Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM 690 or Antec 900?

Xtreme Member

CM 690 or Antec 900?

I planning to get a new case to replace my TT Soprano soon. I have tried my best to mod the Soprano but the temp is still very bad because of lack off cooling fans.My CPU is pretty hot because there is only one 120mm exhaust fan. PSU's 92mm exhaust is pretty useless. One thing though my case is quiet because I use fan controller.

In Japan, CM 690 is only around 3000yen cheaper than Antec 900. That would be around 25dollars. I have read lots of reviews for both cases and here's my opinion for both cases :

1) CM 690 is much roomier than the 900. Cable management seems easier for 690.
    2) Cooling performance wise, Antec 900 is better than 690 with stock fans. 900 has more fans than 690 at stock settings. (3x120mm,1x200mm vs 3x120mm). CM fit more fans than 900.
    3) 690's HDD cage seems to be better positioned compared to 900. It has rubber too to absorb vibration.
    4) Noise wise, according to Madshrimps, at stock settings 900 is quieter than 690. I'm not sure how this could happen since 900 comes with 4 fans compared to 690's 3 fans.

I want to get a case with efficient cooling and at the same time low noise. I'm leaning towards the 690 now but if 900 is really the better one, I dont mind forking out another 3000yen for the Antec. I'm really lost now so hopefully you guys can give your suggestions. Thank you.

Xtreme Addict
    I bought the CM-690 recently, in UK its only ~£15 cheaper than the Antec 900, but feature wise the CM-690 is much better, cooling is debatable, much roomier, HDD mounting is way better, tool-less features.

The front stock fan is decent, but the other two black ones are very bad, I switched them out with my own.
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Member
    I just recently purchased and cut some holes in the 900 and it was hard to work with because of the small space. Overall, once I finished my 900, it turned out really good with good airflow.

If you're looking for some better hard drive mountin that the 690 would be a great choice, yes it is a cheaper and a few added features for cable management... But it's nothing you can't do with the Antec 900 for a couple of extra bucks or extra time.

The Antec 900 feels expensive and feels high quality, whereas the CM690 feels like a big chunk of plastic, very cheap feeling to it..
    Q6600 | UD3P | 4890 | 8GB DDR2-800

Xtreme Member
    i say antec 900, i can't stand how most CM cases look and this is one of those CM cases. i also like the antec 900's airflow set up better than the CM 690. the 3 speed fans are quite on medium and still cools great
    when some say "why mod?" i say "why not mod?"

Tagan Black Pearl case
    750w corsair PSU
    CM hyper 212 HSF
    EVGA 750i FTW
    4 GB of DDR2 RAM
    E6750 @ 3.2Ghz
    320 GB HDD
    EVGA GTX 260

I'll agree that "out of the box," the 900 isn't pretty on the inside. But with a few simple holes drilled, wire management is easy and attractive.

I will say that the CM's hard drive mounting system is superior, but there's no way it provides better airflow than the 900.

Xtreme Member
    How about noise with the 900? Is it noisy even with fans set at low speed? Noise is one big problem for me because the pc is under my bed.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyemarn View Post
    How about noise with the 900? Is it noisy even with fans set at low speed? Noise is one big problem for me because the pc is under my bed.
    The 900 is pretty quiet mainly because of the fan size Antec used at the top of the case.

Xtreme Addict
    4) Noise wise, according to Madshrimps, at stock settings 900 is quieter than 690. I'm not sure how this could happen since 900 comes with 4 fans compared to 690's 3 fans.
    don't forget the top fan in the Nine Hunderd is 200mm, which does do a lot for noise, also the fans at low setting (easily selectable since all fans have integrated 3 speed selector) move enough air to keep everything cool and overall the system remains quiet!

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Member
    From reviews, I found out that 900 is a bit cramped compared to 690. I have lots of cables and would it be hard if I go for 900? I'm still leaning towards 690 now. I wonder why 900 is superior in cooling since the 690 can fit more fans and bigger than 900.
    Core i7 920
    Scythe Mugen 2
    Silicon Power DDR3-1333 2GBx3
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic 896MB
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 640GBx2 Matrix RAID
    Samsung Spinpoint F2 1TB
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    Winfast TV2000 XP Expert
    Antec Earthwatts 650W
    Coolermaster CM 690
    LG W2442PA
    Win 7 RC x64

Hrm... a couple of thoughts here...

My primary case is a Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203, so both of these cases look pretty bad to me. On top of that I've hated CM cases for years!

Having said that, I just ordered a CM-690...

Truthfully, I don't really need a 'garbage can', but there's something about the CM-690 that intrigues me, so I bought one to play around with...

Enough about me!

What I wanted to tell you is, the CM-690 has a LOT of blow-holes!!! Evidently you guys aren't aware of this...

I'm probably gonna go with 4x140mm, 3x120mm, and 1x80 (CPU backside) - probably Nice Full fans (aka Yate Loon).

LoL!

How's it gonna compare to an Antec Nine-Hundred? I dunno, but I guess I'll find out!

Personally, I *think* it's gonna be a 900 Killer...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, I didn't know it had that many spots for a fan!

I'm not sure if I like the way it looks. They should make a version with a window, unless I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
    Wow, I didn't know it had that many spots for a fan!

I'm not sure if I like the way it looks. They should make a version with a window, unless I missed it.
    Yeah... I know!

Like I said, the CM-690 'intrigues' me... and I didn't use that word loosely!

Obviously, CM is trying to do something different here, but they have a foot in both camps - new n' old!

I *think* this is kind of a marketing experiment for them...

In a way, it looks like every other POS case they make, but when you start looking at the internals, it's got a LOT of stuff going for it - like the bottom-mounted PSU.

The PSU has it's own intake (underneath) and draws cool air from outside the case - plus there's another blow-hole next to it, to draw cool air into the case & cool the PSU even further. This is a major plus, IMHO, given the trend for PSUs becoming MUCH bigger and hotter in the future!

The backside CPU socket/mobo tray cooler is pretty nifty too!

Thermalright recently came up with a horrible heatpipe contraption (Infernal Fire eXtinguisher) that's supposed to cool the backside CPU socket area - but it's a fiasco and a fraud. IMHO, simply throwing a 80mm intake back there will work wonders - cool everything between the tray and the mobo, not just the socket area - and help to ventilate the hot air from this traditionally overlooked area...

Anyway, don't fool yourself. The CM-690 is a 'garbage can', but it has great promise!

I suspect it's destined to become the '55 Chevy of mid-tower cases, if you know what I mean... a mod'ers delight!

EDIT

Um...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM690-SLI.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	66021

You guys know the CM-690 is SLI Certified by NVidia, right?
    Last edited by VinDSL; 10-22-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I do have to admit it looks like a cheapass case, indeed the price suggests it, but it has big features that are actually decent
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post
    I do have to admit it looks like a cheapass case, indeed the price suggests it, but it has big features that are actually decent
    Exactly!

It's cheap enough that you won't mind taking a RotoZip to it, or a can of spray paint...

Speaking of which, HERE'S A SHOT of the PSU drill hole grill.

That's the first thing going bye-bye on mine!

BTW, how much did I pay for my CM-690? $39.99 AR +FS (ends today - but it'll be back)

Intriguing, no?

How's that Antec Nine-Hundred looking now?
    Last edited by VinDSL; 10-22-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    i own a 900 and i can tell you it is a real nice machine for cooling. from all the cases i have seen it by far has the best cooling setup. i have all of the fans installed and at maximum RPM and it is pulling more out than it is pumping in. which is a major advantages because it helps eliminate hotspots in the case. and there is allot of air moving in the case it's like a wind tunnel. and in my opinion i think it looks better. BUT it is harder to work on. it's a smaller case and the cable management is not all that great. but i would choose it over the 690.

just because you have more fans does not mean you have the best cooling. it's all how you fans are setup and positioned and the balance between exhaust and intake.

ill vote for 900.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Guru

I've been pimping Nine-Hundreds ever since they came out (but never felt inclined to buy one)!

I've provided countless links to THIS THREAD. They look great!

And, Antec Nine-Hundreds are GREAT - but, I think CM just outnumbered them, if you will - especially @ 40 bones to the door.

Don't worry! It'll take a LONG time for ppl to warm up to this case (with all the CM bias out there) if it happens at all...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The 900 could have been designed better too. I shouldn't have to drill holes in places where there should be holes already, even though I did lol :P

Xtreme Member
    it is very quiet with the 120mms on medium, but on high they are really loud but you don't need them to be on high really. the 200mm fan is a silent beast.

From reviews, I found out that 900 is a bit cramped compared to 690. I have lots of cables and would it be hard if I go for 900? I'm still leaning towards 690 now. I wonder why 900 is superior in cooling since the 690 can fit more fans and bigger than 900.
    more fans does not equal better cooling, the antec 900 has balance and you can move the fans in the front up and down gives a lot of freedom with fan arrangement.

also less space means less fans needed to move the air

also the antec 900 does have some holes for cabling hiding but i find them badly placed

the middle holes are stock but the rest i had cut. i think they should have been farther apart.

also whoever mentioned the SLI certification, who really cares? it is not like a case without it can't be used with a SLI configuration

also my antec 900 did come with watertubing holes

and lasting whoever mentioned the PSU being on the bottom of the CM, the antec 900 has that too just so everyone knows
    when some say "why mod?" i say "why not mod?"

Tagan Black Pearl case
    750w corsair PSU
    CM hyper 212 HSF
    EVGA 750i FTW
    4 GB of DDR2 RAM
    E6750 @ 3.2Ghz
    320 GB HDD
    EVGA GTX 260

Quote Originally Posted by cloned View Post
    and lasting whoever mentioned the PSU being on the bottom of the CM, the antec 900 has that too just so everyone knows
    Good point! However...

How about a visual?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM690-900-SIDEBY.jpg 
Views:	923 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	66034

Notice anything missing in the Nine-Hundred's PSU area?

Xtreme Member
    I say forget about the 690 and the 900 and just wait for antec twelve hundred...i don't remember when the release date was but I'll email my contact over there and i'll let you know.

Check it out in the meantime!

Antec Twelve Hundred

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think I just found my next case. I hope it uses the same hard drive cage, then I could have 4 120MM fans on the front.

I guess they made another revision on the 900, mine doesn't have those holes.

Edit: Whoa, didn't see the big radiator, that is sweet. I could imagine putting another 2x120MM radiator on the back too. I think I may actually go watercooling if this case is as good as it looks.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
    I think I just found my next case. I hope it uses the same hard drive cage, then I could have 4 120MM fans on the front.

I guess they made another revision on the 900, mine doesn't have those holes.

Edit: Whoa, didn't see the big radiator, that is sweet. I could imagine putting another 2x120MM radiator on the back too. I think I may actually go watercooling if this case is as good as it looks.
    The pics don't do this case justice! It looks waaaayyyy better in person.

The 1200 looks to have all the necessary holes in the mobo mounting plate pre-drilled (nice!):

Maybe Antec finally got their heads out of their arses and listened to what their buyers wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast