Thread: Clover vs Kent for Compatibility

Live Long And Overclock

Clover vs Kent for Compatibility

Friend is thinking about buying a cheap Intel HP or Dell to put a Clover or Kent into (most likey 775 xeon).

Wondering if I should tell him about any compatibility issues he might have (are some chipsets/mobos incompatible, will a kents be more compatible than a clover, etc).

I stopped following xeons closely after dempsey hence the above...

Perkam

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    socket 771: ( all dual socket boards) Harpertown,clovers,woodcrests,dempseys

socket 775: (all single socket boards) conroe,kentsfields,penryn(wolfdale and Yorkfield)
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Live Long And Overclock

MM's Efficiency today: 3 mins

Seriously, I need to see your desktop setup lol, do you have 3 screens with 4 windows open per screen and 3 second auto-refresh lol.

So as I understand it, even 945 and 865 boards will support kents and clovers ??

Perkam

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post

MM's Efficiency today: 3 mins

Seriously, I need to see your desktop setup lol, do you have 3 screens with 4 windows open per screen and 3 second auto-refresh lol.

So as I understand it, even 945 and 865 boards will support kents and clovers ??

Perkam
    ok, listen..clovers = xeons=dual socket boards ONLY!
    There is a x3xx series called xeons that is for single socket boards but that just marketing and better binned Kentsfields.
    As to 945 and 865 I can't say, I'm a dual socket guy, BUT I don't think the 865's support quadcores..Thats think not know..

PS: Just one 21" CRT..
    Old school here..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Member
    865 can run a core 2 based cpu but the only one that does support core 2 is from asus and a matx board. secondly as already pointed out you talking about 2 different sockets. tell you friend not to wast his time with any 865/945 based mobo for a quad. have him pickup a Gigabyte P35-DS3 or DS3R if he needs raid and grab the X3120, then teach him to oc it !.

pfft 21in crt, im on my 42in dlp :P
    Intel Pentium G3258 | ASRock Z97M OC Formula | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600 | Galaxy GTX660 GC | Samsung PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 250GB FDE |

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Comensing Shock Therapy!"

HeatWare

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilsizer View Post
    865 can run a core 2 based cpu but the only one that does support core 2 is from asus and a matx board. secondly as already pointed out you talking about 2 different sockets. tell you friend not to wast his time with any 865/945 based mobo for a quad. have him pickup a Gigabyte P35-DS3 or DS3R if he needs raid and grab the X3120, then teach him to oc it !.

pfft 21in crt, im on my 42in dlp :P
    But my 21" CRT is sitting beside 2-8 core clovertown machines that each run at over 3000mhz..
    Yea, they are stacked to save space..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50512MHz .jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	64332  

Live Long And Overclock
    Well, looks like he didn't like the fact that there are no quad core 1333fsb xeons on lga775. He asked me whether clockspeed matters more or the no. of cores matters for virtualisation and some mild exchange hosting.

Power efficiency and heat are a big issue for him too, it will be on 24/7 and have its own seperate internet connection.

I had already advised him against the quad core on a cheap dell or hp psu and told him to go E6750 or E6550 for hosting and virt.

lmk if that was a good recommendation.

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 09-13-2007 at 08:11 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Well, looks like he didn't like the fact that there are no quad core 1333fsb xeons on lga775. He asked me whether clockspeed matters more or the no. of cores matters for virtualisation and some mild exchange hosting.

Power efficiency and heat are a big issue for him too, it will be on 24/7 and have its own seperate internet connection.

I had already advised him against the quad core on a cheap dell or hp psu and told him to go E6750 or E6550 for hosting and virt.

Perkam
    Build him a machine..Q6600, P35 chipset board,4 gig of good memory,good quality PSU an a full tower.
    Just about every Q6600 will clock well over 3200, at 3000 they are VERY powerful.
    There's $1100.00 USD
    If the border wasn't between us and Canadian customs being what it is I'd offer to do a machine for him.

Xtreme Member

Perkam
    Er.. QX6850 :X if he's willing to pay for the price... USD$1100-$1200 I'm not sure any price change...
    Main rig: Asus P5K Vanilla 0603 | Intel Core2Quad L727A Q6600@3.5ghz FSB500x7@1.375V w Thermaltake Bigwater 745 | G.Skill GBHZ 6400DDR2 1GB*2 500mhz 4-4-4-9@2.4V w OCZ XTC Cooler | XFX 7900GT@560mhz/1.8ghz DDR3 256MB w Zalman VF900-Cu LED | WD Raptor 150GB Sata + Seagate 320GB Sata2 | Pioneer DVRA11 + Samsung SH-S182D | Coolermaster Centurion 5 | Coolermaster Real 450W | Dell 1707FP
    Inputs: Saitek Eclipse II Illuminated Keyboard | Razer Deathadder
    Backup: HP TX1005au Tablet Pc | AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56(1.8GHz/1MB) | Kingston DDR2 1GB*2 5-5-5-12 | Geforce GO 6150 334MB | HDD Sata 120GB | LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer | 12.1" WXGA BrightView w/Integrated Touch-screen | OS:Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Live Long And Overclock
    Ok well we can close the thread.

The guy just bought this despite my recommendations:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gatew...oductDetail.do

I've already told him I'm not helping him anymore as he could've gotten a nice 4gb system for that much but he's actually pumped his server rig will say "FX" next to it X(

Perkam
    Last edited by perkam; 09-13-2007 at 09:04 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Ok well we can close the thread.

The guy just bought this despite my recommendations:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gatew...oductDetail.do

I've already told him I'm not help him anymore as he could've gotten a nice 4gb system for that much but he's actually pumped his server rig will say "FX" next to it X(

Perkam
    People will never learn. The put all the right "buzz" words in those adds so it sounds like your getting a great machine, but the ram is usually second rate, as is the motherboard, and PSU,etc,ect..so 6 months later they are unhappy..
    Wish I had a buck for every time I've seen this.
    Close it!

Live Long And Overclock
    It's mind blowing.

Worst part is, he accuses me of trying to "mickey mouse" his pc, which is a term the computer guy at his local computer shop used for people opening up the case and changing parts, even after I told him changing the processor is **** easy. That was the most insulting part.

XSDCMF
    $284 -CPU
    $80 (40 x 2) for DVD burners
    $200 (100x2, for 2 500GB drives )
    $70 2 GB DDR2-800
    $125 mobo
    $140 the VC
    $80 PSU
    $80 case

= $1059

dayem! he paid how much?
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] serlv View Post
    $284 -CPU
    $80 (40 x 2) for DVD burners
    $200 (100x2, for 2 500GB drives )
    $70 2 GB DDR2-800
    $125 mobo
    $140 the VC
    $80 PSU
    $80 case

= $1059

dayem! he paid how much?
    Enough that I could have built him better and paid for most of a quad core cruncher for me..
    Night guys..sleep time..
    Perkam: He got what he deserved after those comments to you..

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, he just bent over for them didn't he? He paid nearly 2 times what that setup is worth

EDIT: Look at all the retards posting what a great value that thing is They would probably start to cry if someone showed them newegg and compiled a similar system, and saw how bad they just got screwed......
    Last edited by CraptacularOne; 09-14-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI