Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Here Can Heel and Toe Downshift?

Xtreme Member

Who Here Can Heel and Toe Downshift?

Oh yes, heel and toe downshifting, a joy of driving. Really hard to pull off but when you do, it's great. I've been learning it for a few days and can do it, not that quickly, but I find myself constantly doing it in any situation where I have to overlap braking and gear change. It rocks

So who here can pull it off and how long did it take you to learn for it to become 2nd nature?

Just make sure that you don't do it on a car that you love. When I was young and starting out, I damaged a BMW 320i tranmission learning to do that.

Xtreme Member
    I practice when the car is off too. I don't rev the car too much anyway, not above 3.5k

\p.s How you doin Ian? Been a while.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Learned how to drive stick when I was 12. Learned heel toe downshift, learned to double clutch, as well as how to power shift
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Quote Originally Posted by HungryForHertz View Post
    I practice when the car is off too. I don't rev the car too much anyway, not above 3.5k

\p.s How you doin Ian? Been a while.
    Been doing well, sir, thank you. I trust you are fine as well.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Love stick...all our mobiles are auto though But I was hard into it when younger.

Powershifting...brings back good memories.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Car: MR2 spyder

I should, but cant. It seems the pedal size /placement, shoe size (11) and legroom dont allow.
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    •i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz - 1.32v - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    •G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GB
    •ASUS 7850 @ 1250//5800
    •Corsair TX650 V2
    •Dell 3007WFP
    •Win 7 64 Ult

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
    Learned how to drive stick when I was 12. Learned heel toe downshift, learned to double clutch, as well as how to power shift
    Too bad powershifting = trans death and double declutching isn't necessary anymore :P
    If you learnt how to heel and toe at 12, thats damn impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    Been doing well, sir, thank you. I trust you are fine as well.
    Good to hear. I'm alright, grinding away....

Quote Originally Posted by wangerin View Post
    Car: MR2 spyder

I should, but cant. It seems the pedal size /placement, shoe size (11) and legroom dont allow.
    It's probably possible just harder than most cars. Try figuring it out when the car is off? IT really adds to the experience of driving.

Xtreme Member
    How do you pull it off? I hate my dads Renault Espace, so please, tell me how to screw it up

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeedJunk View Post
    How do you pull it off? I hate my dads Renault Espace, so please, tell me how to screw it up
    http://www.drivingfast.net/car_control/heel_and_toe.htm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
    i know what double clutching is, and power shifting is...but what is heel/toe downshifting?

i thought you guys were talking about motorcycles...
    Q6600 L723A (400 x9)
    Evga 780i P02
    G.skill 8 GB
    Evga GTX 280
    Raptor X (3) 150's Raid 0
    Targen BZ 1100w
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Xclio

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icon57 View Post
    i know what double clutching is, and power shifting is...but what is heel/toe downshifting?

!

Ker-Pow !
    Learnt to drive an auto an 9, went onto manuals at 10, been able to heel and toe since I was 15....lol.

I prefer to blip bikes on a downchange instead though and feels alot more natural.

Xtreme Member
    I don't get the point. And what is double clutching supposed to accomplish?

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Admin
    That's what heel-toe downshifting is? I started doing that this summer on the backroads around my house...sweet. Considering the age (23) and condition (mint) of my car, I probably shouldn't though.

First few times I did it my rear left tire screamed in terror (well...just the first and second times, the third time was a chirp)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnj View Post

It keeps the internals up to speed to aid in a positive engagement.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnj View Post
    Before they had Syncros on manuals, you double clutched to bring the engine and transmission relatively to the same speed.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

it's pretty much same thing you do with motorcycle. clutch+blip then downshift then let go of clutch. Do all this while breaking with right hand. This is heel and toe for motorcycle.

Oh, I do heel and toe all the time BTW. Not much now since throwout bearing is going. It's good when everything works out. And yes I used to do with my motorcycle too. helps with breaking. lol
    Last edited by HaxEJxuK; 10-11-2007 at 01:21 PM.

Xtreme n00berclocker

Heel toe down shift is a way to downshift mostly used in racing alot in rally racing. I would be used while taking a corner at a high speed but needing to slow down to make the turn. Your in a high gear and need to show down to make the turn and immediately accelerate. Well once you slow down your not going to accelerate in the higher gears. So all at once you push the clutch in like normal. But you use your right foots heel and toe to push the brakes and the gas at the same time to make sure the car transitions well through the turn while downshifting. The more you upset the car in the turn the more you have to slow down and the more speed you loose. I will reedit this post in a few lappy batt is dieing.

Too bad powershifting = trans death and double declutching isn't necessary anymore :P
    If you learnt how to heel and toe at 12, thats damn impressive.
    I learned when I was 12 because I drove race cars since I was 5 and eventually started racing cars with more than one gear.

So I learned to powershift which wont hurt the trans as long as it is built for that and you arent grinding away at the gears.

You can do it in a street car but it isnt recommended and if your timing is off you can easily hurt your trans.

As far as double clutching or double declutching w/e you want to call it I worked as a diesel mechanic for years working on large firetrucks where sometimes the truck was 35+ years old where you still need to double clutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

Xtreme Enthusiast
    .... when i down shift i either A, just downshift letting the tranny do all the work, or B rev really high and drop the clutch to get a bit of a boost. dont really see the point.
    emptiness

For you purists, you will never be happy, but Porsche assures that unless you are world champion material, you won't be able to outdo its tiptronic. I have experienced that transmission and its humbling. The revs stay up and seldom ever drop. Its freakish.

Admin
    It's not even about the speed for me...I have no doubt a top-end automatic is better at shifting and gear selecting than I am.

My left foot gets bored...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    It's not even about the speed for me...I have no doubt a top-end automatic is better at shifting and gear selecting than I am.

My left foot gets bored...
    my main reason that i will probably never get a triptronic, unless i have enough money to actually test which is faster on the drag/circuit with me driving.
    emptiness

I've driven stick shift but I really didn't like it, I kept stalling out (I really only drove it a few times)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    I've driven stick shift but I really didn't like it, I kept stalling out (I really only drove it a few times)
    if you drive a sportscar, and actually learn, you will love it. and you will hate autos. autos are really only convenient when you prefer to just chill as you drive, drink your drink, talk to clients/friends, etc. or if your left leg is just really weak.
    emptiness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast