 people disagree BUT...Get the 655..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Get the 655..
    OOoo.. strong statement...

Get the 655..
    So I have a 355 so whats the reason for the 655 over the 355? The 355 (with petra's top) seems to have higher flow, in most cases, so is there some reason I should be buying a 655? My 355 has been running for a few months now and I have not had any issues with it as of yet.

Listen... it all depends on what is in your loop.

If you need head pressure because you have a number of restrictuve water blocks in your loop, then you need a 355 with aftermarket top.

If you have an uncomplicated and un restrictive loop, then you need to get a 655 because it has better flow.

At the end of the day, flow is the measure that's important. However, if you have restriction, then head pressure will come into play because your water cannot flow well. If your water does flow well, then you should maximize flow and not pressure.

As to the reliability issue, its a whole battle, and I'm not going to get into that. I have several of each, and they both have their applications.

No one can tell you which pump serves you better until you tell us how your loop is designed, and with which components.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=IanY]At the end of the day, flow is the measure that's important. However, if you have restriction, then head pressure will come into play because your water cannot flow well. If your water does flow well, then you should maximize flow and not pressure.[QUOTE]

Disagreed. At the end of the day, the better pump is the one that doesn't die . I'm sorry but there are just too many people that have suffered this needless to say that the 655 sells more anyway. Never hear complains about that but the Petra top 355 gets threads every week. I would say that it's better to have a bit less flow but at the end of the day you know it's not going to break while you're out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

No further comment This is the ideal beginning of a flame fest

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Performance wise they are essentially the same. It comes down to space and barb orientation preference.

The older DDC2 was the pressure king for sub $100 pumps had a noteworthy advantage, but now in the 3.2 variety, the difference is negligible (Still very slight lead to the DDC).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Everything that needs to be said has now been said. 003, I hope your question has been answered. Good luck with your build!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_freak View Post
    Disagreed. At the end of the day, the better pump is the one that doesn't die . I'm sorry but there are just too many people that have suffered this needless to say that the 655 sells more anyway. Never hear complains about that but the Petra top 355 gets threads every week. I would say that it's better to have a bit less flow but at the end of the day you know it's not going to break while you're out.
    Not sure where your coming up with the numbers that the D5 out sells the DDC but your wrong. Petra has stated that DDC's fly his door faster than the D5. I find it very difficult to believe that it wouldn't be similar at the other shops.

Also, please validate your "Petra top 355 gets threads every week" statement with some current (within the last month) links.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Get the MCP655. Much more reliable, and not much of performance difference.

CPU : E8400
    Motherboard : Abit IP-35 Pro
    Memory : GSkill DDR2-800 2GBHZ @ 1:1 445 4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card : Palit HD4870 Dual Sonic
    Display : Dell E228WFP
    Storage & OS : 1TB | Windows 7 64bit
    Sound Card & Speakers/Headphones : X-Fi Platinum (HotRod) > Zero DAC > BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro
    Peripherals : Razer ProType Keyboard | Steelseries Ikari Optical | Razer Goliathus Speed.
    Case : Coolermaster ATCS 840
    PSU : OCZ GamerXtreme 700W

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
    Get the MCP655. Much more reliable, and not much of performance difference.
    Maybe when compared to the DDC 2, problem is, they're not sold anymore so this is no longer a valid leg to stand on...at least until we see a few 3.X drop dead in the same manner, which doesn't look like it going to happen any time soon.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    OOoo.. strong statement...
    (BTW: Ian and I get along well so there's no issues between us)
    I've looked at both and God's truth, one looks well built and I rarely hear about problems and the other, (tactful) I don't hear that same confidence in.
    I probably put as much heat load (cpu) on a WC system as anyone(2 clovers at over 3000mhz) and my system runs at 100% load 24/7.
    Granted, no vid or NB to cool but there's close to 300w with the clovers at that speed and it's held up fine for me.
    Like a tank, you could sit a pin on it and it wouldn't fall off..
    No perceptible vibration..

Banned
    Waterlogged said it very well, the DDC reliability issues is with the DDC2 version and I didn't hear any DDC3.2 death which isn't caused by a user error (only 2 reports so far, 1 claimed it doesn't work and Alex from Petra tested it fine, probably a bad molex connection. Second one is from someone who placed the pump on the Petra gel pad and with the pump heat, it melted and some gel oozed in the circuit board, killing it). As long as you can get some airflow on the bottom of the pump, it will be as reliable as the 655.

