Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Candy Cube - Water and Air !!

Xtreme Member

Project Candy Cube - Water and Air !!

I'm finally starting work on my Mountain Mods Opti 1203, i've had the case for 6 months but i was finishing other things and i've spent hours staring at this damn box planning and visualising what i could do to it ! The final plan is quite minimal compared to some ideas i've had, i want it to look neat and tidy inside as well as showing off the simplicity of the cube shaped exterior. I'm going to attempt to hide as much as possible cabling wise with stealth covers and the use of Aluminium mesh and acrylic whilst having one watercooled loop cooling the Q6600 and 8800 Ultra (on a Thermalright PA120.3) and the chipset on the Asus P5k deluxe air cooled with heatsinks and Thermalright HR05 ifx North and South bridge heatsinks. There will be a total of eight 120mm fans (including two Scythe Kama Bays in the 5.25" bays of the OPti) so i'm hoping for good temps whilst not overloading with tubes and wires !
    I'd like to say a big thanks to Tom at Chlled PC who supplied most of the parts and went to the extent of sourcing parts he does'nt normally stock, and to Bry at Hangar 17 for his support !

Fistly, theres a few things i did'nt like about the MM. The side panels are 1mm aluminium with a large acrylic window (i bought the case 2nd hand so these panels were allready with it) i found them a little flimsy so i'm going to make new ones out of acrylic. The powdercoat whilst looking good and is well finished for the cause is not really what i wanted for this project. I thought there was quite a bit of orange Peel effect on the finish so i thought i'd try flatting on one of the spare side panels to see how it would look !

You can see the orange Peel below :-

1000 grit wet and dry :-

Then 2500 grit, you can see the paint is flatting (not yet polished) :-

And with a little elbow grease !

It was at this point that i knew i wanted the case painted. This little piece had taken an hour to do (at my 1st time trying ) and you know how big these cases are so weighing up my total lack of skill in the fine finish painting arena and the ideas i had for the case i went to see the professionals which is where the case has been for two weeks and i'm about to leave to pick it up, i'll be back later with a totally different case and i cant wait to show you guys as i saw it pre laquer and its a bit mad lol !!
    I'll leave you with a shot of some of the components to squeeze into the box !

Last edited by Colossous; 11-21-2007 at 07:12 PM.
    Hark children of the Resolution !!

Xtreme Mentor
    Wooo, can't wait for more!

I am Xtreme
    nice!!! more update's!!

can you take some close-ups of you ek g80 wb please mate... i dunno if i want the acrylic or acetal!! pics please!!

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossous View Post

[I][COLOR="Navy"]Fistly, theres a few things i did'nt like about the MM. The side panels are 1mm aluminium with a large acrylic window

Correction - the aluminum panels are 1.65mm exactly.

Ive seen a little teaser and...

To infinity, and beyond! (Azza was taken )

Xtreme Addict
    the more times i see beautiful UFO cases the more my wish to get one of them .

Sorry for my bad English

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMods View Post
    Correction - the aluminum panels are 1.65mm exactly.
    Apologies guys, like i said i got the case 2nd hand and they were'nt in the best of condition, i love your cases and realise it sounded like a flame when i read it back !!
    Disruptfam, uploading pics now to photobucket and i've taken one of the EK block for you !

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    nice!!! more update's!!

can you take some close-ups of you ek g80 wb please mate... i dunno if i want the acrylic or acetal!! pics please!!

cheers
    Not the best pic (its dark now and its the camera's built in flash !) but it gives you the idea dude !

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Stop it you and get me some piccys

Xtreme Member
    Ok, the case is back in my grubby hands and WOW did these guys do a good job !
    The case was flatted 1st and the guys applied a thin layer of this crazy rainbow finish sparkly flake (best seen in sunlight !) before applying candy red paint and rolling clingfilm on it whilst the red was wet to give a marbled texture then lots of laquer and flatting !!
    I saw an American custom car with candy red paint way back in the day (over gold instead of black as here) and it had to be this finish for me !! The weird thing is it seems to change colour and texture from every angle and with different types of light and it made it hard to photograugh along with that mirror shine !! I'll let the pics speak.........

And with flash (see how it changes !) allthough you'd swear it was without the flash !

And mobo tray out !

And again, a different look in different light !

And so the work begins, more updates soon. Any suggestions then fire away folks !

Last edited by Colossous; 11-21-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossous View Post
    Apologies guys, like i said i got the case 2nd hand and they were'nt in the best of condition, i love your cases and realise it sounded like a flame when i read it back !!
    Disruptfam, uploading pics now to photobucket and i've taken one of the EK block for you !
    No worries, just wanted to make sure the material thickness was accurately stated.

That's a beautiful looking finish you received, btw!

I am Xtreme
    While I am not a fan of the cube, she looks damn sexy in red.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice color & paint job men
    Intel Core i7 930@ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD4P | 3x2Gb OCZ 1600mhz | Palit GTX280 | 1TB Seagate | Samsung P2350 23'' | Silverstone Decathlon DA750W | Lian-Li PC777B | Logitech Z-5500 | Creative X-Fi| Iphone 4

Hardwarena Overclock Team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMods View Post
    No worries, just wanted to make sure the material thickness was accurately stated.

That's a beautiful looking finish you received, btw!
    Thanks folks, i'm really chuffed with the finish, now i have to do the interior justice !

That looks freaking aweomse Rich.

Glad the case is serving you well.

To infinity, and beyond! (Azza was taken )

I am Xtreme
    sexy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Member
    Holy crap! Very nice effect with the paint!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That paint job is incredible.

...Just switch those blue thumbscrews for black ones, and your good to go!
    Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 - Load @ 32c°| Gigabyte P35 DS3P | 2gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2-8500| eVGA 8800GTX| X-fi Fatal1ty | OCZ GameXStream 600w | Custom Watercooled | Custom-built Case

Dtek Fuzion | DD Maze4 Acetal | Swiftech MCR-320 | DD D5

3dMark01 3dMark05 3dMark06 Aq3 SuperPi

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't beleive in passive cooling.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Amazing
    Chilled PC UK - Watercooling Parts, Any Custom work undertaken including Laser Cutting (any parts, grills, side panels, brackets etc), Anodising, Powdercoating , Custom Spraying and Airbrushing, Fabrication, Watercooling Installs and more all done to the highest standard.

International shipping no problem, even on Cases!

Xtreme Mentor
    AMAZING job man!

Xtreme Member
    Subscribed
    Main Components
    QX9650 @ 4.5GHz | Asus Maximus Formula SE | HD3870 Crossfire | 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500
    150gb Raptor X | 2x Hitachi 500gb | 2x Seagate 500gb
    Silverstone TJ-07 | Coolermaster Real Power 1000w
    EK Supreme | EK-FC3870 CF
    Thermochill PA120.3 | Thermochill PA120.2
    Swiftech MCP655

Xtreme Member
    Cheers for the nice comments folks !
    I'm working all weekend but will try and get some small jobs done (got a load of sleeving to do !!) and the last lot of parts are on the way so i can start on the case interior !!
    Lol, the old blue thumbscrews are there as temps Vice, i have some nice anodised red ones to go with the case but the blue ones were good whilst the painting was underway !

Xtreme Guru
    looks great. All you need is phase and you'll have the three major 24/7 coolers!

love the paint job, combine it with the right cathodes on the inside for the coolant and you'll have a definite 1337 computer!

Only thing I'd have to gripe about would be the galaxy power supply, there are better out there, especially since you obviously have quite a bit of money, but otherwise looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

that paint job is amazing!
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    looks great. All you need is phase and you'll have the three major 24/7 coolers!

love the paint job, combine it with the right cathodes on the inside for the coolant and you'll have a definite 1337 computer!

Only thing I'd have to gripe about would be the galaxy power supply, there are better out there, especially since you obviously have quite a bit of money, but otherwise looks good
    Cheers Alig, the theme for the interior is black and red also and i've put a lot of thought into lighting it, thats the hard bit to visualise till you see it in action so there may be some changes !!
    Lol, I'm a chef so not the richest of people !! I bought the case 2nd hand from Baron on here and the paint work was'nt as crazy a price as you'd imagine, the guys who did it were really cool and were interested in the novelty of it instead of their normal car/motor cycle work so i think they went easy on the estimate - maybe worth you guys trying a similar approach ! Its the culmination of about 6 months planning and aquiring bits i guess !!
    Its my 1st watercooling build (in at the deep end lol) so i think phase is too far away lol !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast