Thread: Dragon F1

Threaded View

Dragon F1

This is my latest project....Dragon F1 CPU ln2 unit. I posted some early pics in the 3d team forum with tons of quad performance numbers in 3dmark2006 here for those that didn’t see them:
    QUADZILLA This forum is prolly more proper for post like this.

Here are some of my best results from that thread and some other results using both INTEL QX6700 B3, QX6850 GO quad cpus on the F1, and INTEL X6800XE B2 at nearly 2v 5400mhz 3d. This unit was 90% designed and tested with quads in 3dmark2006, and I have been working on it since last fall doing tons of benching on it. First few revs were overkill and it took awhile to get a nice feel/tune with the quad at 5.2ghz+ pushing 4 cores in 06. I wanted the perfect balance between ability to remove heat rapidly and swing control. This isn't the kind of unit that you run full of LN2 and sit there and watch as it warms up in cpu tests at high load with quad, then you pour more and more ln2 in the unit only to have it cold bug after cpu tests are done .
    F1 unit is just the opposite, and this is where the unit really shines. You run it by pouring much smaller amounts of LN2 into the unit more frequently, letting it go nearly empty between pours. It has ALOT of power for temperature pull down under load due to the massive base and surface design that is always there if you need it...hint cpu tests . The more you pour, the more pull down power the container has, but it is never too much as the internal base design causes really rapid boil off.

All these test run with default card clocks as just emphasizing cpu overclock/power.
    QX6850 GO @5346mhz for full 3dmark2006 4 cores...sometimes you see guys posting high mhz with quad on 4 cores but they have throttling causing poor cpu scores due to cpu instability, not here 8500+ cpu score. Again these are real deal quad clocks, no disabling cores BS:

QX6700 B3 @ 5145mhz for full 3dmark2006 4 cores:

X6800XE B2 @5386/1.98v 3dmark 01:

and the F1 pron:

Next to new Evo2.4 unit for scale. It's massive and is cut from a huge copper block:

F1 kit. Also comes with all necessary insulation both round and sheet to mount the unit:

Pot mounted on a striker bare and fully insulated perfect fit even with heatpipe assembly:

A ton of copper :

Up to this point most of my units have been very limited run, but I am investing much more of my time and efforts into this now and I am really committed to trying to develop the best possible containers for benching. It is much easier to imitate then innovate I guess ....not what I am about.

New evo2.4 revision pictured above comes with same kit as before incuding all mounting hardware and insulation. Didn’t bother with a lot of pics as the changes are mostly unseen and minor. Still a great and easy to use DI/ln2 unit and kit for entry-mid benching levels. Got some new tek9 gpu units coming that will be a nice step from current ones out there including my own. New gpu units will address some issues that need to be corrected with current gpu designs making them much more suitable for benching. Also some other cool items in the works for Xtreme benching ….soon.
    Last edited by k|ngp|n; 09-16-2007 at 10:17 AM.