Thread: What are the odds Intel gets SLI?

Xtreme Enthusiast

What are the odds Intel gets SLI?

I am really stuck in between a rock and a hard place right now due to our favorite corporate money-grubbing companies Intel and Nvidia.

Right now I have a p5k Deluxe, e6850 and 8800gtx. This is all fine and dandy except for the fact I can't play crysis on my Dell 3007FPW. Despitea 4ghz chip, the most powerful card out there, and 4GB memory, the instant I set shaders to anything above medium (and that IS the setting that makes the game look different from far cry), I get single digit FPS.

I have no good options at all right now. I never imagined I'd have money ready to go and not be able to spend it. I can't grab another 8800gtx for SLI right now because my motherboard (which I otherwise love) doesn't support it. I can't put a higher performing card in because Nvidia won't release one. I can't get a 680i board for SLI because not only are a large portion simply not stable and kill ram (I've had over eight different 680i boards and they all sucked), but they don't support penryn either.

Seriously, what am I supposed to do? What are the odds of Nvidia giving in and liscensing SLI to Intel? And if so, will I have to upgrade motherboards anyway or will it be retroactive to current boards (in other words, driver or hardware related)?
    3770k @ 5ghz 1.35v linx stable
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    8gb Samsung Green @ 2600mhz 11-11-11-31
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX850
    XSPC Watercooling

1 - my understanding is that the sli on intel chipset is a driver issue...no hacked drivers for the current gen cards, doubt if nvidia will license it anytime soon.

2 - the 780 chipset is supposed to release within the next month or so and it will support penryn (i wouldn't buy it anyway, as it's still a pos nvidia chipset)

3a - the reviews seem to show that a pair of 3870's in crossfire beats out a single gtx and oc'd they are even better...and cheaper.

3b - 38xxgx2 in the next couple months? in crossfire? mmmmmm
    -=Gaming Rig=-
    Sabertooth Z77 | i7-3770K | 2x 8gb Ballistix Elite DDR3-1866
    MSI HD7970 | Crucial m4 256gb | 2x WD RE4 1Tb RAID1
    LG 10x Blu-ray Burner | Enermax Revolution85+ 1050w
    CaseLabs M8 | Dell u2711 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Xonar DX > MisterX PPAv2 > DT880/250 w/ Cardas recable

-=Mobile=-
    Macbook Pro | i7 | 8gb | 256gb | Retina
    iPad 3 | 32gb | WiFi
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I've had 3, and 680i never killed my ram

You want SLI, buy nvidia chipset...which should arrive next month in the form of 780i
    E8400
    ECS 8800GT-SLI
    Asus Striker II
    OCZ 4GB

Xtreme Addict
    odd are unlikely anytime in the near future, 780i may be decent, dont think many have samples yet. Anyway I wouldnt mind picking up a 3870, but iam gonna pass on it. Would be nice if F@H GPU client could support it, i would def pick on up then, i just put an order in for a x1950xt just for folding though, need to get up in the stats.
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    Oh geez you just bummed me out, I haven't tried any higher settings than medium. Are you saying that you're overclocked to 4ghz ?

Are you on Vista or XP?

Xtreme Mentor
    There are a couple of variables.

If Nvidia can't sell their chipsets because Intel's made their chips incompatible/crap with their platform, then it might push them to share the technology and collect royalty. I think they will probably wait and see what happens in early '08 with AMD vs. Intel. Considering Phenom looks like a major flop and Intel will likely dominate again next year, it's very likely Nvidia will share their tech with Intel. From a purely business perspective there is no reason why Nvidia would hold off on sharing the technology if it will make them more money. Besides, they might not even have a choice if indeed Intel intentionally sabotaged compatibility. And even if they didn't it's looking like it will work out in Intel's favor. At the end of the day it's what makes the $$$ and not who can piss the furthest.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think intel should disable ALL nvidia video cards from working with intel chipsets, as well as all intel cpu's from working on all nvidia chipsets. Nvidia would break down very quickly...
    3770k @ 5ghz 1.35v linx stable
    Asus Maximus V Extreme
    8gb Samsung Green @ 2600mhz 11-11-11-31
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX850
    XSPC Watercooling

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by computerpro3 View Post
    I think intel should disable ALL nvidia video cards from working with intel chipsets, as well as all intel cpu's from working on all nvidia chipsets. Nvidia would break down very quickly...
    Meanwhile consumers switch to AMD while the government fines Intel in the range of tens of billions for breaking antitrust law..
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.81GHz (423MHz x 9) 1.47v vcore + Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme w/ Scythe S-Flex 120mm
    2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2 6400 @ 1016MHz 5-5-5-15 (5:6)
    Leadtek 8800GTS 640mb @ 650/1000
    DFI LANParty UT P35 T2R
    Corsair HX520
    Lian-Li PC-A70b
    Seagate 7200.10 320GB (primary) + Seagate 7900.9 160GB + Maxtor Plus9 160GB + Western Digital MyBook 500GB Premium ES Edition

Viewsonic VX2025wm

Xtreme Member
    Why would that break antitrust law?
    Does nVidia break antitrust law by not supporting SLI on Intel chipsets?

