Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Water cooling the Asus Maximus SE X38

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    well the mcw30 is just a flat piece of copper and it seems like the fusion is a flat piece of copper also so basically in the end if the fusion is all copper or at least not aluminum then it'll be perfectly fine IMHO
    I guess you have a point there .....

I am starting to feel like ripping my Maximus apart right now, may not be the best move for me?

If I did go the other way, I would like Eddie and the EK boys to offer an X38 kit that contained NB, SB, PWM's, all with back plates as a 1 button click. Mabey a small % off for buying bulk.

Mabey 1 big backplate to cover all 4 blocks, and to keep our mobo from bending? (Might save on production cost)

I think I am seeking some extra incentive to jump in that big....

I think most of us already baught our CPU block when we ordered our mobo, so I would not recommend including it in the X38 kit.

By the way, sweet mod ~AOE~ on the SB.
    Last edited by Talonman; 10-17-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
    Mabey 1 big backplate to cover all 4 blocks, and to keep our mobo from bending?
    My thoughts exactly. I'll just end up waiting for my motherboard to arrive and then get exact measurements. My brother works in a fairly large machine shop ( good to know the boss eh ? ) And he's already told me all I need to do is get him a design / measurements and he can have it laser cut.

I am Xtreme
    From the look of it, I'd say the Fusion is aluminum. Another give away would be how heavy it is. If it's realitively light, it's aluminum, if it's realitively heavy, it's copper.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    waterlogged, I would agree that its highly unlikely that the whole fusion system is copper, but it doesn't have to be. I am pretty sure that water only goes through a small part, and heatpipes connect to the rest so as long as the part that touches water is copper it doesn't matter if the heat pipe connected parts are aluminum.
    Xigmatek elysium
    i7 920, 4.2 at 1.32v 60C after 24 hours prime 95
    asus p6t6 ws revolution
    4870 1gb
    6gigs ddr3 1600
    x25-160 g2, velociraptor 300gig, 4x 2tb hitachi 7200rpm on an lsi 9260-81
    lg bd/hdvd combo
    apogee xt rev 2.0, swiftech 360, 240 with 4 sanyo denki's
    and 1 scythe (25mm did not have space for another 38mm)
    2 d5's in a koolance 425x2 res

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If there are a few people willing and ready to have any custom laser cut parts it costs about the same to have 5 done as it does for 1, because the machine is already set up.

so if 4-5 people want some backplates then pm me with the one design and it'll be done asap at a decent price

the mosfet backplates I sell have been flying out the doors....just need to make different variants for the other motherboards now - just dont have the time
    Chilled PC UK - Watercooling Parts, Any Custom work undertaken including Laser Cutting (any parts, grills, side panels, brackets etc), Anodising, Powdercoating , Custom Spraying and Airbrushing, Fabrication, Watercooling Installs and more all done to the highest standard.

International shipping no problem, even on Cases!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by jkresh View Post
    waterlogged, I would agree that its highly unlikely that the whole fusion system is copper, but it doesn't have to be. I am pretty sure that water only goes through a small part, and heatpipes connect to the rest so as long as the part that touches water is copper it doesn't matter if the heat pipe connected parts are aluminum.
    Very true...but having been a machinist for 12 years, and knowing how both copper and aluminum look when belt sanded, I'll say that the entire thing is aluminum.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    i should be getting mine today, but from the looks of the pictures and what i've read, i agree waterlogged. it looks like alum.

Xtreme Member
    Would this fits? This is 16mm width vs EK 17mm width, correct?

http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...roducts_id=433

[SYSTEM]TT Mozart XT - Maximus Formula - E6850 - 8800Ultra - DDR2 1066 x 4 - SAS 15K x4 Raid0(Adaptec3805) - Zalman ZM850 - Apple 30" LCD
    [Monitor]BigNG + MiniNg
    Loop1(3/8): DDC+3.2(Petra Top) -> PA120.3 -> Enzotech SCW-1 -> DD 8800GTX Block -> EK-RES250
    Loop2(1/4): DDC+3.2(Petra Top) -> PA120.2 -> MIPS RAM Freezer4 -> Asus fusion chipsets block -> Silentstar HD Block x 3-> Pumps cooled by Alphacool HDD3CU/Plexi 3.5" HD Block -> EK-RES250

Xtreme Member
    I realise this is an Asus Maximus SE X38 thread, but for info, the clearance on the GA-X38-DQ6 is only 13mm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it seems like the fusion nb block is all non aluminum. the fins around it are aluminum but the block itself never touches aluminum so its safe to use. currently im using it right now getting 32 idle no idea of laod just yet this is with 1.35v on the nb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.

it seems like the fusion nb block is all non aluminum. the fins around it are aluminum but the block itself never touches aluminum so its safe to use. currently im using it right now getting 32 idle no idea of laod just yet this is with 1.35v on the nb.
    Nice!
    Got any idea what the Fusion is doing to the flow rate or is it on it's own loop?
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...12hrOrthos.jpg
    Asus X38 Maximus Formula SE Bios602 Intel Q6600-Go @3.6 450x8 Cpu V.1.4
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 4*1gb v.2.18
    2 x HIS HD3870 XFire Ati Bios 3DMark 06 score 20745 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4296587
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
    MCP655 pump Swiftech-Blocks
    Triple BIX W/Panaflow M1's@7v. XpPro X64/SP2

Xtreme Mentor
    So the stock ASUS block is acually good?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate P. View Post
    So the stock ASUS block is acually good?
    Well... kind of loaded question... it seems the Fusion may be confirmed to be copper instead of aluminum so thats a plus. The Fusion block tube's are 3/8" so depending on the size and how many blocks your using in the same loop it could be quite restrictive. Guess it depends on how your going to configure your system.
    2 x HIS HD3870 XFire Ati Bios 3DMark 06 score 20745 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4296587

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick L View Post
    Well... kind of loaded question... it seems the Fusion may be confirmed to be copper instead of aluminum so thats a plus. The Fusion block tube's are 3/8" so depending on the size and how many blocks your using in the same loop it could be quite restrictive. Guess it depends on how your going to configure your system.
    Well, I have my w/c system on 3/in. tubing , so that's a good thing. If I had the the stock ASUS block and the Swiftech Apogee GT in the same loop with a Swiftehc MCP-355, would I still get good flow ya think?

Well, I have my w/c system on 3/in. tubing , so that's a good thing. If I had the the stock ASUS block and the Swiftech Apogee GT in the same loop with a Swiftehc MCP-355, would I still get good flow ya think?

I have no idea if it will work for you as I haven't used mine. I did not like the 1/4" maybe less, inlet/outlet dia. under the 3/8" tubes on the Fusion. I will be running a 7/16" hose on a single loop with CF and I it would be to restrictive for my needs.
    Last edited by Nick L; 10-18-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mildseven7 View Post
    Would this fits? This is 16mm width vs EK 17mm width, correct?

http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...roducts_id=433

Hi!

That is good info.
    I have to tell you we will make a revision of Mosfet 3 block so it will fit on that mobo also. So no worryes you will have to buy coolence stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So the stock ASUS block is actually good?
    from what im doing so far it is actually decent. i've heard the change from 1/2 to 3/8 tubing has a very low effect on performance, but that is the only downside so far. im doing the fusion block and an apogee gtx on a pa120.3 powered by a ddc2 with an alpha cool modded top so im not too worried about restriction. from what i can tell the block is safe to use and it is decent performance wise if you don't want to risk ruining your board because it is VERY firmly attached. i suggest anyone removing it to be EXTREMELY careful i originally planned to use an mcw30 but i gave up after 20 minutes of trying to remove it safely. i saw one person tear the whole chip set off removing it and then just gave up.

*disclaimer* i can not yet PROVE the fusion block is not aluminum. what i can prove is the fins surrounding it are aluminum which is expected but the block itself never allows the water to touch that part of the cooling system. i took a good hour when i received the board looking at this very carefully trying to figure what it is made out of and weather it comes in contact with aluminum. i started scraping at the fusion block and got a small piece off and there was no aluminum under it. the fins on the other hand to the left of the block are painted aluminum anything slightly sharp will scrape the paint off.
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is

Xtreme Member
    anyone using a Swiftech GT and if so post a pic
    Silverstone FT02
    Asus Maximus III Formula, Intel i7-875k, Corsair 4x2gb Dominator 1866mhz
    SLI EVGA GTX 580s, PCI-E X-Fi Audio
    2x WD Raptor 600gb sataIII Raid 0, 2x1tv WD SATA Black Raid1
    Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2310 3d lcd

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    can you confirm that the hr-09 fits without any mods on this board? wonder why one of them is tilted and not installed on this pic (sorry but I don't trust TR compatibility page for that kind of info)

thanks for the pics btw

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Xtreme Mentor
    I have made a command decision...

I am running the stock ROG Fusion cooler, until I decide I need more.

UPDATE: Totally switched my position on this, and went with aftermarket products...
    Last edited by Talonman; 12-04-2007 at 12:48 AM.
    Asus Maximus SE X38 / Lapped Q6600 G0 @ 3.8GHz (L726B397 stock VID=1.224) / 7 Ultimate x64 /EVGA GTX 295 C=650 S=1512 M=1188 (Graphics)/ EVGA GTX 280 C=756 S=1512 M=1296 (PhysX)/ G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) / Gateway FPD2485W (1920 x 1200 res) / Toughpower 1,000-Watt modular PSU / SilverStone TJ-09 BW / (2) 150 GB Raptor's RAID-0 / (1) Western Digital Caviar 750 GB / LG GGC-H20L (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, and BlueRay Drive) / WaterKegIII Xtreme / D-TEK FuZion CPU, EVGA Hydro Copper 16 GPU, and EK NB S-MAX Acetal Waterblocks / Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L (South Bridge heat sink)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
    I have made a command decision...

I am running the stock ROG Fusion cooler, until I decide I need more.
    its gotten me 425 fsb on a quad with 4 sticks of ram and not seeing above 44 load

Xtreme Member
    what were you running for a multiplier wiggy? i've gotten up to 3.7 occt 1hr stable (412x9 and testing 425x9) (. i don't remember for sure. 4x1gb lanfest at 4-4-4-12.

Xtreme Addict
    Sorry for late answer.
    The NB is very special here so we'll make a new top for NB block. The SB block will be NB/SB3 as mentioned in earlyer thread.
    Any direct questions, please use PM or direct e-mail info(at)ekwaterblocks.com because I cannot read all threads in real time.
    Any kind of suggestions are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSamurai View Post
    what were you running for a multiplier wiggy? i've gotten up to 3.7 occt 1hr stable (412x9 and testing 425x9) (. i don't remember for sure. 4x1gb lanfest at 4-4-4-12.
    9 multi

Xtreme Member
    does it pass prime? i'm having issues with my 3.825 (425x9) what do your settings look like? i'm wondering if it's my ram.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast