Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Goliath Triple Cooling System

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion regarding the spray foam....but TopherTony is correct. I've assembled the double wall cooling chamber with 1" closed cell insulation between the walls. It was a real pain in the a$$ to assemble! The wires for power to the components in the cooling chamber will run through a custom wire loom housing that I made. It can be disassembled to add more wires if needed for future upgrades.
    Why no vacuum insulation?

Xtreme Addict
    the issue with vacuum insulation is that any small tiny little hole will leak air into the chamber. Also, with all the surface area of the chamber, evacuating would probably just make the walls cave in. The only way to prevent that would be to put in some sort of spacer. But the spacer would conduct heat from the outside to the inside. Much less of a hassle to do as sweeper has done.

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopherTony View Post
    the issue with vacuum insulation is that any small tiny little hole will leak air into the chamber. Also, with all the surface area of the chamber, evacuating would probably just make the walls cave in. The only way to prevent that would be to put in some sort of spacer. But the spacer would conduct heat from the outside to the inside. Much less of a hassle to do as sweeper has done.
    I know it is hard, but it would be cool though

Xtreme Member
    I would love to see a picture of the wire loom and how it mounts to the metal wall without air gaps.

Also one quick question. I am assuming you are going to use copper pipe because of the pressure (though you could possibly use special braided tubing), what connector types do you plan on using ie:
    Flared vs Compression
    NPT vs BSP.
    Ridged vs Soft copper

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAgainstPaul View Post
    I would love to see a picture of the wire loom and how it mounts to the metal wall without air gaps.

Also one quick question. I am assuming you are going to use copper pipe because of the pressure (though you could possibly use special braided tubing), what connector types do you plan on using ie:
    Flared vs Compression
    NPT vs BSP.
    Ridged vs Soft copper

I will use stainless line throughout the liquid loop with brass and copper fittings. All joints will be brazed, except the receiving tank will be end of the line and it will have compression fittings.

I've attached a few pictures of the wire loom as request...it may be a little confusing of how it will work, but you will get the idea once you see it installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goliath Pictures 057.jpg 
Views:	5813 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	66750

Name:	Goliath Pictures 058.jpg 
Views:	5704 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	66751

Name:	Goliath Pictures 059.jpg 
Views:	5714 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	66752

Name:	Goliath Pictures 060.jpg 
Views:	5695 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	66753

Xtreme Cruncher
    Damn that's tight (must've missed to thread up until now).

But holy hell, you've got cash on your side for sure, and the tools to get the work done.

Keep us updated please

CM Stacker 810 w/ Yate Loons | Enermax Infiniti 650W
    ASUS P5K Deluxe | Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB | ASUS Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
    Logitech G15 | Logitech G5

Xtreme Member
    I think I understand, you have differing size holes for the different diameter wires. 8 small holes, 2 medium size hole, and 1 large hole. You have the block split so you can put the wires through without taking off the male or female plugs.

What are the diameters of the small, medium, and large holes?

Are the two medium size holes for the pipes or are you going to have two separate holes just for them?

How do you plan to insulate the hole with and without wire going through them?
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 11-05-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I think I understand, you have differing size holes for the different diameter wires. 8 small holes, 2 medium size hole, and 1 large hole. You have the block split so you can put the wires through without taking off the male or female plugs.

What are the diameters of the small, medium, and large holes?

Are the two medium size holes for the pipes or are you going to have two separate holes just for them?

How do you plan to insulate the hole with and without wire going through them?
    You got the idea The hole sizes are 1/2" to 1/4" and the two 3/8" holes are for the evaporator tubing. The insulating part is a little harder to explain. You have to keep in mind this is a double wall chamber system. The wire loom will be installed inside the inner chamber and the wires will pass through to the outer chamber. Inside the double wall system the wires will be insulated and sealed air tight. On the outer wall, there will be another insulated enclosure added for closing the penetrations on the outside chamber. Basically, there will be two insulated air tight systems for the wires.

Hope that explains it.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 11-06-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Xtreme Member
    can't wait to see temps
    Silverstone FT02
    Asus Maximus III Formula, Intel i7-875k, Corsair 4x2gb Dominator 1866mhz
    SLI EVGA GTX 580s, PCI-E X-Fi Audio
    2x WD Raptor 600gb sataIII Raid 0, 2x1tv WD SATA Black Raid1
    Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2310 3d lcd

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anything new?
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

Awesome work, I saw some of the earlier posts and nice to see it coming along quickly. Looking forward to seeing the end result in action.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    Sorry I haven't post any pics lately. I've been working on the system....but ran into a few problems. I had to completely rework the fluid distribution block and receiver tank, because they did not fit well in the cooling chamber and the Y-strainer interfered with one of the condenser coils. But, the system is starting to come together....pics will be updated soon!

I'm also thinking of changing the POE oil in the compressors. I read Solest LT-32 POE oil is designed for low temps and will extend the life of the compressor. I have a gallon of Solest 31-HE POE oil, but it is designed for medium temps and I'm not sure if I should take the chance of using the oil.

What do you guys think.....use the Solest 31-HE or buy the Solest LT-32?
    Last edited by Sweeper; 11-12-2007 at 02:53 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Update pics as promoised! As stated in previous thread, I had to rework all the liquid flow parts inorder for them to fit as planned in the cooling chamber. I will start on the mobo tray and routing the wires in the chamber this weekend. I'm also working on the compressors and hope to start up the cooling chamber to see what temps it will hold after the holiday.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 061.jpg 
Views:	5314 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	67309

Distribution block and stainless lines brazed

Name:	Goliath Pictures 062.jpg 
Views:	5326 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	67310

Receiver tank installed in the chamber

Name:	Goliath Pictures 063.jpg 
Views:	5298 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	67311

Distribution block, receiver tank and evaporator installed in the chamber

Name:	Goliath Pictures 064.jpg 
Views:	5309 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	67312

Name:	Goliath Pictures 065.jpg 
Views:	5292 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	67313

Later guys

great work

Alienware Space Black ALX : Koolance ERM-3K4U5 / Intel Core i7-965 Extreme Edition / EVGA E759 CLASSIFIED / 12GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT / ASUS HD 5970 2GB + HD5870 Tri-Fire / 30" SAMSUNG 305T / 3 VelociRaptor 150GB ( RAID 0 ) / Corsair AX1200 / OS 7 Ultimate 64 .

Alienware Saucer Silver ALX : Intel Core i5-2500K / ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB / Dual 640MB EVGA 8800GTS SLI / 3 Western Digital Raptor X 150GB ( Raid 0 ) / CORSAIR TX-750 / OS Vista Ultimate 64 .

Gateway P-6860FX T9300 / 8800GTS / OS Vista Ultimate 64

Xtreme Addict
    That block is so sexy with those stainless lines.

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the compliment! Glad to see people appreciate my work.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Yep, WAY out of my league, wish I had those skills. Awesome work and attention to detail, can't wait to see the results!

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

Xtreme Member
    A few more stupid questions.
    Why are there 3 ports on one of your distribution blocks but 4 on another?
    Will the orientation of the motherboard be vertical or horizontal?
    What are the dimensions of the inside of the chill-box?
    How will you seal the seam of the box to cope with sub zero temps?
    Will the box have an insulated metal panel like the other sides of the box or will it have a transparent window?

If it is a transparent window:
    What type of material will you use for the window?
    How do you plan to control the condensation on the outside of the window?

Sorry to take up your time but this is intriguing.
    Last edited by AllAgainstPaul; 11-16-2007 at 03:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    A few more stupid questions.
    Why are there 3 ports on one of your distribution blocks but 4 on another?
    Will the orientation of the motherboard be vertical or horizontal?
    What are the dimensions of the inside of the chill-box?
    How will you seal the seam of the box to cope with sub zero temps?
    Will the box have an insulated metal panel like the other sides of the box or will it have a transparent window?

If it is a transparent window:
    What type of material will you use for the window?
    How do you plan to control the condensation on the outside of the window?

Sorry to take up your time but this is intriguing.
    When the receiver tank was originally made, I added a extra port to access the tank from outside the chamber to fill the liquid loop. Not sure I will use it....if not, I will block it off.

The motherboard will be mounted vertical like most computer cases...I want to show off all the copper blocks and some other "Bling Bling" parts.

The inside dimensions of the cooling chamber is 16 1/2" H x 19 1/2" W x 15 1/2" D.

Are you referring to seam outside where the two chambers were assembled? If so, the seam will be caulked with silicone.

There will be a removable 1/2" thick transparent window which is made of laminated polycarbonate ( AKA Lexan ). Laminated polycarbonate is two layers of glass heat treated together with a rubber layer between them. This makes the glass stronger and acts as insulation when exposed two different temperature conditions. The glass is used in high security facilities such as prisons and jails. I should know...I build prisons for a living.

Hope this explains
    Last edited by Sweeper; 11-16-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    When the receiver tank was originally made, I added a extra port to access the tank from outside the chamber to fill the liquid loop. Not sure I will use it....if not, I will block it off.

The motherboard will be mounted vertical like most computer cases...I want to show off all the copper blocks and some other "Bling Bling" parts.

The inside dimensions of the cooling chamber is 16 1/2" H x 19 1/2" W x 15 1/2" D.

Are you referring to seam outside where the two chambers were assembled? If so, the seam will be caulked with silicone.

There will be a removable 1/2" thick transparent window which is made of laminated polycarbonate ( AKA Lexan ). Laminated polycarbonate is two layers of glass heat treated together with a rubber layer between them. This makes the glass stronger and acts as insulation when exposed two different temperature conditions. The glass is used in high security facilities such as prisons and jails. I should know...I build prisons for a living.

Hope this explains

Well you certainly built a nice klink to lock down your mobo

What can I say that has not already been said. Awesome concept...great execution...incredible display of skill..brains...coinage.

I can only hope some of that will rub off on me

Keep it up!
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Member
    Thanks CyberDruid for the support! The members of this forum inspired me to build this system....I just put a little imagination and skill of my own into the design.

-100c Club Member
    Great project in making.
    One thing I am not sure is how much turbulance of corrugated line will add to resistance of loop. Hopefully the pump is big enough to overcome it.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    Great project in making.
    One thing I am not sure is how much turbulance of corrugated line will add to resistance of loop. Hopefully the pump is big enough to overcome it.
    I don't think there will be enough resistance to matter in the liquid loop, because it is design to be a high pressure system. The pump is capable of 300 PSI.....I will be running at 150 PSI.

By the way Jinu117...great work you do on this fourm!

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Sweeper; 11-19-2007 at 04:23 AM.

Banned
    Sweeper, you sick sick sick dude! I can't wait to see this done, it's gonna be mental!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The pump is capable of 300 PSI.....I will be running at 150 PSI.
    How do you figure it will be running at 150 psi? and why would you want to do that?

Great work so far sweeper!
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast