Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161 ... LastLast

Thread: Phenom 9500 w/ MSI K9A2 Platinum

Xtreme Mentor
    Yep, your HT is too high and your CPU multi too low, thats's why.

Put HT low (5x) or on "Auto", you will be fine. Set NB FID to around 04, above that will be too high to oc much. Set CPU DID to 06 (11x multi).

Also, which BIOS do you have? Your BIOS has DID values 0 and 1, I've not seen them on this board yet, they've always been 1 and 2 for me.

They basically stand for the same thing:
    DID 1 and 0 = 1x divider
    DID 2 and 1 = 2x divider

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTE View Post
    Yep, your HT is too high and your CPU multi too low, thats's why.

Put HT low (5x) or on "Auto", you will be fine. Set NB FID to around 04, above that will be too high to oc much. Set CPU DID to 06 (11x multi).

Also, which BIOS do you have? Your BIOS has DID values 0 and 1, I've not seen them on this board yet, they've always been 1 and 2 for me.

They basically stand for the same thing:
    DID 1 and 0 = 1x divider
    DID 2 and 1 = 2x divider

anyway i set the cpu fid as 04(10x) because i wanted to see what was the limiting HTT speed.

oops. i followed the nb fid value posted by another member, guess it's too high for me.

i am using a bios a friend passed to me used by msi. afaik it isnt the new 1.1 bios by msi.

attached is a screenshot of 5x HT multi.
    cpu fid =4
    cpu did = 0
    nb fid = 7
    nb did = 0
    where can I find a AMD phenom keychain?

Xtreme Mentor
    If your CPU FID is 04, the CPU multi is 10x
    If your NB FID is 07, the NB multi is 12x

If you do not touch any parameter at all from stock but you choose above 9x multi for the NB, your system will downclock everything below stock values. Like this: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9...wnclocksr2.png

It tries to keep NB below 2GHz.

Also make sure you have Spread Spectrum and CnQ disabled.

Xtreme Member
    If your CPU FID is 04, the CPU multi is 10x
    If your NB FID is 07, the NB multi is 12x

If you do not touch any parameter at all from stock but you choose above 9x multi for the NB, your system will downclock everything below stock values. Like this: http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9...wnclocksr2.png

It tries to keep NB below 2GHz.

Also make sure you have Spread Spectrum and CnQ disabled.
    alright.

thanks. i tried booting on 235x11 but it freezes on 2 occasions, 1 on windows loading and another while loading cpuz

i had to clock to 230x11 before it turns out ok. going to run benchmarks for stability.

so whatever overclock i attempt i must keep the NB < 2GHz?

Xtreme Mentor
    Not always, just high NB will stop your oc so you won't know what went wrong.

When you booted at 235HT, what was the NB multi you chose?
    Does AOD 2.10 not work for you?

Xtreme Member
    Not always, just high NB will stop your oc so you won't know what went wrong.

When you booted at 235HT, what was the NB multi you chose?
    Does AOD 2.10 not work for you?

the NB multi is set at 8x for the 235HT run.

AOD simply loves to freeze up my PC whenever i click on it. 2.10version

anyway,the first time i typed this reply, i ran 3dmark06's cpu tests and passed. although 4x superPI runs of 8m and 1m both had 3 cores failing each. only 1 will pass.

after that i opened firefox to check on this thread and type a reply. the moment i typed "aod freezes up my PC" etc the cursor will disappear. i cant use ctrl alt del, mouse cursor remains as arrow key or the I shape.

the only thing i can do is move the mouse cursor around while nothing else responds. doesnt matter waht i did before this because this happened twice the moment i said AOD sucks,

alright..this is the 3rd time i am typing this... ( i downclocked to 230x10 instead)

Xtreme Mentor
    Yep, that's exactly how Phenom freezes. Mouse can move but everything else is locked!

There was supposed to be a new version of AOD coming last week. It should be out soon and is better. AOD is what freezes my system up too and it doesn't let you do any oc properly. But then again, if HT has stopped booting at 'xMHz' then your HT ref. limit/CPU speed limit won't be far off anyway.

I can't boot mine at anything above HT ref. 222 now. Before I booted 265HT ref. max. and 270 within windows.

Xtreme Member
    Yep, that's exactly how Phenom freezes. Mouse can move but everything else is locked!

