Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista Runs Out of Memory While Copying Files

I am Xtreme

Vista Runs Out of Memory While Copying Files

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...0&threshold=-1

It appears that, incredibly, Vista can run out of memory while copying files. ZDNet is reporting that not only does it run out of memory after copying 16,400+ files, but that 'often there is little indication that file copy operations haven't completed correctly.' Apparently a fix was scheduled for SP1 but didn't make it; there is a hotfix that you must request

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Mentor
    I haven't noticed anything, but then 8 gig is hard to eat up during file copy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Live Long And Overclock
    EDITED

Again, Server 2008...we want it pls.

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 10-16-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    JUST IN !!!

A new file has hit the net where when opened, Vista causes quad CPU to load 100% on four cores and crash immediately !!! !!!!!!!

THe file is here to see for all XP users ONLY !!! :ZOMG:

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKk...Kitten_065.jpg

X(

Perkam
    D'awwwww.

Xtreme Mentor
    Any why to sites to continue to report stupid bad things about Vista? Because trashing Vista has turned into a sport. It's not that bad of an OS, and I like it more than XP. (once you turn off UAC it's perfect )
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Any why to sites to continue to report stupid bad things about Vista?
    I think the inability to copy files isn't a report on a stupid reason, it's a report on a fundamental flaw in the operating system.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    I think the inability to copy files isn't a report on a stupid reason, it's a report on a fundamental flaw in the operating system.
    Yeah, but how many people copy a giant amount of files at the same time?
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Cruncher
    @zytek_fan: those who copy their program files folder, hoping for their programs/settings to work (sometimes...)

@pekram: stop the how disappointing for an admin

Live Long And Overclock
    Fixed

Perkam

iadstudio
    Strange. I just coppied 60+ gb that was well over 16,400 files and no problem. hmmmm. I must not have duplicated the perfect storm that was required for file loss. ;-)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by iadstudio View Post
    Strange. I just coppied 60+ gb that was well over 16,400 files and no problem. hmmmm. I must not have duplicated the perfect storm that was required for file loss. ;-)
    Isolated incidents perhaps?

Xtreme Mentor
    This is quite old. A flaw noticed at least around June but it applies to a minute segment of desktop peeps.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I paid full price for the ultra version and it sux ass.

I have had nothing but problems with countless hours on the phone with microsoft tech support.

I won't even get into how many problems I have come up with.

First don't install AIM or msn messenger.It will screw up your whole network and cause a red x and kill your sound and video files.I went threw 2 installs trying to fix it.It is soo buggy.I have my version so mickey moused right now its not even funny.

Com surrogate not working,hacked to disable it,hacked to give me full WMI control,My system wouldnt even know what type of processor it was running,I have spent hours in the microsoft tech forums.I have mine working now but its butchered with brute force fixes and one of them was even from the tech support themselvs.

I thought I was the only one having problems and these guys had some of the very same issues.If you are having server excution error read this thread,its a mikey mouse job,but it will get your system working again.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...5469&SiteID=17

This running out of memory is nothing new,it also happened to me when I was sending stuff from one hd to another,mostly dvix ect.

Vista needs an sp1 asap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iadstudio View Post
    Now that is strange.....lucky you

Naaaa, more like complete bull if you ask me. Some gummo website that can't get their head around Vista.

"Ehhhrm Bill"......"yes ladies?"........"Ehhhhhrm we've spent 4years creating Vista but guess what.......it's unable to copy over 16,000 files without being rendered completely useless ".....that's ok my little furry workers....aslong as those files are only 1k each everyone will be fine "

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
    I paid full price for the ultra version and it sux ass.

I have had nothing but problems with countless hours on the phone with microsoft tech support.

I won't even get into how many problems I have come up with.

First don't install AIM or msn messenger ..
    worked fune for me nevetr had a problem
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Very specific too!

When you try to copy files from a Windows Vista-based computer to another computer by using Windows Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Out of memory
    There is not enough memory to complete this operation.

This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
    • The files include extended attributes.
    • You copy lots of files in a single operation.
    I don't know about you guys, but I NEVER copy lots of files in a single operation across machines using Windows Explorer. If you do, you're just begging for trouble.

Personally, for tasks like this, I install a FTP server on one of the machines and use FTP to transfer the files. Works first time, every time, and I don't have to worry about the files getting corrupted during the transfer because FTP has both error detection and error correction built-in.

It's the only reason FTP is still around, after all these years!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    [AIM & MSN Messenger]worked fine for me never had a problem
    Me too!

I'm running AIM - ICQ - MSN - Yahoo! as we 'speak' on Vista HP...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Very specific too!

I don't know about you guys, but I NEVER copy lots of files in a single operation across machines using Windows Explorer. If you do, you're just begging for trouble.

Personally, for tasks like this, I install a FTP server on one of the machines and use FTP to transfer the files. Works first time, every time, and I don't have to worry about the files getting corrupted during the transfer because FTP has both error detection and error correction built-in.

It's the only reason FTP is still around, after all these years!
    Me too!

I'm running AIM - ICQ - MSN - Yahoo! as we 'speak' on Vista HP...
    No way, you must be mistaken dude......I mean haven't you heard VISTA is the new '95.......nothing works until you get MS to recode it all.

I think what's happening is you love MS sooooo much that you're willing to LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH (like me) about how well VISTA performs.

I know I sit here for days at a time looking at a BSOD but just keep tellin' everyone that my pc is fine

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDNER-MOFO64 View Post
    I think what's happening is you love MS sooooo much that you're willing to LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH (like me) about how well VISTA performs.

I know I sit here for days at a time looking at a BSOD but just keep tellin' everyone that my pc is fine
    LoL!

Truth be told, while I like Vista HP just fine, I would NEVER have bought it - having heard all the horror stories - but, it came *FREE* with this lappy, so...

I felt sick to my stomach that I couldn't get XP pre-installed on this thing - even thought about wiping the drive and installing W2K Pro - but I gave Vista HP a chance, and I love it!

All I've done to this (2 month-old) Toshiba lappy is replace the 2GB Toshiba SODIMMs with 4GB of OCZ RAM - installed a 4GB USB Readyboost drive - and replaced the Toshiba ALPS touchpad drivers with Dell ALPS drivers (many more features than Toshiba).

Other than that, I haven't touched anything, and it's working great!

Hell, I'm even running MS Office 2000 (8 years-old) on Vista with zero problems...

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDNER-MOFO64 View Post
    No way, you must be mistaken dude......I mean haven't you heard VISTA is the new '95...
    You know what?!?!?!

I've thought about this a lot, and Vista reminds me of Windows 3.1 with all the customer resistance, gloating, attitudes, and now the memory leak!

All the MSDOS fanbois hated Win 3.1 and rallied against it - Win'95 is what changed their minds...
    Last edited by VinDSL; 10-17-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Xtreme Member
    As far as I was aware this was an issue relating to Kaspersky. There was a lengthy thread on the Kaspersky forum which contained a fix by one of the development staff eventually who was working with Microsoft to resolve the issue. I remember having this out-of-memory issue before replacing the bad file in Kaspersky with the fixed one and not having any issues again.

xStraight Edgex

Quote Originally Posted by Glyph View Post
    noise of that new drive might be deafening.

"IS THAT THE NEW 20K RAPTOR IN YOUR RIG?"

"WHAT?"

Xtreme Member
    Very specific too!

i use a batch file that Xcopys everything very useful little file set it to run at 12 every night to backup all files
    Gaming Box:: q6600 @3.0 :: 9800gtx :: Abit IP35 :: 4gb :: 1.4TB :: akasa eclipse :: Win7
    Development:: PhenomII 955BE @3.2 :: 4200 :: asus M4A785 M Evo :: 1.25TB ::Win7
    Media Centre :: q6600 @3.0 :: x1950pro :: asus p35 epu :: 8gb :: 320 GB :: Lc17B :: Win7
    server:: I7 860 :: p55 gd65 :: 3450 :: 8 TB :: 8gb :: Rebel 12 :: server 2008 R2

Xtreme Cruncher
    I call it bull. I tried copy 1.2million files from a fileshare at work to my Vista and back again via the GUI. No issue.

What did they use, a 512MB machine? Or is this just yet another clueless waaah waaah "insert OS".
    Last edited by Shintai; 10-17-2007 at 01:12 AM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakyb View Post
    i use a batch file that Xcopys everything very useful little file set it to run at 12 every night to backup all files
    Well, I'll be damned...

I was gonna ask you if you've ever tried RoboCopy, and I just found out it's built into Vista now!

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\VinDSL>robocopy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       ROBOCOPY     ::     Robust File Copy for Windows

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Wed Oct 17 02:11:30 2007

Simple Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination /MIR

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
            destination :: Destination Dir  (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
                   /MIR :: Mirror a complete directory tree.

For more usage information run ROBOCOPY /?

****  /MIR can DELETE files as well as copy them !

C:\Users\VinDSL>
    W00T!!!

Xtreme Member
    Hmm copied 250 Gig+ (don't know file count) but never noticed anything.
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1,0| AMD FX-8120@?| Corsair H100| 2x4 GB Patriot Viper Xtreme Division 2 PC15000 9-11-9-27| 2*Powercolor Radeon HD6970 2048MB @ Crossfire| 3*NEC MultiSync EA231WMi 23" Monitorer @ Eyefinity| OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB| 2*Intel 80GB X25-M G2 @ RAID0| Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000W| Cooler Master ATCS 840|

Xtreme Addict
    I wish the IT media would BSOD as they run out of memory because they keep copying each other as they bash Vista.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast