Thread: Need advice on overclocking my 8800GTX

Need advice on overclocking my 8800GTX

Hey everyone i've been running this system for about 3mths(specs in signature)..My 3DMARK06 score are acceptable to me http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3797968
    Now i know that my score can be alot better if i overclock my 8800GTXs, can anyone advise me as to how i go about doing this..i did try to do this using ntune but the settings never stayed by the time i'm ready to run the benchmark the settings are back to normal...is there another program i can use...thanks in advance...

Xtreme Member
    That's a damn nice score! Beat me by a few hundred points at the same CPU clocks, but I have SLI GTS's...

I'd use rivatuner to OC the graphics card, Ntune is garbage and should be uninstalled, it's been known to corrupt peoples BIOS's.
    EVGA z68 FTW
    i7 2600k @ 4.8
    8gb DDR3 1600
    3x GTX 580 3gb HydroCopper2
    Silverstone Strider 1500W
    Areca 1880i w/ 6x intel x25m
    On water

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tet5uo View Post
    That's a damn nice score! Beat me by a few hundred points at the same CPU clocks, but I have SLI GTS's...

I'd use rivatuner to OC the graphics card, Ntune is garbage and should be uninstalled, it's been known to corrupt peoples BIOS's.
    Well, I use nTune and Riva Tuner 2.06 and I've never had nTune screw up my GPU BIOS nor mobo BIOS. nTune is quick to learn and gives decent overclocks. Riva Tuner has a bit of a steep learning curve but worth the effort once you get use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Cobra=- View Post
    Hey everyone i've been running this system for about 3mths(specs in signature)..My 3DMARK06 score are acceptable to me http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3797968
    Now i know that my score can be alot better if i overclock my 8800GTXs, can anyone advise me as to how i go about doing this..i did try to do this using ntune but the settings never stayed by the time i'm ready to run the benchmark the settings are back to normal...is there another program i can use...thanks in advance...
    Using nTune you must run the Test and then Apply the OC before you run the benchmark. Use the following settings for max performance:

The Money Trap = Intel i7 3930K | Corsair H100 push/pull fans | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill DDR3 2133 9-11-10 CR1 | 2 x EVGA 680 SC+ Signature SLI | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - OS, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Games - backup WD HDDs | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200w | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Xtreme Member
    ntunes isn't garbage but I have had issues on and off with it in the past. I have three video cards (5 monitors) on my one desktop and the best tool I have used is Rivatuner to overclock and keep the OC after reboot.

The issues I have had with ntunes in the past range from BSOD, monitor reading errors, options disappearing from the utility menu, OC settings resetting to default after reboot even after I told the utility to hold my settings, and so on.

Ntune is great for overclocking your gpu, but only the gpu.

Never try to overclock your cpu or ram with ntune, it is garbage for that.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Cobra=- View Post
    16k on a GTX? or are you on SLI? how'd you guys do that? the highest i could get with my XFX GTX (OCed to core 650/mem 1030/pix 1650) is only 13-14k

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yer I wouldn't use Ntune for anything other than GPU. I like it, because if I get a lock up after a big overclock, I just hit reset, and all my setting are back to normal.

HOWEVER I do have one issue with Ntune, I bet no one else has. My test button has overnight just disapeared altogether. Now it doesn't need to be stable with the test, I just hit apply. I can actually get higher clocks on my core now hahaha.
    A bit wierd though that its gone lol

Quote Originally Posted by emoners View Post
    16k on a GTX? or are you on SLI? how'd you guys do that? the highest i could get with my XFX GTX (OCed to core 650/mem 1030/pix 1650) is only 13-14k
    Quad core cpu is a big factor.

Quote Originally Posted by The0men View Post
    Yer I wouldn't use Ntune for anything other than GPU. I like it, because if I get a lock up after a big overclock, I just hit reset, and all my setting are back to normal.

HOWEVER I do have one issue with Ntune, I bet no one else has. My test button has overnight just disapeared altogether. Now it doesn't need to be stable with the test, I just hit apply. I can actually get higher clocks on my core now hahaha.
    A bit wierd though that its gone lol
    Test is gone in the recent drivers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Quad core cpu is a big factor.

Test is gone in the recent drivers.
    O thanks dude, I didn't even notice it gone when I installed them, so yer it must not have ever been there lol.