Thread: CPU Cache Disabling

Xtreme Member

CPU Cache Disabling

Hi,

With old-school motherboards we are able to disable the CPU Cache.

With these new motherboards (P35, ...) we are not able to disable the CPU Cache on the BIOS.

Someone knows how to disable the cache @ windows?

I tried to change the value of the key "SecondLevelDataCache" in the registry to "0", but doesn't work..

[]s,

Xtreme Member
    "SecondLevelDataCache" is only for ancient hardware with on-mobo L2 cache.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183063

I'd imagine the reason the option in the BIOS is gone is because it would cripple your CPU rather immensely. And there really is little reason to turn it off. It used to be used for better DOS speed support. If you wanted to gimp your system for old DOS apps, say.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaaye View Post
    "SecondLevelDataCache" is only for ancient hardware with on-mobo L2 cache.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183063

I'd imagine the reason the option in the BIOS is gone is because it would cripple your CPU rather immensely. And there really is little reason to turn it off. It used to be used for better DOS speed support. If you wanted to gimp your system for old DOS apps, say.
    True.

But I really need to turn it off (not about DOS apps). I've my reasons

Do you know how to disable it?

Regards,

Xtreme Member
    Sure
    Take a hammer and punch to the left side of your CPU and tap lightly.

Other than that - I don't think there are even any software plugs that will disable the cache on a CPU. The closest we get is buying a CPU with a lesser amount of cahce - such as the Celeron's and Allendales.

Xtreme Member
    If you need cache disable really bad, maybe you can try running an older system?

--pak
    Q6600 400x9 1.5vcore
    P5kdeluxe Ballistix 2x1gb
    D5 coolrad32t Fuzion
    EVGA 8800GTS 320 600/900
    2xRaptor 36g Raid-0
    Creative X-Fi Extrememusic
    PCP&P silencer 750 copper
    Built for the sole purpse to play World Of Warcraft and troll XSforums.
    Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Like a Cacheless Covington Celeron... XD
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Member
    Why do you want to disable the cache? If it's some DOS app, use DOSBOX instead. I've only seen a few utilities that can disable L2 cache, and those were back in the AMD K6 days

Xtreme Guru
    As far as I know, this is not possible on modern processors.
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by N3RO View Post
    I've my reasons

Care to let us in you your reasons?

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    As far i know those reasons are for Wery good overclockings by mhz when L2 cache is dissabled.

20-30% more in mhz

Xtreme Legend
    Disabling L2 is processor specific, and for that reason needs to write to a MSR.

Besides, you can disable all caching with the control register 0 (CR0), that works on all CPUs.
    But doing this results in a drastic slow down. And when I say drastic, I mean it

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Hey cpu-z

Yes agree abaut slowing, and you will have to wait for windows boot up much much longer. And same gows to all task when you start it.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I used to disable the L2 on the slot-based Pentium II and IIIs with off-die cache. You could go a little higher. It wasn't practical because you lost way more in speed than you gained from clock. Also on K6-III systems with crappy, barely overclockable mobo L2 cache disabling the mobo cache wasn't a bad choice cuz the K6-III cached so much better anyway and you could overclock the bus more that way.

But man there's a reason CPUs have L2 cache. Their efficiency goes down the tubes in an insane way without it. Your Core 2 will turn into something like a Pentium 90! (ok maybe not quite that bad lol)
    Last edited by swaaye; 09-27-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Atleast now ppl know old_scool stuff, and they can overclock into much hier frequencies.(nubs)
    Besides some old/basic real (those wich can olny be run olny in dos)dos proggys need L2 dissabled, to awoid errors.
    Last edited by Nikolasz; 09-27-2007 at 12:25 PM.