Thread: TJ-07 & PA120.3 Fan's

TJ-07 & PA120.3 Fan's

Hi ,
    Finally getting all parts together for a 1st time shot at WCing. Have a TJ-07 case and plan on placing my PA120.3 in lower compartment. Would someone that has this case tell me the best position to place fans on Pa120.3. I have seen so many different configurations. I will be using 3 Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm fans. I have a drawing that shows the possible ways. Please let me know your opinions

Thank-You,
    Ted

Xtreme Member
    What a coincidence, I have the exact same setup as you are planning on using.

I have a PA120.3 using 3 scythe s-flex @ 1200RPM.

I am using the first method where I push the air through the rad, it works well for me.
    Rig // PC-A7010 :: Revo85+ 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB Redline :: GTX 260
    Raptor-X RAID-0 :: 4x WD1001FALS RAID-5 ARC-1210 :: 2x WD1002FBYS RAID-1 :: 3x WD15EARS :: 7 Pro x64
    2408WFP :: G15v2 :: G5v2 :: Auzen Forte :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD

Xtreme Enthusiast

Two diff systems there, but both exactly the same. works well
    Chilled PC UK - Watercooling Parts, Any Custom work undertaken including Laser Cutting (any parts, grills, side panels, brackets etc), Anodising, Powdercoating , Custom Spraying and Airbrushing, Fabrication, Watercooling Installs and more all done to the highest standard.

International shipping no problem, even on Cases!

I have a similar system and the only thing i notice is that having the fans close to grill creates a low humming noise that can be annoying depending on how fast your fans r spinning.
    Water cooled TJ-07
    PA 120.3 + BlackIce extreme 3 2*DCC rev2
    fuzion
    Striker Extreme
    E6600 L629 B365
    2*7900gtx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    +1 on config #1 from your diagram. can't hear any humming with undervolted yates, works well for me

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welshtom View Post

Two diff systems there, but both exactly the same. works well
    Hi wlshtom, I like how you put the rad in the top of the case. Can you tell me more how you mounted the rad and the fans? Do you have any close up pictures?

I am about to do the same thing in my tj07 and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Xtreme Member
    Pulling is better on Thermochill rads. The difference is between 1 and 3°C
    System: E8400 // P5Q-E // Ballistix // HD3850 // HX520 http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=419486

Thermochill pa120.3 // D-tek FuZion bowed+ costum nozzle // MCW60 // EK150 // dcc1 18w w/top

Banned
    I might try pulling air on mine. My project is particular in such that the fans is not between the top and the radiator due to space constraints. I'm forced to put the fans below and push air upward to work and if some say pulling will lower the temps a bit, I'll try that tonight by reversing the fans.

Xtreme Member
    My build log will show you how to fit a PA120.3 in a TJ-07

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=146870
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2740 copy.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	68346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2910 copy.jpg 
Views:	1143 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	68349  

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Fans on inside of rad, pulling outside air thru the radiator.

Will also compare shrouded, unshrouded, suck (pull), and blow (push) air-flows.

Was just messing with the equipment a bit last night, putting a Yate-Loon on a PA120.1 radiator with a shroud, in suck or blow arrangement. I was able to position the anemometer on the other side of the radiator to get an idea of the evenness of the air-flow through the radiator. Used the tachometer to measure the fan speeds, and the noise meter the fan noise levels. I haven't calibrated the fan noise levels yet to any base reference point, so I won't report the absolute values I got, just the relative values.

Free-air: +0dBA noise, 1480rpm speed
    Shroud Suck: -2.7dBA noise (i.e. quieter), 1350rpm speed
    Shroud Blow: -3.0dBA noise (i.e. quieter), 1460rpm speed

I found the noise level differences, and the fan speed differences to be quite intriguing. If the fan is spinning faster, it's pushing more air-flow in the blow-mode.

However, using the anemometer on the other side found that with the shroud, in blow mode, the air coming out the edges of the radiator had about an 80% higher velocity than the air coming out the dead-center. In suck mode, the overall air-velocity appeared lower (will need to measure properly later on full-testbed), but it was more even, with only about a 25% variation between the edges (higher) and the dead-center (lower).

So yeah - this throws a cloud over the general suck/blow debate. The fan appears to like to blow much better than to suck, but the air-flow is less even, even though it's of a higher velocity. The fan is also quieter in blow-mode.

It would appear (without further testing) that putting a fan into blow-mode on a radiator with a really deep shroud (60cm) to straighten out the air-flow would be the best way to go, but that's not terribly practical.

*snip*

It seems to be a scenario of while blow creates more air-flow, the unevenness of the flow through the core hurts performance. Performance does not scale linearly with air-flow, and so it's always better to have even air-flow over the entire core area, rather than some areas receiving twice the air-velocity of other areas.
    Source: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...light=fan-pull

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post

well crap....not sure I can get 3 fans on the inside on my PA120.3 and TJ07 becasue of the PSU
    My Heat
    i5 2500k @4.5ghz Raystorm
    Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 16gb(4x4) G.Skill PC12800 Ripjaws X
    x1900xt MCW60
    Rad: Thermochill PA120.3 3YL SL/ Pump: DDC2 w/ Petra's top 7/16in ID masterkleer
    Corsair 120gb Force GT SSD/ 1TB WD Black Caviar SATA
    X-Fi music/SH-203B/H62L/LH-20A1L
    Corsair HX620w /Acer AL2223W/modded TJ07

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    well crap....not sure I can get 3 fans on the inside on my PA120.3 and TJ07 becasue of the PSU
    That's how I've got mine set up. Just have to position your rad correctly. Plenty of room down there.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post

Ok im confused, I thought using a shroud ~1 1/2" distances blowing thru the rad was best. If space is not a consideration (building case form scratch around these rads) what is the best setup for 3 YL 120mm Meduim fans on the radiator?

A. Shrould with fans 1 1/2 " (or whatever distance) from rad pushing air thru it.

B. Shrould with fans 1 1/2 " (or whatever distance) from rad pulling air thru it.

C. Fans directly on radiator pushing air thru it.

D. Fans directly on rad pulling air thru it.

E. None of the above.

And by best I mean most effective cooling, noise I can deal with by covering shroulds or putting rad & fans in a duct and covering the duct with sound absorbing material.