Thread: ATi AVIVO HD vs. Nvidia Purevideo HD comparison

Xtreme Enthusiast

ATi AVIVO HD vs. Nvidia Purevideo HD comparison

Driverheaven made an extensive comparison between both technologies and the results are quite surprising,if in games the IQ between both companies don't differ much, in the video area there are alot of differences.
    But I for one would tweak the sliders until I get the results I LIKE not the defaults of each tech.

It would be fair to say that the image quality we obtained from ATI and Nvidia hardware has given us a lot to think about. On one hand we have ATI with a superior level of detail; on the other we have Nvidia with much more intense and realistic colour, not only on skin but many areas of scenery too.

Source
    Before you complain about lag, think about Jesus. He lagged three days before respawning.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Nice stuff.
    Haven't checked the article yet, but if they've done defaults vs defaults then.... good job batman.
    ATi has noise reduction enabled by default and over 50% while nVIDIA has noise reduction disabled by default.

Xtreme Mentor
    You can decode AVC streams with PowerDVD and AVIVO with Aero enabled... so that's wrong in the article. And twice, because they based their opinion on that and it's wrong.

I'm with them with the image detail thing. In ATI it's much better.

In the colour department I'm not so sure. I tested a 8800GTX a while ago and I saw similar results as if the 8800 were like the 3870 and the 3870 were like the 9600, better colour by far in the ATI card. Maybe they have changed things with the 9600, will try to find one and test it. If true, a huge step forward for nVIDIA!

BTW a nice article, it's always nice to see a web that actually cares about IQ and not only framerates

EDIT: I've taken two screenshots of Aero during AVIVO HD decoding of Transformers HDDVD (H.264). Sorry, no thumbnail, Imageshack doesn't work for me right now :

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 04-21-2008 at 08:10 AM.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Live Long And Overclock
    Thank you for the additions, stargazer.

I would love to see how lower end cards + lower end CPUs handle HD media. I`ve had most trouble with HD mp4 files, myself. Really slows my notebook down. Maybe a combination of a Purevideo type solution + fast hard drive optimizes the experience.

As for the lack of color in the ATI video, I think you turn up the saturation in control center.

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 04-21-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    If you use PowerDVD, every card with UVD will handle Blu-Ray, HDDVD or any other source with H.264 or VC1 streams just fine, with only 1-10% CPU usage even with low end CPUs.

If you use other players for .mp4 or .mkv files containing H.264 video, UVD will not work, because AVIVO needs a dedicated codec that only PDVD has, and maybe WinDVD. I strongly suggest you to use CoreAVC to decode it. It's the fastest codec for H.264 decoding available out there (without hardware acceleration), I can play 5-10mbps 1080p files perfectly fine with a Pentium-M 1,6GHz laptop. Also a somewhat fast HDD will be required
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

I am Xtreme
    very good very indepth article, i actually read the whole thing

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XS2K View Post
    Driverheaven made an extensive comparison between both technologies and the results are quite surprising,if in games the IQ between both companies don't differ much, in the video area there are alot of differences.
    But I for one would tweak the sliders until I get the results I LIKE not the defaults of each tech.

Source

Interesting article, it's always nice to learn a bit here and there.

PS, nice avatar
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    If you use PowerDVD, every card with UVD will handle Blu-Ray, HDDVD or any other source with H.264 or VC1 streams just fine, with only 1-10% CPU usage even with low end CPUs.

If you use other players for .mp4 or .mkv files containing H.264 video, UVD will not work, because AVIVO needs a dedicated codec that only PDVD has, and maybe WinDVD.
    Not anymore, now you can get UVD and PureVideo 2 GPU acceleration working in Media Player Classic (the media player of choice for HD content)
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    Not anymore, now you can get UVD and PureVideo 2 GPU acceleration working in Media Player Classic (the media player of choice for HD content)
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123537
    nice news indeed! I wasn't aware of it. But as they say, there are a few issues that forces me not to use it

* For Vista users, select EVR or EVR Custom --> I always use Overlay in Vista, it gives you better IQ, the less resolution the video has, the more noticeable the IQ enhancement becomes.
    * For DXVA and subtitles support select VMR7(9) Renderless or EVR Custom. --> Same as above.
    * Video decoder should be connected directly to the renderer. This means that no intermediate filters such as DirectVobSub or ffdshow can be inserted between decoder and video renderer. --> This ruins all the softsubs concept, and I watch anime with softsubs everyday. DirectVobSub is a must.

Not an option for me, but a great one for others

Xtreme Enthusiast
    both cards are really good. But I think for the average joe, more vibrant colors would be more important since most do not really look at the fine details when watching from afar.

just my 0.02.

Rig Specs
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 4.0ghz 1.37v - DFI Lanparty UT P35 TR2 - 4x1GB Team Xtreem DDR2-1066 - Palit 8800GT Sonic 512MB GDDR3 256-bit
    160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II 8MB Cache - 320GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Liteon 18X DVD-Writer /w LS
    640GB Western Digital SE16 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache - Corsair HX 620W Modular PSU - Cooler Master Stacker 832
    Auzen 7.1 X-Plosion - Zalman ZM-DS4F - Sennheiser HD212 Pro - Edifier M2600

Custom Water Cooling
    Dtek Fusion Extreme CPU Block - Swiftech MCR-220 - Swiftech MCP655-B - Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservior - 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD Tubings
    Dual Thermaltake A2018s 120mm Blue LED Smart fans.

www.mni-photography.site88.net

Quote Originally Posted by fireice2 View Post
    both cards are really good. But I think for the average joe, more vibrant colors would be more important since most do not really look at the fine details when watching from afar.

just my 0.02.
    but the default ati card has to be tuned or the gama and contrast are low so u can see text, if the monitor was spidered for each card it would be different
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Aint No Real Gangster
    I wonder if they considered that ATI and NVidia may use drivers that display differently from one frame to the next?

A single frame is a very poor way to judge the IQ of video.
    Specs
    Asus 780i Striker II Formula
    Intel E8400 Wolfdale @ 4050Mhz
    2x2GB OCZ Platinum @ 1200Mhz 5-4-3-18
    MSI 5850 1000Mhz/5000Mhz
    Wester Digital Black 2TB
    Antec Quatro 850W

Cooling
    Swiftech Apogee
    Swiftech MCP-600
    HardwareLabes Black Ice Extreme 2

Audio Setup
    X-fi w/AD8066, Clock mod, & polymer caps > PPAV2 > Grado SR60 & Grado SR325i & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & Beyerdynamic DT990 & AKG K701 & Denon D2000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WeStSiDePLaYa View Post
    I wonder if they considered that ATI and NVidia may use drivers that display differently from one frame to the next?

A single frame is a very poor way to judge the IQ of video.
    and how else would you recommend they do it.
    to me this is the fairest way of judging exact same frame see the differences <3 my mediacentres 3450

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    HQV Benchmark