Thread: Need help finding a material...

-100c Club Member

Need help finding a material...

Basically I am looking for a material (some sort of metal I would presume) that has high tensile strength, doesn't melt at the temperature of brazing, and can be machined.
    Quick search arounds for me netted, carbon (not sure if it can hold 20lbs of force ehehe), Tungsten (probably would work... but how the hell do you machine these?)
    I am pretty sure there are some out there than can endure higher temperature... while being able to hold the kind of pressure under temperature)...
    I would really appreciate help on this
    TIA.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Addict
    What working pressure are you aiming for?

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Don't know exactly what you need it for but what about good old 1018 cold rolled steel? It will take brazing easily and being a dis-similar metal it will be easier to remove the "slag" from brazing. also it machines very easily and is dirt cheap.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Enthusiast

Banned
    Stainless steel?

I've 18 titanium pins that came out of me 3 weeks ago. I guess if you smelted them you'd get something out?

Harmonic is really heavy duty, not much kills it but it's heavy! Oh and it's steel

Like Gosmeyer said, 4130 is great. Use to use it a lot to build bike frames, aka cromoly

Ooo thinking about. T45, steel again, good weight but 45 tons of presure and stuff! Nice to work with when brazing or tig'ing

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't know much about metals but the first thing that comes to mind is titanium. It is very strong, machinable and very light if that matters to you. It is very expensive though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't get what you're trying to do Jin, and why copper or brass won't work? Brass is very strong, tensile strength is about the same as a low carbon steel. Either copper or brass can withstand enormous internal pressures with the proper wall thickness. 1/8 annnealed copper tubing is rated for 3000+ psig at 100F.
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

-100c Club Member
    Thanks Detroit Actually that is the conclusion I came up with today morning ahaha. Basically, I am thinking about a process of making something and need pressure for it. Didn't want the contracept to melt away from brazing heat over time, etc... Than it came to me, as long as it transfers heat at about same rate... why the hell would it melt... (unless... the brazed material is melting).
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Addict
    What are you trying to do... build a bomb and you want to make sure the shards wont vaporize?

Seriously though, I'm quite confused as to what you want to even do...
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

ditto lol *BOOM*
    E4300 @ 2.4GHz (Air)
    Asus P5k-E WiFi AP (1006 Bios)
    PQI 1Gb DDR2-800 @ 1066
    Evga 8800GT 512Mb
    Lian Li A05B

Soon: Triple Rad Install

Xtreme Cruncher
    Titanium maybe? Titanium alloy perhaps?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well the only thing that would do anything you want it to do it is tungsten or tungstencarbide but the are expensive and i don't know if you can braze it but it is the strongest metal out there that i know off and if you could not braze it you could get it copper plated then you could braze it