Thread: What are these things on my mobo, and should I insulate over them?

Xtreme Member

What are these things on my mobo, and should I insulate over them?

Hey all, please refer to the attached picture:

I have an Asus striker extreme im trying to prep for phasecooling, but I am somewhat unsure about wether or not to insulate over and around some certains things that sit pretty damn close to the socket. Last time I prepped a mobo there wasnt anything this close so I didn't have to make a call like this.

If I dont insulate around them the insulation will be pretty thin on thoise sides, and if I do insulate around them, I fear that they could possibly overheat.

I have marked 2 different types of objects. the small red ones and the larger orange ones. Honestly I have no idea what they are, I'm not an electrician, but I assume they are eihter some kind of power capacitors or power regulators which may get pretty hot, especially if they have nowhere to vent the heat away.

I did some measurments too.
    At idle, stock with a Q6600:
    Small red ones: ca 45celcius
    big orange ones: ca 54celcius

At full 4xload, with increased Vcore (1.45):
    small red ones: ca 58celcius
    big orange ones: ca 67celcius

All measurements taken with a stock heatsink doing its thing right next to it, so the temps would probably have been higher if there were no airflow, but there wasnt any easy way to test that. So, they don't get blisteringly hot, but there is no telling how hot or cold they will actually be when I factor in the cooling they will recive via the chilled mobo, and the lack of airflow + being insulated with neoprene (armaflex actually)

So the question is: Do I insulate tightly around them, or should I stop insulating on those sides when I reach them and hope their heat will keep away any condensation despite the thin insulation?

I hope someone can speak from experience and give me good advice

-Stigma
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus_striker_extreme.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	68302  
    Last edited by Stigma; 12-05-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    u can not NOT insulate them is to close to the evap not to do it, got it? coldnes from phase will go throu the mobo a bit, so i think they will be cooled i dunno if it will be enought(it is for most of us) but there is no other way! o yeah cascade so then u know for sure that those components are cold

regards,
    q

I cut my insulation short of the big orange 1's (left these exposed). though i am not by any means thoroughly versed re inulating this parts.
    Foxconn Black ops
    e7200
    2gig ocx 1333
    hiper r
    antec 900

Xtreme Member
    Ok, thanks for your feedback. I'd like to hear at least one more person back up your opinion before I make the changes, then I can rest more easy

BTW, not that it really matters, but purely for curiosity's sake it would be nice to know what those doohickeys actually are (or do), if anyone who reads this happens to know

-Stigma

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They're inductors and capacitors for the voltage regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    i use liquid electrical tape and paint over the red circled items then the armaflex goes on top of that.for the box coil things i use dielectic grease and a q-tip and rub around the inside.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

analog vrm coils...?
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz