Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 8800GT bios for better overclocking! *test*

The Blue Dolphin

8800GT bios for better overclocking! *test*

*Update*

For 1.1v vGPU instead of 1.05v just choose 1.1v for the "extra" voltage under: Voltages-->Exact Mode
    The "Extra" voltage is either left bank, set to 1.05v or set to 1.1v in the stock BIOS'. In the last situation your vGPU is already set to 1.1v in the bios.
    Last edited by alexio; 02-16-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    The voltage setting isn't working as far as I know.
    The timings might help a bit, but setting tighter timings could also be beneficial ( that depends )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Legend
    nvidia guys said these RAM sticks are DDR2000 rated but offically they run at 1800

if they are 2400 why can't i go past 2100 roughly LOL

i am definitely interested in RAM timings though
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Whats the best tool to use for flashing these cards? I might give it a shot. My card current runs 42 idle / 58 load @ 758/1848/1040. I imagine I can push it more, but the core dies at around 775, the memory dies past 1060 and the shaders poop out past 1880.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    nvidia guys said these RAM sticks are DDR2000 rated but offically they run at 1800

if they are 2400 why can't i go past 2100 roughly LOL

i am definitely interested in RAM timings though
    Maybe he's got a card with different ICs, and not the "suggested" 1ns modules from Samsung/Hynix.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Maybe he's got a card with different ICs, and not the "suggested" 1ns modules from Samsung/Hynix.
    pretty sure initial reference design is all Gay-monda
    eerrrrrr Qimonda
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

And so these Qimonda, what are they rated at ? 1ns? Its been a while since I did the conversion, isn't that 2ghz spec? Where is this 2400mhz spec coming from? Is that what qimonda rates the modules that come with the card at default?

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by GregUMR View Post
    And so these Qimonda, what are they rated at ? 1ns? Its been a while since I did the conversion, isn't that 2ghz spec? Where is this 2400mhz spec coming from? Is that what qimonda rates the modules that come with the card at default?
    Qimonda makes different bins for chips. The chips are of the exact same model, just like E6300 vs E6850, just a different speed bin. The fastest GDDR3 ICs Qimonda sells are rated 0.8ns (DDR2400) with slack timings. The stock timings of the 8800GT are somewhere between 1.0ns and 1.1ns spec. They are 1.0ns, but run DDR1800 (1.1ns speed) at 1.8v +-0.05v instead of the recommended 2.0v +-0.05v.

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I assume I should use nvflash 5.50?

The Blue Dolphin
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I assume I should use nvflash 5.50?
    Yes and use this command: nvflash -4 -5 -6 new_bios_name.rom

Make sure to have a PCI card at hand or you'll have to flash back blindly to recover the card if anything goes wrong. The chance is small but this is an untested bios. I've heard from other people that the 1.05v->1.1v vcore mod doesn't work, it won't bother you though. Please test it just for the timings

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

I used to flash vid cards all the time but its been a few years. Whats the backup current bios command and is there a nice cd/floppy image available for booting dos? I'm sure I can google it when I get off work and fine one. Do you know if it is even possible to get the voltage on a nvidia card to be increased through the bios? Man I'd love to get 1.1 or 1.15 volts on that core. I currently have 740/1836/1020 stable on atitool. I'm pretty sure with those volts I could get 775/1890/1020 stable. I don't have a pci card unfortunetely, but I can always boot blind as long as I've got a nice floppy or cd, I've done it before. I do hope your bios isn't unstable tho!

The Blue Dolphin
    I used to flash vid cards all the time but its been a few years. Whats the backup current bios command
    nvflash -b backup.rom
    and is there a nice cd/floppy image available for booting dos? I'm sure I can google it when I get off work and fine one.
    http://www.abitfaq.it/files/drdflash.exe
    Do you know if it is even possible to get the voltage on a nvidia card to be increased through the bios?
    I don't think the 8800GT has the required circuity. Older cards like the 6800GT and 6800U could supply up to 1.5v (or even 1.6v?) from 1/3/1.4v stock.

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

I just tried to use nvflash and it claims that it can't detect any nvidia adapters. A quick nvflash -a returns the same message. I've only got the 1 evga 8800gt in my computer. I checked my dfi lanparty sli-dr nf4 board and set the init display first to pci-express. This changed nothing. Anyone got some ideas?

I was using nvflash version 5.50. Does that not support the 8800gt or something?

The Blue Dolphin
    *nvflash -4 -5 -6 new_bios_name.rom* didn't work?

Latest nvflash (5.57): http://www.mvktech.net/component/opt...4d0315a358280/

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

Well I didn't want to flash without first successfully backing up the bios I'll try this new version.

The Blue Dolphin
    Well I didn't want to flash without first successfully backing up the bios I'll try this new version.
    Nibitor can do this too, in windows. Latest version: http://www.mvktech.net/component/opt...19ab25724cb04/

Open Nibitor->tools->Read BIOS->Read into File

Blue Reviews:

Blue Guides:

Ok, flashed successfully now as the new 5.57 recognized my 8800gt fine. I just reinstalled the drivers, loaded up rivatuner, 1050 mem ( which crashed on me before ) and atitool scan for artifacts....instant green artifacts and hardlock. I'll let ya know if I get any improvements in core or shader speed.

Xtreme Legend
    can you undervolt the GFX card

NOW that would also be worth flashing for for many
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

i haven't tried your bios but i made a custom one and tried it out,

voltage 1 and 2 set to 1.1v
    voltage 3 and 4 set to 1v

this didn't help , my overclock on the core got worse, i haven't tried shaders

custom ram timings with default voltage: top-down, left-right,

it didn't help at all for the ram oc, looks like really crappy ram

Edit through NBitor and give it 1.2 volts. 1.15 should work too but I haven't tried it. This DOES work. I left specifics in the 8800GT volt mod thread. It looks like you raised idle and dropped 3D voltage. Edit the voltage table to give 1.2 volts and put 1.2 in extra and edit the VID for 1.2 for Extra and 3D.
    Last edited by JKDC; 11-09-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Anyone tried setting 2D clocks/voltages and 3D clocks/voltages in BIOS?

I currently have 1.1V in Extra and 750core/1825shader/1000mem 15min AtiTool stable... Will try 1.2 next and see where she goes from here. 50C under water.

Found a thread where 2D/3D voltages were set separately. Wonder if anyone can confirm BIOS mod with DMM?
    Last edited by F@32; 11-10-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Found new info

Sony KDL40 // ASRock P67 Extreme4 1.40 // Core i5 2500K //
    G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x2Gb // HD6950 2GB // Intel Gigabit CT PCIe //
    M-Audio Delta 2496 // Crucial-M4 128Gb // Hitachi 2TB // TRUE-120 //
    Antec Quattro 850W // Antec 1200 // Win7 64 bit

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDC View Post
    Edit through NBitor and give it 1.2 volts. 1.15 should work too but I haven't tried it. This DOES work. I left specifics in the 8800GT volt mod thread. It looks like you raised idle and dropped 3D voltage. Edit the voltage table to give 1.2 volts and put 1.2 in extra and edit the VID for 1.2 for Extra and 3D.
    What is stopping you from putting 1.4V in the BIOS? The chip?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDC View Post
    can you explain more how exactly you set over 1.1v with nibitor? i only see 1.1v as max available.
    Last edited by metro.cl; 11-11-2007 at 01:08 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Tried the bios vmod, didnt work for me, no gain on OC.

Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    can you explain more how exactly you set over 1.1v with nibitor? i only see 1.1v as max available.
    I don't think that soft mod will feed more than 1.1v. We need someone to verify it with DMM.

First you need to edit voltage table: Tools -> Voltage table editor (change entry 4 "VID 03" to 1.2v)

Next, update Voltages, VID mode first: Set 1.2v for "Voltage 4".

And lastly update Voltages, Exact mode "Extra":

I have set it to 1.2 and there is no difference in my OC from 1.1. I'm afraid volt mod is needed to get above that.

Next I will try to set 2D and 3D clocks. EDIT: I guess 8800GT has only Extra and no 3D, Throttle, 2D clocks in BIOS
    MKVTECH.NET
    Well it is not possible, in fact since we had only some GeForce 8800 GT BIOS's we just introduced the Extra setting as the GeForce 8800 GT doesn't have 2D, Thrtl and 3D at all. It uses a new structure with a 4th performance level which is new and only that one is active. So in the next version we might just hide the 2D, Thrtl and 3D in NIBiTor for the GeForce 8800 GT as those are no longer used nor valid and will never work. And no don't blaim us... This is NVIDIA that made this change on the BIOS structure and logic.
    Last edited by F@32; 11-11-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Extra info

Sony KDL40 // ASRock P67 Extreme4 1.40 // Core i5 2500K //
    G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x2Gb // HD6950 2GB // Intel Gigabit CT PCIe //
    M-Audio Delta 2496 // Crucial-M4 128Gb // Hitachi 2TB // TRUE-120 //
    Antec Quattro 850W // Antec 1200 // Win7 64 bit

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast