Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Goliath Triple Cooling System

Xtreme Cruncher
    That's a damn shrine to cooling.
    20 Logs on the fire for WCG: i7 920@2.8 X3220@3.0 X3220@2.4 E8400@4.05 E6600@2.4

Xtreme Member
    Thanks CyberDruid. I like to make everything neat and clean. I've notice you do some interesting work...I've followed your threads.

-150c Club Member
    Fans on outside would yield better performance.
    Last edited by n00b 0f l337; 10-26-2007 at 06:49 PM.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Noob, what do you mean....you agree with the current setup?

-150c Club Member
    I'm sorry, edited post, I meant outside. On the outside it will help reveal the dead zone in center of the fan.
    Otherwise, great work and great craftsmanship. I wish I had some great fan shrouds for my condensers.

Xtreme Member
    The fans are rated 175 cfm each, so think I can give up a little performance for a clean look and more room in the case. I still have a lot more components that will be added....thanks for the advice.

-150c Club Member
    Ah that'll work then

Xtreme Addict
    Beautiful work man, this thing is gonna be sooo sharp.

What kind of rig are you gonna be hooking this up to? just out of curiosity.

I hope you never have to move, you might just have to leave that big bi** behind

XBOX Gamertag:Fujimitsu - I'm lonely, be my friend!

Xtreme Member
    I currently have AMD system that I will be testing the cooling system with for several months to make sure there are no leaks or problems in the cooling chamber. After testing is complete and if I have some money left from building this thing.... I'll change to Intel base components.

Maybe these components:

Processor: Intel QX9770
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
    Memory: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 2GB
    Video Card: Nvidia 8900
    Last edited by Sweeper; 10-29-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Xtreme Member
    ummm yeah, that's a really crappy possible set of components you have listed there...

Xtreme Member
    I've been working most of the day on Goliath and almost completed the fab work. The next step is to start prepping the cooling chamber for motherboard, wiring, evaporator, distributing block and liquid receiver. I will also start piping in the compressors...now the fun will really start!

I have a few more pics to share of the progress...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goliath Pictures 051.jpg 
Views:	5949 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	66302

Condenser shrouds and fans complete

Name:	Goliath Pictures 052.jpg 
Views:	5926 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	66303

Evaporator shroud for cooling chamber

Name:	Goliath Pictures 053.jpg 
Views:	5904 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	66304

Evaporator side view

Name:	Goliath Pictures 054.jpg 
Views:	5941 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	66305

Evaporator in cooling chamber...probably will mount to the top of cooling chamber.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 055.jpg 
Views:	5935 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	66306

Xtreme Cruncher
    looks like a very ambitious but very well thought out project. I'm not sure about how any of that works but i'm sure you do

good luck with the rest

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

-150c Club Member
    Looks great indeed!
    Love the fab work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @cyberdruid: lower your sign please..
    The Devil's Reject

Xtreme Addict
    Very nice dude. I hope once this project is finished, we can sticky it, and any one who comes in askin about dehumidifiers, cold chambers etc. we can divert to this post. Every thing seems to be done perfectly.

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks TopherTony It would be cool if my thread went to a sticky! As I stated in the beginning of the thread, I will be posting detailed progress with pictures and I hope my work can be helpful to others in there builds. I have a lot more to come in the next few weeks...I had to breakout one of the compressors to verify that I had enough clearance in my case. They will fit exactly as planned!

Check it out...

Name:	Goliath Pictures 056.jpg 
Views:	5921 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	66309

Banned
    Joseph!, Mary!, and Jesus!!!

Xtreme Member
    Im really exited to see this in action. Keep on the good work!

What are you going to use as liquid? Freezium might work better than alcohol based liquids.

Thats a nice waterblock but i think you would get even better performance by surface area right over core with channels so that it causes as much turbulence as possible (as in many current commercial waterblocks). It will create pressure loss but it also improves heat exchange a lot.

But this cooler will kick ass anyway.
    "I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    I currently have AMD system that I will be testing the cooling system with for several months to make sure there are no leaks or problems in the cooling chamber. After testing is complete and if I have some money left from building this thing.... I'll change to Intel base components.

Maybe these components:

Processor: Intel QX6850
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
    Memory: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 2GB
    Video Card: Nvidia 8900
    I think it is a very good idea, as although your job is superb you are not using everyday water cooling methods; so no one knows in whch shall end this lovely project

forgot to tell ya I love the way you work
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice work Sweeper, are you going to put a water drain or any defrost devices on the evaporator?
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Member
    DetroitAC, hope I will not need a defrost device due to the evaporator coil will be in air tight chamber, which shouldn't accumulate frost. I will be adding a drain for vacuum, after the system is shut down. Hopefully, my idea will work...I will have to find out later on during the testing stage.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 10-28-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Nice Project! Loving the detail.

Xtreme Member
    I was wondering, how do you plan to insulate the chill box? I'm guessing that you plan to use some sort of insulate in the walls. Are you planning to use several layers of neoprene foam? If so I may have an alternative. In home insulation they sometimes use expanding foam. It is distributed by spray and once applied it forms a solid piece of insulation and can be shaved to any shape. You could spray the outside of the inner wall, then shave it so the outer wall can slide over it and weld it up.
    For more information Click Here

Speaking of the chill box. how do you plan to run the wires through the walls?
    You would need to make small extension cords for all the wires and seal them into the walls of the chill box so they don't leak air and precipitation. You would also have to shield the hard drive and DVD/CD wires if they run longer than 1 meter. You might also put a several spare wires through as well in case you upgrade and need more outputs.
    I figure that you would need at maximum:
    3 DVI
    8 SATA
    2 PATA
    1 Floppy
    8 3.5mm Jack Wires.
    2 24pin Molex
    4 8pin Molex
    6 6pin Molex
    1 4pin Molex
    1 Wireless extension wire
    6 Cat6
    30 CMOS Reset, Fan, LED, Power, Restart, Misc
    There are probably several different types that i forgot but those were the basics.

Budgets, Bling, We Need Not These. We Have Science!

Xtreme Addict
    First, that foam isnt rated to those tmeps. Only low 20s. Closed Cell Foam is the best insulating foam to use for this. Most efficient and a lot neater.

How do you figure he is going to need 3 DVI, and 6 CAT6?? This computer will be controller remotely from another PC elsewhere, if you had read the entire post. And he has already planned for this.

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the suggestion regarding the spray foam....but TopherTony is correct. I've assembled the double wall cooling chamber with 1" closed cell insulation between the walls. It was a real pain in the a$$ to assemble! The wires for power to the components in the cooling chamber will run through a custom wire loom housing that I made. It can be disassembled to add more wires if needed for future upgrades.

I'm currently working on piping the compressors, control layout and making some parts for the high pressure liquid loop. I've also made a few mistakes and I had to change a few things. So, its taking me a little longer to post pictures of the progress.... hopefully I will get something completed over the weekend.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 11-02-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast