Thread: High Latency

High Latency

I play a lot of online games and my ping has been pretty high. In games like CS:S I keep getting killed because of this and it's pissing me off. I'm using an USB card to get the signal from the router that's in the living room about 15ft away. So is there another way to lower the ping, before I tried Wireless Zero Config. when I had XP Home and it worked but now it's not working as before with Pro. Any suggestions would be helpful.

My first suggestion would be to get rid of wireless.

second is to try tcpoptimizer

third is to print here the output of tracert.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ser710 View Post
    I play a lot of online games and my ping has been pretty high. In games like CS:S I keep getting killed because of this and it's pissing me off. I'm using an USB card to get the signal from the router that's in the living room about 15ft away. So is there another way to lower the ping, before I tried Wireless Zero Config. when I had XP Home and it worked but now it's not working as before with Pro. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    latency effects both people. and makes it actually harder for the other person to kill you.
    you my see a herky jerky motion or warping and he would see the same thing.
    if your not seeing EVERYONE warp or almost everyone then latency isnt whats doing it.

usb adapters are crap dont use them especially for gaming.
    go to walmart or whatever you have in your area and buy a cheap 10/100 NIC and use it.
    wireless latency usually isnt a factory unless you have a crapy signal, you can verify this with your wireless utility.

as rogard said do a tracert

start --> run --> cmd
    once the dos prompt opens type
    tracert www.yahoo.com

it will print out a bunch of stuff. copy it however you like. a screen shot is simplist.

if you know the IP of the CS server you play on then ping that instead of yahoo.

also depending on your system specs you could be dealing with graphical lag not latency.

lastly and this is a 2 part possibility.
    you arent that good and you're just looking for a reason not to admit you arent that good.
    Counterstrike ever since it first came out until this very day. has some of the worst hit detection ever put into a game.
    it just is plain 'ol retarded. and you just kinda have to deal with it.

there are also those that use trainers to get head shots or perfect shots or other hacks....
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I dont know what happend but I got something about waiting time being over from the 2nd to the 10th line. It's in spanish so that was the idea of the message. It's not about my specs, as I said before with Win. Home the wireless zero configuration trick was working but now it's not with Win Pro.

I want to go with ethernet but for some reason when I put the cable in the ethernet port, I don't get a signal. I have a Logitech Play Link that I use for my Xbox and it works perfectly so I decided to test it with the PC to see the difference and which one is better. So when I plug it to the ethernet port the green light turns on but not the yellow one. How can I activate my ethernet port?

Quote Originally Posted by ser710 View Post
    I want to go with ethernet but for some reason when I put the cable in the ethernet port, I don't get a signal. I have a Logitech Play Link that I use for my Xbox and it works perfectly so I decided to test it with the PC to see the difference and which one is better. So when I plug it to the ethernet port the green light turns on but not the yellow one. How can I activate my ethernet port?
    ensure the network card drivers are installed via device manager,
    if they are remove let windows re-detect, if still no go install new drivers,
    ensure that you have dhcp on the router turned on or a static ip assigned as required for your setup,
    try a different network cable ensure it is a straight through and not a crossover,

if all the above fails iam affraid you are going to have to buy a new network card as it is likely to be faulty.
    Intel E6600 Core 2 DUO
    Asus P5B Deluxe
    4 X 1GB DDR2 PC6400 C4 Geil Ultra low latency
    1 X Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 2 HDD
    Scythe Infinity Heatsink
    500W Seasonic PSU
    1 X PNY 8800GT
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / Ubuntu 10.10

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1248798928.png

Xtreme Member
    It really all depends on your internet carrier, or where you live. I live on Guam and it's the worst place for online gaming. I just learned to deal with it even though i am still pissed about it.

|Asus P5N-E SLI |E4300 (1.8Ghz) |PNY 9600GT 512mb |
    |Corsair 2GB XMS2 DDR2 675 |Corsair HX 520W Power Supply |Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2 Hard-Drive |

I have no clue what happened but now the WZC works. I got Optimun Voice and they gave me a new router. Now it works fine. I only want to know something. How can I make my Wi-Fi private? I don't want somebody else using the connection which is going to lower the bandwitdh I get. When I click on the connections some of them are set to private, to recieve a signal from them you have to put a password. I want the same thing, how do I do it?

Xtreme Addict
    to secure your wlan you have to set an encryption. check your router settings for wep or wpa encryption. i recommend to use atleast wpa-encryption, as wep is pretty much outdated and easy to crack.
    the best option would be wpa2, but not every router suports it. furthermore you have to check what encryption standards your network card in your laptop/pc supports.
    you have to find the highest common denominator between your network card and your router.
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Mentor
    Are you sure its not your GPU? I played CS:S using an old system with onboard gfx a while ago and it was only getting 1-4 FSP MAX LOL! Honestly I was killed without even the picture changing 99% of the time.