Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD to start 45nm ramp in H1 2008

Banned

Arrow AMD to start 45nm ramp in H1 2008

Quote Originally Posted by XbitLabs
    “First, we are on track relative to having basic yields in place in our factories on material that we’re running today. We’re building 45nm microprocessors as we speak and those two facts give us increasing confidence in the public statements we’ve been making for some time around our intent to be starting our production ramp of 45nm processors in the first half of next year,” Mr. Meyer said.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/d...022211442.html

STRICTLY AMD ONLY PLEASE , ty to Zornundo for finding this as well
    Last edited by perkam; 10-25-2007 at 04:32 AM.

Live Long And Overclock
    I'm not going to allow bashing of AMD of any kind or any sarcastic or tongue in cheek posts of anykind, or any fanboy comments for that matter.

Let's keep it clean.

I have a considerable amount of patience, but it has its limits, and considering that XS News is the second most updated and frequently visited section on XS, I would think people would like to keep their access to it.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

Whats interesting here is that AMD does have plans to come out with an octal core around 2009, with one on MCM and a native octo core as well.

I'll try to post a roadmap of this when I can, though I'm hoping 45nm will bring some architecture changes as well, perhaps to lose that 3ghz barrier X(

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 10-24-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I don't understand a bit.
    Does it mean they want to release first 45 nm CPUs on market in H1 2008 or they'll just start producing and release it in H2 2008/H1 2009?

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlamite View Post
    I don't understand a bit.
    Does it mean they want to release first 45 nm CPUs on market in H1 2008 or they'll just start producing and release it in H2 2008/H1 2009?
    Ramp basically means they'll start equipping facilities for 45nm in Q1 2008 for production in q4 2008 and retail in q1 2009.

Perkam

Xtreme Member

AMD 45nm ramp revisited, fabtech.

Fabtechs take.

AMD 45nm ramp revisited
    Oct 22, 2007 at 10:26 AM

News from last week’s AMD conference call that told us the company would start production of 45nm microprocessors in the first half of 2008 shouldn’t be looked at from the point of view of ‘volume production.’ The message that should be taken from the news is that at some time in the first six months of next year, AMD may well have a small amount of devices entering the supply-chain.

AMD has one big advantage over Intel at the 45nm node, namely the ability to push out the adoption of high-k dielectrics and metal gates until the 32nm node due to the use of SOI wafers.

The 45nm migration should start ‘mid-year,’ but with new immersion tools required, both qualified and ramped, we would still expect ‘volume production’ to be in 2009, not 2008, with a significant amount of Fab 36 production switched to 45nm by 2Q09.
    . C2Q Q9550 | Asus P5K Deluxe | 4x1GB Corsair TwinX CL4 DDR2-800 | CLUB 3D 4870X2 | .
    . Corsair HX620W | XtremeMusic | Antec P182 | TR 120 Ultra Extreme | Ultimate x64 .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    I'll try to post a roadmap of this when I can, though I'm hoping 45nm will bring some architecture changes as well, perhaps to lose that 3ghz barrier X(
    Perkam
    AMD has not been able to bring their 65nm process to the same level as 90nm. AMD's high-end CPU are still manufactured on 90nm. The process shrink from 90 to 65nm has hindered clock speed. Why do you think the shrink from 65 to 45nm would help clock speed?

To date Barcelonas < 1.8GHz are rare; I have never seen a 2GHz for sell. I'm just wondering how you reason AMD going from, struggling to produce 2GHz(quad) @ 65nm to 3GHz(quad) @ 45nm is likely?
    Last edited by Sup3rman; 10-24-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rman View Post
    AMD has not been able to bring their 65nm process to the same level as 90nm. AMD's high-end CPU are still manufactured on 90nm. The process shrink from 90 to 65nm has hindered clock speed. Why do you think the shrink from 65 to 45nm would help clock speed?

To date Barcelonas < 1.8GHz are rare; I have never seen a 2GHz for sell. I'm just wondering how you reason AMD going from, struggling to produce 2GHz @ 65nm to 3GHz @ 45nm is likely?
    Well I can't say much as it is, but retail Phenom X4s coming this November/December will reach current k8 speeds with ease.

Salvadar, no one's expecting these before 2009 as it is, which is fine by me as long as they improve steppings and yields on Barcelona throughout 2008.

Perkam

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Will they ever make a dual-core Barcelona that doesn't rely on having two cores disabled? That'd be the first step towards making money.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Banned
    what i really dont understand
    i know the benifits of SOI,your Cs and Cd decreases drammaticly and Id is increased about 30&#37;
    => so this should be good

But why is everyone having trouble with SOI then?
    can someone please fill me in

Xtreme Mentor
    It's starting to look up for AMD
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

@Bobsama, I thought that dual core Barcelona/Phenom was a standard dual core (maybe with some quads with 2 bad/disabled cores).

@Sup3rman, the shrink from 90nm to 65nm was just a shrink and yeah isn't yielding as good apparently as 90nm (though it has gotten much better). But if AMD has been putting more focus on 45nm that might be the reason why 65nm suffered some, they devoted more time/resources to getting 45nm perfected. Just throwing that out there as a possibility.
    Last edited by Cooper; 10-24-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Live Long And Overclock
    Positive and Negative about AMD are fine, as with other threads, lets just not invite the blue team over as this isn't about them

I have tried multiple times to ask Mr. Poncho, who happens to be an Intel employee, to mind his own business so as not to derail the thread with sarcastic and jeering posts but he doesn't seem to respond.

He is an intel employee after all and Fugger has such good relations with Intel, I can't forcefully throw him out, so there's little more I can do. Some people just can't respect the wishes of others.

@Bobsama, native dualcore k10 is codenamed Kuma and is coming end of q1 2008.

Perkam

Xtreme Mentor
    Well I can't say much as it is, but retail Phenom X4s coming this November/December will reach current k8 speeds with ease.

Salvadar, no one's expecting these before 2009 as it is, which is fine by me as long as they improve steppings and yields on Barcelona throughout 2008.

Perkam
    AMD should have an edge with 45nm as they and IBM have been working on 45nm for quite some time...
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i cant wait , 2x3870's a Phemon(anom) in a sweeet new Am2+ mobo would be awesome.

even tho intel have top cpu's atm i'm diggin the cheap prices amd is sellin the 6000+ unlocked multi and such , it works out 80 euro cheaper than an e6600

gl amd , you'll need it

it's looking better for AMD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Q1 09 would fit in nicely for a scheduled hardware update (AMD (past) to Intel (present) & back to AMD (future)).

perkam, so it's almost certainly SOI still then? I think SOI is needed for any future integration of ZRAM (possibly in Fusion maybe?) otherwise that money they threw at it would be wasted.

I am Xtreme
    Positive and Negative about AMD are fine, as with other threads, lets just not invite the blue team over as this isn't about them

I have tried multiple times to ask Mr. Poncho, who happens to be an Intel employee, to mind his own business so as not to derail the thread with sarcastic and jeering posts but he doesn't seem to respond.

He is an intel employee after all and Fugger has such good relations with Intel, I can't forcefully throw him out, so there's little more I can do. Some people just can't respect the wishes of others.

@Bobsama, native dualcore k10 is codenamed Kuma and is coming end of q1 2008.

Perkam
    Honest question and not jeering. Will Kuma or Phenom X2 really be Native Dual Core or Phenom X4 with two dead cores? Seems to me that pressing out two and four core packages are counter productive given the failure rates of even good yields. We know both AMD and that other company has a propensity to lie and try to turn failure into triumph Look at what AMD said about Tri-Core or X3? The truth would have easily been accepted.

