Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built a Peltier Block with a Swiftech Apogee GT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by initialised View Post
    It'll be fine, I've got enough headroom on the PSU to run the 226W at 12V so theres no need to get a third PSU. It seemed like it was the terminal block that was heating up, it should be good for 30A but apparently not. As it heats up it's resistance increases so the current goes up and it heats up more, positive feedback. I just need to get some better cabling and use a stronger terminal block and maybe strap a heatsink to it.
    well like I said please just watch it! The reasons not to use a pc psu is because you need to change the wires in it to a bigger gauge and you should never use a malox(sp) connector you should use wire ties!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    well like I said please just watch it! The reasons not to use a pc psu is because you need to change the wires in it to a bigger gauge and you should never use a malox(sp) connector you should use wire ties!
    I can use a spare pair of PCI-E leads and a spare 8-Pin motherboard connector to spread the current (and heat) load through the PSUs cabling (11 leads each way). As it is the bottle neck is the terminal block, it's insulation melted. So if I get a couple of grounding blocks (solid nickel coated brass with 16 terminals, £1 each in the clearance bins at my local hardware store) and wire one to +12V1 and +12V2 and the other to ground I should be OK, ceramic casing and some cooling would help too.

I'm not going to try running the 350W this way, that's what the auxiliary PSU is for.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Addict
    Wow this thread is a blast from the past!

It came up while I was image searching as I'm finally selling the block.

Anyway, I stripped the epoxy and cleaned up the block and it's been running my Q6600 at 3.6GHz ever since, never did get it to 4GHz.

Remembering how bad it was when I got it (clogged up with what looked like dried out algae) I though I'd crack it open and clean it up, really not bad, a little dye residue from the pink goo (aka Halfords 5 year Anti Freeze). Just goes to show what a quality product it was putting up with all that abuse!

Just in case anyone still reads TEC Cooling do you have any links for 1155/56 or AM2/3(+) adapters for the Apogee GT?
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12