Thread: Project: MM Ascension SketchUp help, advice, and input for my first WC build...

Xtreme Enthusiast

Project: MM Ascension SketchUp help, advice, and input for my first WC build...

Hello All,

I am strating the planning phase of what may turn out to be a very long term build. Long term because of the cost of all of the components and the time it will take to save the funds. I have been very impressed with all of the SketchUp renderings and know the value of prior planning, especially with water cooling and component placement.

Here is a rundown of the build, I am not too specific because I am still very open to changes in direction.

I have put together a list of components from Newegg.com and I am continuing to refine. If you think I am missing the mark, please let me know.

I would like to run 3X or 4X Sli all water cooled, G300 or latest generation nVidia available when I do have the funds.

SSDs....when price comes down, not holding my breath.

The goal is to have an "epic" gaming rig that is as cutting edge as possible.

2 Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller Panel - Retail

1 EVGA 170-BL-E762-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 4-WAY SLI Classified XL ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

2 CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible ... - Retail

1 Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601975 - Retail

1 nMEDIAPC ZE-C68 All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ USB Port - Retail
    Model #:ZE-C68

2 G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD -

1 LITE-ON DVD Writer - Bulk - Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM

1 SAMSUNG Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B083L/RSBP LightScribe Support - Retail
    Model #:SH-B083L/RSBP

1 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series 70SB088600007 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - Retail
    The case I am looking to use is the MM Ascension with the horizontal MB tray. I have strated using SketchUp but most of my measurements are a guess, or measurements I have taken from my MM UFO case. Oh yeay, my SketchUp skills consist of drawing flat surfaces with holes in them.

I could use some help with SketchUp and the constructing of the case. This is my atempt and constructing one of the panels...took me forever!!

Does anyone know if there are "official" measurements of the case, or if someone has already made some of the components? I have found a couple of the SketchUp libraries but I didn't see MM cases there.

Please let me know what you think of my components and as I go along, the layout of my case.

Thanks for your help and this forum is just great!!

-Jason
    Last edited by Jsunn; 12-29-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsunn View Post
    Hello All,

I am strating the planning phase of what may turn out to be a very long term build. Long term because of the cost of all of the components and the time it will take to save the funds. I have been very impressed with all of the SketchUp renderings and know the value of prior planning, especially with water cooling and component placement.

Here is a rundown of the build, I am not too specific because I am still very open to changes in direction.

I have put together a list of components from Newegg.com and I am continuing to refine. If you think I am missing the mark, please let me know.

I would like to run 3X or 4X Sli all water cooled, G300 or latest generation nVidia available when I do have the funds.

SSDs....when price comes down, not holding my breath.

The goal is to have an "epic" gaming rig that is as cutting edge as possible.

The case I am looking to use is the MM Ascension with the horizontal MB tray. I have strated using SketchUp but most of my measurements are a guess, or measurements I have taken from my MM UFO case. Oh yeay, my SketchUp skills consist of drawing flat surfaces with holes in them.

I could use some help with SketchUp and the constructing of the case. This is my atempt and constructing one of the panels...took me forever!!

Does anyone know if there are "official" measurements of the case, or if someone has already made some of the components? I have found a couple of the SketchUp libraries but I didn't see MM cases there.

Please let me know what you think of my components and as I go along, the layout of my case.

Thanks for your help and this forum is just great!!

-Jason
    I have modeled Ascensions YOu need the SKP file?
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Addict
    Another interesting place to look for Sketchup Components is here, or maybe even here.

I've spent quite a lot of hours with sketchup(here's a project I'm currently working on), so if you got any questions, feel free to ask.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DarthBeavis, that would be great...I can send you a PM with my e-mail address. I remember your cross build! Been a big fan of your's for a long time. Thanks for the help! I think the Ascension is the only case that will fit what I am trying to do.

Alenandr0s, thanks for the links, I did have the first link, not the second, I will definitly be dropping you a line as I cotinue down this path. Nice system also, when will it see reality?!

Just another reason why I love this board, Thanks again guys!

-Jason
    Last edited by Jsunn; 12-29-2009 at 04:41 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Addict
    As soon as college will allow me . I'm way too busy preparing for upcoming exams . But I think I'll have the money and time to start building by april .

I think the Ascension is the only case that will fit wht I am trying to do.
    What exactly are you trying to do?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    As soon as college will allow me . I'm way too busy preparing for upcoming exams . But I think I'll have the money and time to start building by april .

What exactly are you trying to do?
    This will be my first watercooled build, I want to use the 4 way SLi EVGA Classified MoBo and there are only a few cases that will fit this motherboard with the 2 PSUs required for 4 way SLi.

It is going to be a H U G E system.

Would like at least 2 loops for water cooling, maybe 3, still figuring that piece out.

I am not quite sure what is the best configuration for the water cooling loop(s).

Combo A
    Loop 1: CPU only
    Loop 2: Chipset and MOSFETS
    Loop 3: 4 video cards (4 way SLi)

Combo B
    Loop 1: CPU and chipset and MOSFETS
    Loop 2: 2 Video Cards
    Loop 3: 2 Video Cards

Combo C
    Loop 1: CPU
    Loop 2: Chipset and MOSFETS
    Loop 3: 3 Video Cards (3 way SLi) air cooled physx

Combo D
    Loop 1: CPU and chipset and MOSFETS
    Loop 2: 4 video cards (4 way SLi)

There are a lot of fruit flavor combinations!

What do you think?

-Jason
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Addict
    My suggestion:

3 loops:
    1st: CPU only
    2nd: 2 video cards and mosfets
    3rd: 2 video cards and chipset

IMO that's the best distribution of heat.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DarthBeavis,

Can I still bug you for the SKP file? I shot you a PM not too long ago.

Thanks a million!

-J
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

Pics of my computer