Thread: Prometeia, Vapochill, 'the fridge', or DIY?

Prometeia, Vapochill, 'the fridge', or DIY?

Hehe... DIY for me=DANGER!

It sounds great but I'm thinkin' I'm to new to pull it off. After I break everything a few times I'll have spent a ton o' cash.

So....

If you guys could offer a little advice on the performance of theses retail set-ups I'd appreciate it.

Right now I'm runnin' an ECS K7S5A, so very little o/c options but soon I'll upgrade and you guys have inspired me to try to kill it

thx

mik

Hardass
    Welcome to Xtreme.

Well you can try it yourself if you're really inclined to do so. The Vapo can't handle high heat loads well at all and the MX-EVA3/The Fridge is just crap when it comes to reliability (probably > 75% fail rate now).

I guess that just leaves the Prometeia .

Ahh

I didn't realize the eva3 and the fridge were one in the same. I've read the posts tho :P

Damn those bastages!

Ok I like those guys at chip-con anyways. They are still trying to get UL certification(?) tho. hehe...I'm not known for patience.

Thanks for the welcome hardass right back at ya

I'd go for the prometeia, but one advantage a waterchiller has = you can cool your vidcard with it too, and even your northbridge...
    But then again, you probably won't get the temps of a prometeia
    AMD XP1600+ @ 1894MHz (10.5x180) (Vcore: 1.85v (need Vmod)) | ABIT KX7 | samsung PC2700 | Cooled by MachI
    AMD64 3200+ (stock cooled) | 512mb Kingston HyperX | R9800Pro

phase-change.com

Xtreme Member
    Hi there

Get the prometeia, it`s easy to setup for a newbie in phasechange cooling, theres not a big chance yuoll crush the core
    like in a vapo setup, I know cause I have both setups. just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Menty
    A64 3800+ 2.6, DFI NF4 Sli-dr, 2gig Ballistix, 600 giga hd, X850XT PE, Aureon, IBM T860 18.1, Watercooled by DD RBX

Hi,

Get the Prometeia you won't regret it

thanks for all the replies

fredperry, I'm gonna watercool too. Plus if I try to set up a chiller like the rigs I've seen here and elsewhere the old ball and chain would kill me.

I think I'm gonna just go with the kits I've seen at dangerden for the WC. Eheim pump, heatercore, gpu/nb blocks, tygon, etc... The only problem I forsee is with space. I use the same case the Prometia comes with now, the Enlight 7237. It's solid and functional but not exactly roomy. With the money I'm spending on the prometeia and the WC setup I won't have the cash for a good tower and I'm worried about fitting it all in there. Most of the setups I've seen have the heatercore either at the front intake or the top exhaust, with the pump sitting right where the Prometeia capillary tube enters the case. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, do the BGA sinks make much of a difference?

thx again

Xtreme Member
    [QUOTE
    Oh yeah, do the BGA sinks make much of a difference?
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    nope

try and phase change them too
    fx-53@210*14@1.7V, asus x800xt-PE peltier cooled-Vapochill ls
    The maddest in hardware!!

.... just a link .....

Vapochill vs. Prometeia UK

http://www.hardware-testdk.com/test_show.asp?id=1021

/ fOrMIs
    AMD Athlon XP1700+ (JIUHB 0319WPMW)| ABIT NF7-S v2.0 | HyperX PC3500 2x256mb | ABIT Siluro GF4 Ti4200 64mb | Antec True Power 550W | SLK-800 + Tornado 80mm

3DMark2001 SE

boughetto overclocker
    Originally posted by fOrMIs
    .... just a link .....

Vapochill vs. Prometeia UK

http://www.hardware-testdk.com/test_show.asp?id=1021

/ fOrMIs
    The Prometeia is deff. the best solution, but omg, that review is such crap! They didn't even use processors in it! A testing block? Mmmm I like to see real world tests, not these testing block thingies. The real test is which can juice out more mhz.
    Dinosaurs are chortling.
    Lian Li PC1200B, Custom Water Cooling, Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller w/ 4x 120mmx38 Deltas
    i7 930 @ 3.8ghz, Rampage III Extreme, 12GB G.Skill PC2000, BFG 260GTXOC, PNY Quadro 380FX
    (1) HP LP2475w 24", (2) Dell 2007WFP 20", Corsair AX1200 1200w, 3Ware 9650SE Raid
    (2) 500gb Hybrid Seagate Raid 1, (2) 2TB WD Red NAS 64mb Raid 1, (5) 1TB Hitachi 32mb Raid 5

Ritalin Junkie
    i kind of like that review,
    how they compared the results @ different heat loads.
    it is clearly visible where the Vapo loses it completely (about 130w)...

boughetto overclocker
    Originally posted by dmitriyaz
    i kind of like that review,
    how they compared the results @ different heat loads.
    it is clearly visible where the Vapo loses it completely (about 130w)...
    I still like realworld test myself, yeah this is more technical and precise, but I like mhz, what can I say. :P
    Dinosaurs are chortling.
    Lian Li PC1200B, Custom Water Cooling, Lamptron FC5 Fan Controller w/ 4x 120mmx38 Deltas
    i7 930 @ 3.8ghz, Rampage III Extreme, 12GB G.Skill PC2000, BFG 260GTXOC, PNY Quadro 380FX
    (1) HP LP2475w 24", (2) Dell 2007WFP 20", Corsair AX1200 1200w, 3Ware 9650SE Raid
    (2) 500gb Hybrid Seagate Raid 1, (2) 2TB WD Red NAS 64mb Raid 1, (5) 1TB Hitachi 32mb Raid 5

Banned
    DIY.. prefab SUCKS Azz.. it's been proven many times.. prefab units SUCK.. they cost a LOT..

You can yank a compressor from a refrigeration unit off of the street.. that's free.. you could even take the condensor..

Making an evaporator is a sinch.. making a condensor is no problem.. You could use a heatercore as the condensor.. It's simple.. it'll take you a day to build.. and you'll be happy with it.. If you are good you will spend about 50 to 100 dollars total.. maybe even less depending on what you already have around.

If you want help.. PM me.. I'll walk you through it.. As soon as I have some free time I am going to write up a phase change article for a couple websites.. Talking about how it works and everything.. and then how to make one.. etc..