What law says Intel has to follow the PCIe-2.0 spec to the letter?
    What law says Intel has to disclose the Nehalem specs or new socket specs to nVidia?

And if Intel would keep nVidia in the cold, I think people would still buy Intel chipset and cpu's even if they buy AMD graphic-accelerators.

Banned
    Have you been living under a rock ?.

INTEL are already in a legal case over Antitrust issues.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    There are a couple of variables.

If Nvidia can't sell their chipsets because Intel's made their chips incompatible/crap with their platform, then it might push them to share the technology and collect royalty. I think they will probably wait and see what happens in early '08 with AMD vs. Intel. Considering Phenom looks like a major flop and Intel will likely dominate again next year, it's very likely Nvidia will share their tech with Intel. From a purely business perspective there is no reason why Nvidia would hold off on sharing the technology if it will make them more money. Besides, they might not even have a choice if indeed Intel intentionally sabotaged compatibility. And even if they didn't it's looking like it will work out in Intel's favor. At the end of the day it's what makes the $$$ and not who can piss the furthest.
    It will not "make" nvidia more money, because they will be losing the whole chipset market, and we know that ATI cannot make a single card that is faster than an 8800GTX now, yet alone an 8800 Ultra.

As soon as 780i drops and the next gen nvidia cards, everyone here is going to upgrade and, like it or not, that means if your going to SLI those new video cards that you will buy a 780i.

Nvidia just needs to hold out and have 780i working when it drops next month, and judging by what K|ngp|n has done, nvidia has beaten intel here.

Intel has nothing they can offer nvidia that could possibly be worth SLI. Nvidia will make tons of money selling 3*750$ video cards and a 300$ motherboard to people.
    Last edited by fhpchris; 11-24-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fhpchris View Post
    It will not "make" nvidia more money, because they will be losing the whole chipset market, and we know that ATI cannot make a single card that is faster than an 8800GTX now, yet alone an 8800 Ultra.

As soon as 780i drops and the next gen nvidia cards, everyone here is going to upgrade and, like it or not, that means if your going to SLI those new video cards that you will buy a 780i.

Nvidia just needs to hold out and have 780i working when it drops next month, and judging by what K|ngp|n has done, nvidia has beaten intel here.

Intel has nothing they can offer nvidia that could possibly be worth SLI. Nvidia will make tons of money selling 3*750$ video cards and a 300$ motherboard to people.
    How many people in the world buy 3 750$GPU's and plus a 300$ plus motherboard???There might be some but they are very few compared to the other that buy just one card

Xtreme Member
    If you are arguing for those who buy just one card...what's your point? Then the whole reason for this arguement would be null and void.

Nvidia would however make a lot of money by opening up support to x38 mobos IF 3870s weren't a better option than 8800GTs anyway...
    E8600 4.5ghz folder
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
    2xPowercolor HD 2900XT (modded to run constant 3d clocks)
    Swiftech H220 Ultra Apex

Xtreme Addict
    you know this is really pissing me off.... I was in the same boat as OP is.
    so I went sli, gfx wise it kills my single gtx overclocked even though I cant OC my system as well and now I cant even go quad finally since I waited for the 45nm chips. so that leaves me here with a nice SLI setup I cant upgrade to a quad on.... but the 3870's are looking good and since I have to buy another mobo anyway for 45nm quad you know what, nvidia. I am gonna buy a x38 and a couple 3870's and call it a day.
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    How many people in the world buy 3 750$GPU's and plus a 300$ plus motherboard???There might be some but they are very few compared to the other that buy just one card
    Alot.

Look how many people here have 680i and 8800Ultra/8800GTX SLI.

When a next generation card drops and the midrange cards are faster than Ultras are today, you will buy one or two or three and be happy.

3870s are slower than a GTX, so I do not really see where the amazing part of this is...

780i drops next month, and it will be a very amazing solution. 2-3 8800GTs will be fast, alot faster than any 3870 set will ever be.

Xtreme Member
    How can you be so certain that 2-3x8800GTs will be faster than any 3870 CF setup will ever be? I imagine 3x8800GT SLI vs 4x38x0 CF would be a good matchup in pure performance & price/performance.
    Giga UD4P - i7 920 - 6x2GB STT DDR3 - 2x Visiontek HD 4850 - Adaptec 3085 - 2x32GB Patriot Warp - 4x320GB Seagate ES RAID5 - DD TDX - Ultra X3 800

Xtreme Addict
    and triple SLI won't work in Vista till 2009...