The reason many ppl here recommend the 655 is mostly for the reliability factor. Myself, I don't see a problem recommending either one so it's up to you to get which one. I like the DDC more because you can get a custom top for almost any needs, including the new EK X-RES top with a reservoir. Granted that since I'm using 3/8", the MCP655 is out of question with the lack of a custom top (or side).

Few comments..

355 - I have a couple of DDC+ but no 3.2s. None have ever died on me. They have worked fabulously. One of them literally fell off the table, hit the floor and my kid picked it up and tossed it to the other side of the room. It still worked.

655 - I have more than a few. Never been able to hear any of them. The vibration on a pad is very manageable, and without touching any of them, I wouldn't know that they are operating. I have no idea how anyone would call them noisy. I am heavily into audio gear and music performances. I can't even hear any of them with just my PSU running.

Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Listen... it all depends on what is in your loop.

<snip>

No one can tell you which pump serves you better until you tell us how your loop is designed, and with which components.
    Ok Fair enough, my setup is as follows

Pump -> D-Tek FuZion -> MCw60 -> ASUS X38 Fusion NB -> MCR320 Rad -> EK tube style res (not sure what the model I think it's the 200) -> Pump

The D-Tek seems to be low restriction and the MCW60 seems to be the leader for low restriction GPU block (which is why I picked it over the D-Tek) I believe the ASUS Fusion block is probably the most restrictive in my loop because of the drop in ID of the inlet/outlet and the MCR320 doesn't seem to get a bad rap for restriction except as compared to the PA120.3 which I don't have room for in my case (P182 SE) so in this particular case will a 655 net me anything? I don't mind swapping it out if I stand to gain a few degrees C (room isn't an issue between the 2 pumps) but if my pump isn't the best for my app I would definetly be interested in knowning and more so if there is a good reason...

Xtreme Addict
    Reliability wise I haven't heard anything bad about the 3.2's. Nothing to make me question their reliability in comparison to the 655's at least.

I personally just ordered a 3.2 w/ Petra's top mostly because of it's cosmetics in comparison to the rest of my system. I've seen 655's very nicely integrated into cases also.

Which is louder seems to be somewhat of a tossup/difference in opinion. I've never heard both next to each other at the same time in the same room so I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Looker View Post
    Ok Fair enough, my setup is as follows

Pump -> D-Tek FuZion -> MCw60 -> ASUS X38 Fusion NB -> MCR320 Rad -> EK tube style res (not sure what the model I think it's the 200) -> Pump

The D-Tek seems to be low restriction and the MCW60 seems to be the leader for low restriction GPU block (which is why I picked it over the D-Tek) I believe the ASUS Fusion block is probably the most restrictive in my loop because of the drop in ID of the inlet/outlet and the MCR320 doesn't seem to get a bad rap for restriction except as compared to the PA120.3 which I don't have room for in my case (P182 SE) so in this particular case will a 655 net me anything? I don't mind swapping it out if I stand to gain a few degrees C (room isn't an issue between the 2 pumps) but if my pump isn't the best for my app I would definetly be interested in knowning and more so if there is a good reason...

My recommendation to you is a D5/MCP655. If you have the budget, I would add another one down the road, later, if you are so inclined.

Xtreme Cruncher
    lol, didnt know so many things plays in affect when picking a pump when i made my first rig.
    Just went to the sticky, it said 355 over 6 series so just got the 355 ( DDC 3.2 )with petras top and never looked back...
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Member
    Get the 655..
    Here is one that does agree.

Go with the 655. A pump is not something you want modded tops for, heat issues, or questionable reliability - it's one of the components you dont want to worry about once it's installed.
    E4400 @ 3100Mhz 1.375v // P965 DS3 rev3.3 // 4GB D9GMH
    EVGA 8800GT // Antec P182 Gun Metal // Corsair HX520W
    Dell E172FP 17" TFT // Logitech MX1000 // Saitek Eclipse KB
    Apogee GT // Maze 4 // Laing D5 // Swiftech MCR320-QP

mATX soon...

Me too.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 940 @ 4.1 ghz
    2 way SLI GTX 260 SSC-55nm
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme
    TFC Xchanger - Triple Radiator 360
    TFC Xchanger - Quad Radiator 480
    Swiftech Laing D5 Vario MCP655 12V DC Pump
    11 Yate Loon 2200-rmp
    2 Ek GTX 260 waterblocks
    GTZ waterblock
    HAF 932 CoolerMaster Case
    G5 mouse
    G15 keyboard
    12 gigs of Corsair Dominator with DHX
    Corsair dominator ram cooler
    1100watt Utimate PSU Coolermaster
    ---------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have been using my MCP655 about a year and half now, still running strong.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast