Thread: aagrrr, 1 quad down .. bad day

Xtreme Cruncher

aagrrr, 1 quad down .. bad day

Pi$$ed at work seem to be not enough, came home and found out one of my quad is down. Took about 1 1/2 hour to figure out what went wrong. Yes, I probably kill another set of Balistix Tracer 8500 @ 2.2v after 3-4 months of WCG .. so I swear .. from now on no more than 2.1v .. this is the 3rd set of Tracer I've killed in 8 months. .. bad bad .. friggin' bad day.

sorry bout tha rants .. just need to get it out.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Dang, sorry to hear

-SS

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    sounds like you need a drink

Got an Xtreme System? Bring it here! <----

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx] mysticmerlin View Post
    sounds like you need a drink
    Thanks bud, I do need that drink ..

100% Load 24/7
    I have noticed the same thing with ram dieing. I have had two sets of D9 die on me from crunching 24/7. One set at 2.2v, the other at 2.15v, both with 120mm fans blowing on them. I think it is just the ram can't handle it for long periods of time. I have a set of Corsair that I'm pretty sure is Promos, it has been at 2.2v for about 6 months and still going strong. The D9's clock great, but I don't know how good they are at running 100% over time. My other D9's I have clocked down to run at either 1.9 or 2.0v.
    Main Rig
    i7 2600k l Asus P8P67 l 2x2gb Gskill l GTS450 l Venomous X l XClio 680

Same here. I have RMAed my BallistiX DDR2-800 twice already. My new DDR2-1066 Ballistix is slowly degrading over time. Damn you Crucial

Xtreme Addict
    Eheh.. Yeah, Seems Crucial has some kinda crunch bug against em. The stick I had that died was a Ballistix 1066. Since I got them in a dualie kit, im gonna have to send em both back at the same time leaving my main out of commission for a bit.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My Tracers are still alive and kicking but it's only been about 6 months. I run them at 1100MHz 2.0v so hopefully they are OK.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

version 2.0
    Seems to happen with all micron D9 , it's not Crucial Ballistix only.
    Well not all D9 ram dies , but there's a high failure rate.

Anyway , I refuse to buy anything else It's simply the best ram period.
    Just go easy on the volts , I use 2.1vdimm max. And some airflow over the RAM. But that's still no garantuee they won't fail over time.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Sorry to hear that Huey, I was wondering why your number was off today. I had some "instability" with the clocks I PM'ed you on earlier. It seems the "dog" machine, farm-04 decided to throw the server 15 errored HPF2 WUs. This was after running stable for two days.... That earned it a 21 hour stay in the penalty box. I switched it over to FAAH, downclocked to 2.7gig, and it's fine.

As to mem, I'm running 6 quads on Gskill with D9s. Two on Corsair with who knows what. Only one machine is running 2.1V the rest are chunking along at 1.85 to 1.9. My Ram is all underclocked, running linked and synced on the 680i boards. (5 of those.) The others I've underclocked using the p5b, p5k options.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, clocking mem for crunching is a don't care. Right?

I followed the advice Viet (Huey) gave me after frying and RMA'ing a set of the Corsair. That's to keep the mem volts under 2.1

Rock on Viet, I'm following you....

Regards,
    Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, clocking mem for crunching is a don't care. Right?
    Yes, but there is times you need to feed the ram more for the cpu to clock to it potential so the volts could still be high.

Xtreme Cruncher
    that sucks to hear. one thing about the D9's they clock great but degrade overtime.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

Xtreme Legend
    Sorry to hear about your RAM dying. D9 modules do not seem to like high voltage for extended periods of time. I run my Crucial Ballistix at 2.0v. So far, I have not had any problems. Anything above 2.1v can shorten their life, especially if your board has a tendency to overvolt.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    Seems to happen with all micron D9 , it's not Crucial Ballistix only.
    Well not all D9 ram dies , but there's a high failure rate.

Anyway , I refuse to buy anything else It's simply the best ram period.
    Just go easy on the volts , I use 2.1vdimm max. And some airflow over the RAM. But that's still no garantuee they won't fail over time.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    Sorry to hear that Huey, I was wondering why your number was off today. I had some "instability" with the clocks I PM'ed you on earlier. It seems the "dog" machine, farm-04 decided to throw the server 15 errored HPF2 WUs. This was after running stable for two days.... That earned it a 21 hour stay in the penalty box. I switched it over to FAAH, downclocked to 2.7gig, and it's fine.

As to mem, I'm running 6 quads on Gskill with D9s. Two on Corsair with who knows what. Only one machine is running 2.1V the rest are chunking along at 1.85 to 1.9. My Ram is all underclocked, running linked and synced on the 680i boards. (5 of those.) The others I've underclocked using the p5b, p5k options.

I followed the advice Viet (Huey) gave me after frying and RMA'ing a set of the Corsair. That's to keep the mem volts under 2.1

Rock on Viet, I'm following you....

Regards,
    Bob
    That's exactly what happened to me. The errors caught my eyes and I knew there's something wrong cuz that the P5K-Deluxe (my best rig). Did several tests and found out one of the stick was failing.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    Sorry to hear about your RAM dying. D9 modules do not seem to like high voltage for extended periods of time. I run my Crucial Ballistix at 2.0v. So far, I have not had any problems. Anything above 2.1v can shorten their life, especially if your board has a tendency to overvolt.

Actually my P5K-D runs a little undervolt on the RAM. Set in bios 2.2, but measure only 2.16v - 2.18v with DMM. That's one of the reason I kept it at 2.2v cuz I thought it might be ok.

Well, got the wifey went to Frys this morning and grab me 2 sets of OCZ Ripe Reaper. Just replace them a while ago .. need to run stable test then it'll be back online.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My Ballistix died, and I e-mailed Crucial. They informed me they were experiencing a high increase in e-mails to the RMA department, and it took a while to finally get it set up. Now, the interesting trick to that was I bought my sticks at the same time Newegg launched huge rebates on the Crucial stuff. Might be lots of Ballistix failures from 2.2V after about 4-5 months. Just my guess there.

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Quote Originally Posted by VietOZ View Post
    Well, got the wifey went to Frys this morning and grab me 2 sets of OCZ Ripe Reaper. Just replace them a while ago .. need to run stable test then it'll be back online.
    I'm lucky to get a pack of smokes out of my wife and you get 2 sets of high end ram. Tell me how to do it master

Wandersome Cruncher
    He said "and get what you want"
    Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm lucky to get a pack of smokes out of my wife and you get 2 sets of high end ram. Tell me how to do it master

Very very Simple. You pay the bills

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by vaiodeux View Post
    He said "and get what you want"

I saw that commercial .. lolz

Wandersome Cruncher
    I saw that commercial .. lolz
    Eh?

I didn't
    Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

Join XS WCG or \/ !!
    Very very Simple. You pay the bills
    I could do that but then the crunchers wouldn't have a home to run in. Haven't had a saving account sence we took over raising the grand kids

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I could do that but then the crunchers wouldn't have a home to run in. Haven't had a saving account sence we took over raising the grand kids
    HMM, Grand kids huh?
    maybe build them a big hampster wheel to run in and generate some elec to help with then expenses?
    I can see it now: Run you little buggers!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    VietOZ - you really should get some OCZ ram thats OVP certified upto 2.4v them hamsters should survive you

there was a good deal on egg on them

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227261 110$ for 2gb

edit: i REALLY should start reading the whole thread when replying
    Last edited by anubis; 09-30-2007 at 09:28 AM.
    Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25