There was supposed to be a new version of AOD coming last week. It should be out soon and is better. AOD is what freezes my system up too and it doesn't let you do any oc properly. But then again, if HT has stopped booting at 'xMHz' then your HT ref. limit/CPU speed limit won't be far off anyway.

I can't boot mine at anything above HT ref. 222 now. Before I booted 265HT ref. max. and 270 within windows.

ok..my 2nd time posting this. last attempt FF gave me errors.

must be vcore. i think my setup has started to show the degradation of clocks thingy.

i used to be able to boot 235x11, windows or AOD although running apps or installing freezes the pc.

well at least the system didnt go up in flames so will keep trying.

No clock no glory!

Xtreme Mentor
    Just make sure your RAM timings/speeds are within spec and your clocks are stable. Fx errors are usually RAM in error or very unstable processor.

AOD is the mot accurate tool for Phenom, even CPU-Z is buggy for it. But I dare even want to touch it on most days, honestly.

Xtreme Member
    i think i found what is the max stable(depends on yr defn. of stable) is 235x10 or 230x11 currently

i found a screenshot i took a few weeks ago.. and it was 235x11 but it was only cinebench stable. installing apps would freeze it.

the rams i am using can take the speeds.

Xtreme Mentor
    Looks like you have the worst chip so far (Achim's is pretty bad).

What batch # was yours?

Xtreme Member
    Looks like you have the worst chip so far (Achim's is pretty bad).

What batch # was yours?

CAAZB 0744 GPAW.

u mind teaching me how to RMA this (working) processor ?

Xtreme Mentor
    Hehe, you have a good batch.

Xtreme Member
    Hehe, you have a good batch.

u got to be kidding me.....

Xtreme Addict

AOD 2.0.13 is in final qualification testing now. There are some significant improvements that Sami's team completed and the app is working great here. It also allows you to turn off the TLB patch in case the BIOS does not have that option. Speaking of which, we should be able to release several new BIOS spins by Friday.

For those looking at getting the 9600BE, be sure to request this part number series - OEM Tray = HD960ZWCJ4BGD / PIB = HD960ZWCGDBOX . There is no price difference from AMD to the distribution network on these CPUs when compared to the current 9600.

Xtreme Mentor
    Emperor: No at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    AOD 2.0.13 is in final qualification testing now. There are some significant improvements that Sami's team completed and the app is working great here. It also allows you to turn off the TLB patch in case the BIOS does not have that option.
    It can't come quick enough. But if it's not before the coming Monday, I won't have this Phenom to test with it.

Speaking of which, we should be able to release several new BIOS spins by Friday.
    We?

MSI, I really hope they release a good BIOS fast. Their board is excellent but their BIOS/support... abysmal.

For those looking at getting the 9600BE, be sure to request this part number series - OEM Tray = HD960ZWCJ4BGD / PIB = HD960ZWCGDBOX . There is no price difference from AMD to the distribution network on these CPUs when compared to the current 9600.
    You've got the right person then.

Tell me, why that part# in particular?

However, there are none in EU that I've been made aware of available this week. Would've been better to have them by the next 7 days as I might get busy after.

Cheers.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks KTE for informing me of bios. I am getting my board tomorrow and giving my friend my Lanparty. My CPU have the following number: CAAZB AA 0743DPMW- must be the baddies?

Xtreme Mentor
    Same as mine.

Can't solely judge on this though. People try to look for patterns and then start such a train of thought.. I don't unless it really becomes very consistent.

Xtreme Member
    guys, need some info. the silly errata patch simply means at higher clock speeds, it doesnt freeze up and doesnt affect overclocking?

Xtreme Member
    Thanks KTE that good news. My DFI also had "issues" due to BIOS mostly .Seem though MSI is more up to date getting things fixed. Can't wait for BE's to hit the net. Here in South Africa we get things slowly so anyone that knows where to get please let us all know

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo13 View Post
    AOD 2.0.13 is in final qualification testing now. There are some significant improvements that Sami's team completed and the app is working great here. It also allows you to turn off the TLB patch in case the BIOS does not have that option. Speaking of which, we should be able to release several new BIOS spins by Friday.

Hey Bingo13
    Do you know if the new AOD will work with the Asus M3A the current version simply quits with the error unsupported chipset.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanie View Post
    Thanks KTE that good news. My DFI also had "issues" due to BIOS mostly .Seem though MSI is more up to date getting things fixed. Can't wait for BE's to hit the net. Here in South Africa we get things slowly so anyone that knows where to get please let us all know
    Swanie
    Try here
    http://sybaritic.co.za/store/
    Little expensive but they are quick, also here.
    http://www.take2.co.za/electronics
    And Dfi here
    http://www.prophecy.co.za/

Xtreme Addict
    Achim,

Ah OK. The first reading on the meter is watts, the second is the VA and the third the power factor (P(W)/S(VA)=PF i.e., 176.5/185.4 = 0.952 or 95.2%). These meters are incapable of showing PSU efficiency since you need an ammeter or a clamp meter or a SMPS ATE to measure that using values of how much amps each rail is carrying from the PSU and what the voltage for each rail is (multiply the two for the DC wattage) compared to how much VAC is being drawn in. So it's the ratio of how much the PSU pulls and how much it then gives out which is the PSU efficiency. Power factor that is being reported above is very different.

Youre power factor radings are how they should be. APFC is getting 0.95 PF while PFC is getting 0.78 PF. That's how it should be realistically. To measure efficiency you have to look at the manufacturer testing reports, do it yourself if you have the equipment or knowledge (large corporations or industries have engineers with the relevant tools many times), or look towards people wo have reviewed similar items like online websites such as PCPerspective, Anandtech, Toms Hardware, Hardforum, Techgage, Jonnyguru.com and so on. They have the relevant equipment to be able to measure the PSU efficiency at different loads. Inductive or capacitive loads, the efficiency (and power factor) will be fluctuating and never constant, so at 100W DC your PSU might be 74% efficient while at 200W it might be 76% and at 300W it might be 78% (and so on).
    Thanks mate, i already did some online research and also grabbed my old physics book.
    I thought the volt meter tries to detect the efficiency.
    Also on all my tests i only noted the VA results.

The Zalman 460W ultra quiet PSU you have came out before the wave of 80%+ efficient started popping up and it didn't have the best efficiency in the non-80+ PSU's either, since the Seasonic PSU's typically held that spot and they topped out at around 81-74% efficiency throughout the loads. At low loads these larger PSU's typically have low efficiency, like 68-74% below 100W DC. Yours 'aint 80% efficient PSU throughout the loads, bare this in mind, it's 75-80% at >220VAC below 40C above 80W DC AFAIK and I don't remember what it's report found the max efficiency at. It would be near the 50% range (near 270-300W DC).
    Found it,
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=4
    Will do further tesing with the HD2600XT, to ramp up loads in the 80,5%-81,3% area. 80,8 with +-0,33 (standard deviation) should give me good results.

Thank you for all the very details explanations you gave. And allways keep an eye on your boss.

PS: I ran over your whole thread looking for tlb-errata perfomance comparisons.
    Have you ran any benches with/without the patch that showed the impact beside latency and sandra?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    guys, need some info. the silly errata patch simply means at higher clock speeds, it doesnt freeze up and doesnt affect overclocking?
    It doesn't mean higher clocks but it definitely means very bad perf. Like 1.1GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by justapost View Post
    Also on all my tests i only noted the VA results.

Found it,
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=4
    Will do further tesing with the HD2600XT, to ramp up loads in the 80,5%-81,3% area. 80,8 with +-0,33 (standard deviation) should give me good results.
    Very nice. I'd like to know what you find with your testing now (idle/load) for CPU and GFX.
    Thank you for all the very details explanations you gave. And allways keep an eye on your boss.
    You're welcome.
    PS: I ran over your whole thread looking for tlb-errata perfomance comparisons.
    Have you ran any benches with/without the patch that showed the impact beside latency and sandra?
    I tried it for a few hours (?) maybe an hour at max. It was too bad to continue with, severly slow performance and so I never ran anything else. My system was running on some FAH in the background so I couldn't accept having that bad performance.
    Right now since 2-3 days its running WCG non-stop for about a week, so I can't really do anything yet.

Xtreme Member
    It doesn't mean higher clocks but it definitely means very bad perf. Like 1.1GHz
    so it's like saying i still can run at my max 2.XGhz but it feel like 1.xGhz and wouldnt lock up right ?

Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161 ... LastLast