Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who Here Can Heel and Toe Downshift?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhla View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Polizei, I think I know how to do it but I never actually have. I guess I should try it sometime in my Ford Ranger but it isn't exactly sporty....
    lol, knowing how to do it and actually doing it are 2 very very different things. Two most different things ever i think!

Well, I drive cars with automatics about 90% of the time, so I don't do it, although I know how to do it.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I've owned several manual box sports cars and I can't do it...

It's not easy and frankly I'm not sure if it's faster than today's Tiptronic and DSG boxes.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I've owned several manual box sports cars and I can't do it...

It's not easy and frankly I'm not sure if it's faster than today's Tiptronic and DSG boxes.
    Probably not, but not all sports cars have Tiptronic or DSG boxes

Xtreme Member
    Tiptronic is slow.

DSG is faster than any manual (except sequential).
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Butte MT home of the worlds largest body of contaminated water
    Heel toe shifting is really only been useful for me in 4 cylinders that you can't compression brake with.

The only place I would say that an automatic (can) be faster than a manual is off the line. The manual has a lower drivetrain power loss, is easier to keep to revs up, control the engine with compression braking, and not smoke the tires off the line. That is of course if you know what you engine is telling you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can blip the throttle to match the revs shifting to a lower gear, but not perfectly. The pedals in a Neon aren't set up too well for heel-toe shifting.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
    I can blip the throttle to match the revs shifting to a lower gear, but not perfectly. The pedals in a Neon aren't set up too well for heel-toe shifting.
    same with my car, the throttle starts so much closer to the floor than the break, i'de almost ahve to turn sideways, and put the brake almost to the floor to hit the throttle at the same time. i can rev match with the snap of my fingers, so i dont think it would make much of a dif with me.
    emptiness

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah. It's not a big deal to me, I'll worry about performance when I get my next car. I'm thinking about a LS1 Camaro or Trans Am, but I'm not sure yet.

Tiptronic is slow? Could have fooled me... I was shown how much faster tiptronic is in a circuit over a manual... when its used properly. The transmission is so useful and it shifts so fast that its scary.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Tiptronic is slow? Could have fooled me... I was shown how much faster tiptronic is in a circuit over a manual... when its used properly. The transmission is so useful and it shifts so fast that its scary.
    Ya, I don't know how it is with Porsche... I know the 911 (997) Turbo is faster with the tiptronic from 0-60mph, but I've read several reviews of the Turbo equipped with a tiptronic, and people seemed to be complaining? As in slow downshifts, etc...

So I don't know... for me Tiptronic is the generic thing you get in VWs and Audis.
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

If I could have bought a car with Tiptronic, I would have. The car I have is under short-term lease, so I didn't have a choice. Its not just 0 to 60 times.. thos hardly mean anything. Would you believe that tiptronic can save as much as 3 to 5 seconds per lap ? When I first rode as a passenger in a tiptronic car, I was left with my tongue hanging out. It was fantastic. The driver put it into 2nd coming off the highway just to demonstrate to me. The car didn't shift until the engine could take the downshifting.. otherwise there would have been an over-rev situation and the engine would have blown. The engine braking was phenomenal.. and when the car exited the highway off ramp apex with a decreasing radius, it was in the perfect rev range and came out with maximum torque. I couldn't have done as well in a manual.

Xtreme Cruncher
    tiptronic in expensive cars is fast but dual clutch is faster than anything and you can find it in the cheap golf gti great gearbox
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234