Thread: Question: Gains of Chiller over normal water?

Xtreme Member

Question: Gains of Chiller over normal water?

So based on peoples past experience what kind of cpu overclock gains have people achieved going with a chiller over water. I am considering this as I enjoy these type of projects, but at the same time would like to get an "idea" of what cpu overclock gains vs a normal water cooling that people have achieved, before I go through the hassles and hurtles. Cpu will be an i7 920 d0, unless I upgrade... Also what kind of rough load temps should be expected with a 5200 btu air window unit. I don't know a lot about the workings of the internals of an A/C, but have a basic understanding. Also my current unit that I use for A/C starts freezing when I set the temp switch too low. I imagine either the temp sensor is not calibrated correctly, or my unit is not tuned, maybe this is a good thing?
    Also my "plan" would be to possibly put the heat rad, not sure of its propper name, in the window exhausting hot air out and have the cold rad inside next to the window in a cooler of course, assuming that I can get enough length by unbending the tubing, this way I cut down on heating my room and keep more noise outside. I would also buy another A/C unit which will sit next to this one in the window, (big window - small apartment) to cool both my room and the motherboard which will be mounted on a bench table right infront of this A/C. If this is confusing I can draw a picture...

All input is
    Last edited by scottc19; 07-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]My Comp...
    i7 @4ghz | ASUS matx Rampage II GENE | 2 Evga SC 285 gtx in SLI| Corsair 850 watt PS | 30gb Vertex SSD of OS | 150gb Raptor | 1.5tb Segate drive | Megahelms cooler | Cooler Master E341 Elite matx case

Xtreme Member
    this a a very very open question and could go many many ways. too many variables to really even guess...

Xtreme Member
    Thats why I wanted to know people past experiences
    [SIZE="1"]My Comp...
    i7 @4ghz | ASUS matx Rampage II GENE | 2 Evga SC 285 gtx in SLI| Corsair 850 watt PS | 30gb Vertex SSD of OS | 150gb Raptor | 1.5tb Segate drive | Megahelms cooler | Cooler Master E341 Elite matx case

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    If you look at the results from Phase on a given CPU knock off maybe 20% max for a very good chiller and you should be in the right ball park.

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----