I hope I'm wrong but AMD will have to show me this improved Process. After the last two years their word (and many others BTW) is worthless IMHO. I hope like hell they get it right. Without Competition we'll sooner or later go back to the Days of X2 across the board high @$$ed prices. Simple Supply and Demand dictates that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by FLG_Poncho View Post
    But bringing negative comments about Intel into an AMD thread is ok right? When this thread was originally "cleaned" it sure seemed that was what Perkam meant considering he was the one that originally brought Intel into the thread in a negative light, then through a hissy fit when people took him to task on it.

When the wishes of others, who happen to have the means to edit and delete threads, are wrought with hypocrisy then no, I don't respect that. There was NOTHING in this thread, in it's original form, that would warrant deleting all the posts. Bottom line.... you got called out and couldn't back up what you were saying. Great moderation. And with that I'm done. People here see what's going on and I've said my piece.
    I read the whole thread before it was changed by Perkam. He said nothing wrong. Poncho you are acting like an idiot. Time would prove whether what Perkam said is true or not. Your coming into the thread with a clear trolling attitude is pathetic...

Anyway, here's to hoping Amd can get 45nm going well, they certainly need it...

Ply

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Honest question and not jeering. Will Kuma or Phenom X2 really be Native Dual Core or Phenom X4 with two dead cores? Seems to me that pressing out two and four core packages are counter productive given the failure rates of even good yields. We know both AMD and that other company has a propensity to lie and try to turn failure into triumph Look at what AMD said about Tri-Core or X3? The truth would have easily been accepted.

I hope I'm wrong but AMD will have to show me this improved Process. After the last two years their word (and many others BTW) is worthless IMHO. I hope like hell they get it right. Without Competition we'll sooner or later go back to the Days of X2 across the board high @$$ed prices. Simple Supply and Demand dictates that.
    The low model dual cores will be X4 with 2 dead cores, but that will probably change once yield is up to where it should be on X4s...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    No more useless posts or discussions of mod requests. This is a public forum - not kindergarten. If you don't have anything interesting to say - don't say anything
    Last edited by Cooper; 10-24-2007 at 04:09 PM.

To be quite honest, I could give a rats az who is or is not someone who works for any company or if they are a standard member of this forum.
    Post the wrong crap you will receive the appropriate 'reward'.

If someone has a problem with a member of the XS Staff, take it to an Admin or Fugger directly.
    Do Not bash any moderator in the open forum, I don't care if the moderator was/is wrong, YOU will be the one to receive the first reaction.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post

it'll be the same as with K8 Dual core and single (E6 venice cores were manchesters with 1 core disabled and E3 native single cores )

no chance amd gets enough "faulty" cores to supply a whole DC product line.

getting more and more interesting, and one side note:

65nm has surpassed 90nm with the ne G2 revision brisbane chips (used in be and 5000 black edition)
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, I'll bite. Are you claiming that Phenom will come out this year with the 3.2GHz stock speeds, or are you talking about how well they will overclock?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Periander6 View Post
    OK, I'll bite. Are you claiming that Phenom will come out this year with the 3.2GHz stock speeds, or are you talking about how well they will overclock?
    Take it how you wish. I have full confidence that K10 can get up to that speed, but there is no evidence as to how well it will OC...

Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    it'll be the same as with K8 Dual core and single (E6 venice cores were manchesters with 1 core disabled and E3 native single cores )

no chance amd gets enough "faulty" cores to supply a whole DC product line.

getting more and more interesting, and one side note:

65nm has surpassed 90nm with the ne G2 revision brisbane chips (used in be and 5000 black edition)
    Yields should be pretty good, which is why I said AMD shouldn't have to sell many half dead X4s.
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 10-24-2007 at 04:49 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    Q1 09 would fit in nicely for a scheduled hardware update (AMD (past) to Intel (present) & back to AMD (future)).

perkam, so it's almost certainly SOI still then? I think SOI is needed for any future integration of ZRAM (possibly in Fusion maybe?) otherwise that money they threw at it would be wasted.
    Now please go back and look at where you quoted me LOL?

Originally Posted by Donnie27
    AMD is nowhere near 45nm=P
    Last edited by Donnie27; 10-24-2007 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast