Thread: Applying Thermal Paste

Xtreme Addict

Applying Thermal Paste

It really feels like when I apply thermal paste, I do it wrong.

I can never make a line as small as the one I see in the Arctic Silver 5 diagram, mine ends up bigger. I'm running a Q6600 B3 with a Freezer 7 Pro at about 40C idle and with 55C under load. With the stock paste, I recall it being less than this. I put some Arctic Silver 5 on, and with this heatsink, it feels hot even for a B3.

When I overclock and up my Vcore, my temperatures skyrocket into the 80's after a bit.

Does this sound right? Is there some secret to applying thermal paste I am missing? Am I putting too much on?

Any suggestions would be great.
    Last edited by ExodusC; 09-29-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    It really feels like when I apply thermal paste, I do it wrong.

I can never make a line as small as the one I see in the Arctic Silver 5 diagram, mine ends up bigger. I'm running a Q6600 B3 with a Freezer 7 Pro at about 40C idle and with 55C under load. With the stock paste, I recall it being less than this. I put some Arctic Silver 5 on, and with this heatsink, it feels hot even for a B3.

When I overclock and up my Vcore, my temperatures skyrocket into the 80's after a bit.

Does this sound right? Is there some secret to applying thermal paste I am missing? Am I putting too much on?

Any suggestions would be great.
    Those temps are actually very good ;-) you must be doing somthing right because B3's run hot. Biggest problem u might have is because the ACFreezer 7 pro is too small for a quad core.

Xtreme Addict
    Well, the temps jump into the 80's under load after a little Vcore increase.

I can't seem to keep stable even at 3.0GHz.

Maybe I just have a bad chip?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    Well, the temps jump into the 80's under load after a little Vcore increase.

I can't seem to keep stable even at 3.0GHz.

Maybe I just have a bad chip?
    most B3's dont overclock that high, its just the stepping, and the 80c jump seems about right, how high did you increase the vcore when that happened, ive been searching for a stable oc on my b3 for weeks now, cant find one.

Xtreme Cruncher
    when i apply paste i place a blob in the center of the ihs and i use a credit card to spread it out across the whole of the ihs. I start with a small amound and add more if needed.
    Some people use the blob in the middle and let the Heat sink do the spreading

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Cruncher
    it will not help much with how you apply thermal paste right now because your heatsink cant not dissipates the heat produced by the Q6600. Unless you going to upgrade your heatsink to a thermalright ultra 120 extreme or pop the IHS of the quad (which you prob not going to), you wont see much improvement.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    when i apply paste i place a blob in the center of the ihs and i use a credit card to spread it out across the whole of the ihs. I start with a small amound and add more if needed.
    Some people use the blob in the middle and let the Heat sink do the spreading
    i do the same thing just with line on one side the pull over then back then top to bottom until its as this as possible
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    just slap a decent sized line, dont worry if it doesnt look like the pic on artics site. ive found with quad. a little bit more is actually better. just dont gunk it on.

Ive recently dumped as5 though and started using plain old cermaniqe spread out with a cc. works better.
    ~