Thread: Expert modders: flashing 8800GT into PCIE "GEN1" mode!!

Expert modders: flashing 8800GT into PCIE "GEN1" mode!!

Old Today, 08:05 AM #1
    optimummind

Flashing 8800GT into GEN1 PCIE from GEN2 possible?
    Hi guys,

I have a problem here with my old, yet trusty ASRock 775Dual-VSTA (VIA PT880Pro) and the new eVGA 8800GT KO GPU. It turns out that the 8800GT is not compatible with the ASRock mobo due to the GPU being PCIE "GEN2" according to ASRock tech support. They say they have the card in their lab trying to getting it to work on the 775Dual-VSTA but so far, they can't get it to work on the VIA chipset.

They did say, however, that they managed to get the Asus 8800GT card to work by flashing the GPU BIOS as a "GEN1" PCIE GPU, from its default "GEN2" PCIE GPU status.

My eVGA 8800GT KO is coming later today and I anticipate that my card won't work.

Are there any experts here with the knowledge to modify the stock eVGA 8800GT KO BIOS to set the GEN2 into GEN1 status?

Of course, you guys would need the BIOS file first. Which program do I have to use to extract the BIOS?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

-Optimummind
    =Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    =ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
    =Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    =ATI Radeon 1900XT 512MB, PCIE
    =2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800
    =NEC NC-3520A DVD+/-R/RW
    =Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    =Antec NeoPower 480W

Xtreme Member
    Hmm, can't they send you the BIOS?
    If you install a BIOS that does not work it might be hard to fix the card...

Also, the PCI Express spec is supposed to be both backwards and forwards compatible, unlike AGP and PCI spec...

hes not taking about pci-e 1-2 i think hes talking about 1.0-1.1 were not all 1.1 do 1.0
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

The ASRock 775Dual-VSTA is a special hybrid mobo and therefore has its quirks. For instance, when the 8800GTS and 2900XT first came out, neither of them worked. The 2900XTs started working after a BIOS update from ASRock and the 8800GTSs started working after a new nVIDIA ForceWare driver.

Does anyone know of a program that would take a look at the BIOS and have an option to switch between PCIE GEN2 and PCIE GEN1?

-Optimummind
    =ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
    =Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    =2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800
    =NEC NC-3520A DVD+/-R/RW
    =Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    =Antec NeoPower 480W

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Latest version of NiBiToR probably will allow you to do that.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Latest version of NiBiToR probably will allow you to do that.
    If it does, then it'll be sweet.

In the meanwhile, I'm waiting for ASRock to either release an updated BIOS or for eVGA tech to send me the modified BIOS. eVGA told me I'd have to wait til Monday at the earliest.

So far, I'm pretty happy with eVGA's service. Whether they'll really send me a modified BIOS, I have to wait and see.

In the meanwhile, I'm running the eVGA 8800GT KO on a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R mobo. I had a hunch the 8800GT wouldn't work on the ASRock mobo, so I bought one at Fry's. I'd prefer to have my ASRock back, though, and save the $159.99 I spent at Fry's.

So, does anyone here have experience playing around with Nibitor and finding the option to change PCIE "generations"?

-Optimummind
    =ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
    =Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    =2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800
    =NEC NC-3520A DVD+/-R/RW
    =Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    =Antec NeoPower 480W

If you just run the latest Nibitor,

Tools > Read Bios > Select Device.. (choose card if more than one installed)

Click OK.

Then... Tools > Read Bios > Read Into Nibitor....

Now all the bios information has been loaded into Nibitor.

Now to change the Gen...

Tools > Set PCIE Gen > Choose...

Save then flash bios.