Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Goliath Triple Cooling System

Xtreme Member

Goliath Triple Cooling System

I’m starting this thread to share my experience of building a custom cooling system and hope with the help of some of the expert builders on this site, I can accomplish this difficult task. I’ve been a member for a long time and I’ve read many threads that inspired me to put my skills to work. My primary skills are in metal work, welding, electronics and I’m learning about refrigeration, which I hope the members on this site can help me through some troubled times during the build. So, I decided to build a mixture of systems that are discussed on this website. There will be documented pictures throughout the build and I ask that members be patient, because this system will not be built in a few days. I have been planning this for about a year and purchased many parts during that time.

Now, its time to put it all together!

I’m sure some of you are wondering what will be involved in this build. Let me say this…. Everything will be custom made, all metal work for the case will be fabricated from stock aluminum metal, all water blocks, distribution manifolds and reservoir will be made from copper stock. The only thing that will not be custom, will be the compressors and electrical components. With that said, here is a list of things to look forward to in this build.

1. The custom case is fabricated from aluminum and will be designed to house three cooling systems. This case is very large 48” W x 48” H x 18” D. This will not be something you can put on a computer desk.

2. There will be two ½ HP compressors with R507 refrigerant cooling two different systems. I’m hoping to get the temps down to around -40 for each system.

3. The first cooling system will cool down a low temp heat transfer fluid to -40 that will remove heat from the CPU and two video cards. Each component will have separate cooling loop.

4. The second cooling system will cool down a custom air tight chamber, which the motherboard, CPU and video cards will be mounted. The idea is to keep the air inside down to -40 and not have to insulate any of the components. Also, the ram and chipset will be cooled by the circulating -40 air in the chamber.

5. The third cooling system will be a water loop outside the cooling chamber that will cool four hard drives, due to hard drives do not operate well under low temperatures.

6. The cooling blocks will be designed for maximum flow of heat transfer fluid under 150 PSI. The high pressure fluid will move through the cooling blocks rapidly removing heat from the components. Needless to say, there will not be any rubber hose and clamps in this build.

These are the highlights of the custom build and there will be a lot more to come. I know similar systems have been done on this website and others, but I’m sure everyone will be interested in knowing how “Goliath” will turn out.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 11-02-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i cant wait to see it!
    might want to add a dehumidifier just in case.
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

-150c Club Member
    Trust me the air cooler will act as a dehumidifer, when its off he'll need a water pan. As for a single 1/2 hp compressor (generalizing on size wont help you either) to get -40C with a 600-700 watt load, you might have some problems

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    then again all if the case is ait tight you would continue to recirculate the same air over and over again. which you would only need to remove the water once. but since he is using two 1/2 HP compressors wouldent the A/C one take away half the heat. i'll go do some math when i get home
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

Xtreme Member
    I'm thinking along the same line....the compressors are rated at low temp -40. The receiving tank and distribution block for the liquid loop is mounted inside the cooling chamber. So, I'm thinking the two systems should stay around the same temps, because each system will be cooling in the same sealed space. I guess we will find out!

I've completed the case structure and most of the water blocks for the liquid loop. I will be posting pictures within a few days. I'm currently mocking up the case for installation of the components. Lot of prep work involved to make sure everything fits in the right place.

Thanks for the replies!

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    This will be very interesting. I've got my fingers crossed that you can complete, a few people have refrigerated chambers like what you speak of for benchmarking, hope you can pull it off

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I had a little extra time tonight, so I will start by posting a few picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goliath Pictures 1.jpg 
Views:	17114 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	68876

The case is starting to take shape, but still has a lot of work to finish.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 2.jpg 
Views:	16936 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	68877

Notice the metal texture, once it is painted ( ice blue ) it will look like frozen water drops.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 3.jpg 
Views:	19313 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	68878

The evaporator coil for the cooling chamber.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 4.jpg 
Views:	16929 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	68879

The plate heat exchanger for liquid cooling loop....its should be big enough.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 5.jpg 
Views:	16799 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	68880

The liquid receiver with a Y strainer.

Well, this it for tonight. I will post more tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 12-16-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what else do i spy! one massive pump!!!
    got to say you crazy! cant wait to see the end result!
    cpu- Intel I7 3930K
    Asus P9x79 Deluxe
    2x HD7970
    32gb ddr3-1600
    corsair ax1200
    Corsair 800D
    Corsair H100 lapped
    2x 128gb M4 raid 0

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Love the polished copper and the attention to detail on those welds

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, that is some awesome brazing. Did you use anything before brazing to keep it shiny, or just polish after wards?

Do you have your compressors yet? What kind are they? Are you using txvs or cap tube?

Looking great so far.

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, the pump will not be problem with this system. It is capable of pumping 330 gph at 250 psi. As far as the brazing....the main thing in welding or brazing any metals is cleaning before welding. The polishing of copper after brazing is a old method of dipping, instead of hand polishing for hours. Dipping cleans inside and outside of the copper, polishing only cleans the outside to make it shiny.

I do have the 2200 BTU compressors " Tecumseh " and 98% of all components to complete the system. I will be using TXV's and alot more goodies for the refrigeration system.

I will post more pictures tonight.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 10-03-2007 at 06:00 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Below is few more pictures....enjoy!

Name:	Goliath Pictures 6.jpg 
Views:	16564 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	68881

Massive pump that is rated for 330 gph at 250 psi.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 7.jpg 
Views:	16158 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	68882

Distribution block milled from a soild bar of copper. This will have three individual lines to the CPU and two video cards. All my copper blocks are milled with a manual mill, so they take alot of time to make.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 9.jpg 
Views:	16241 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	68883

Distribution block side view.

Name:	Dristribution Block 8.jpg 
Views:	15952 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	68884

Distribution block with 1/2" thick clear lexan window to view the flow of liquid.

Now, I must get back to work, still have a lot to do.
    Last edited by Sweeper; 12-16-2007 at 05:05 AM.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Looking good, Sub'ed

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

Xtreme Mentor
    This is something CyberDruid would do...
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Why did you use copper for the distribution block? You could have used brass, cheaper and easier to machine. You even could have used a 2" thick piece of clear plastic. You wouldn't have to worry about it cracking since everything will be the same temp. Great work by the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-150c Club Member
    Wow very clean work!

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Subscribed. This looks good.

Xtreme Member
    I'm working on the condensers for the refrigeration cooling cycle. I know this may be a little over the top...but, I like to go to the xtreme with everything. Someone ask why use copper for my distribution block...well, because I have lots of copper bars in my shop and brass bars are almost as expensive.

Below are few more pics...

Name:	Goliath Pictures 19.jpg 
Views:	17336 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	65255

Two condenser coils that will be joined together for better cooling.

Name:	Goliath Pictures 20.jpg 
Views:	16979 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	65256

Name:	Goliath Pictures 21.jpg 
Views:	16892 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	65257

Name:	Goliath Pictures 22.jpg 
Views:	16772 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	65258

I think the condensers fit well in the case and should do a great job to cool down the high pressure gas. I will have 6 fans on each condenser and they are rated at 175 cfm each for a total of 1050 cfm. Now that is some cooling power

Xtreme Member
    *Drools

That's gonna be one sweet project, dude!

My one concern is your use of Lexan as a block top; I heard stories of it becoming very brittle at -30*C or so, even though it can supposedly handle -40*C. YMMV.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, you are at home in these forums. Xtreme is right. This is insane.

What is that hanging bracket for?

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice work so far Sweeper, mind showing me the other side of those condenser coils so i can see the circuiting, might be able to offer some advice there.

I also think you will not be able to hold the CPU and two video cards at -40C with a 1/2hp compressor, maybe but do you know the heat output from the cpu and cards? Since you'll be using a chiller loop, you might think about using some of the cooling power of the 2nd compressor to help.

You will likely have to have some sort of defrost controls or other scheme for the air evaporator. If you pull down from ambient to those temps, the core would get a bit frosty. I'm not sure though, if it's well sealed to air infiltration it might be OK.

How are you going to insulate the cooled space?
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Member
    StarKiller, Lexan has a low temp rating of -60 and shouldn't have any problem with the temps in the cooling chamber. The view window for the cooling chamber will also have 1/2' Lexan.

TopherTony, The brackets are to hold the liquid receiver in place....scroll up to the pictures, you can see that it is huge and is heavy.

DetroitAC, The picture you requested is attached. I don't see much that can be changed....but, I could be wrong. I have some concerns about the 1/2 hp compressor keeping up with the amount of heat the CPU and two video cards put off. But, I have a back up plan if the compressor cannot keep up. I've designed the case to be able to house a phase exchange for the CPU if needed. I'm tring to keep the project running with 110V power. Larger compressor means higher voltage and less room in the case. I also have a couple of inline heat exchangers for the suction line, if the condensing coils can't remove the heat.

Think I have a plan to make this project work.....but, only time will tell. I'm sure as this thing starts to come together, I will need a lot of help from you guys and I will greatly appreciate it.

Name:	Condenser 23.jpg 
Views:	16795 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	65277
    Last edited by Sweeper; 10-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Suscribed... very impressived...
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @
    Cruz Alta (Cba.) Argentina

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nicely circuited for condenser coils. The airflow should go in the face with no side-flange overhang, and out the face with side-flange overhang. Refrigerant in the top-most port, jumper between coils from the two ports that are close to each other, and liquid out of the bottom port. That'll put the refrig. to air delta temperatures the best way. This looks like exactly what you were planning, so maybe this isn't any news. Just thought it might be nice to get a second opinion
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

Xtreme Member
    DetroitAC, thanks for the advice. That was the plan for setting up the condenser coils, but I don't understand what you mean by the fan installation.

Checkout the picture below...this is what my plan is for the installation of the fans. The picture doesn't show the aluminum shroud that will be fabricated for mounting the fans. Which air direction is better? Air being pulled through the coils or air being blown through the coils? I think it doesn't matter which direction....what do you think?

Name:	Goliath Pictures 24.jpg 
Views:	16690 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	65294

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast