Thread: Bad batch of G.Skill F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ?

Bad batch of G.Skill F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ?

I own a matched pair of 1GB DIMMs, G.Skill part# F2-8000PHU2-2GBHZ. Not long ago it went bad and I got an RMA to replace it. Now, after several weeks of running fine, I'm getting memory failures again.

I'm trying to figure out what could be going wrong. Has anyone heard of any bad batches from G.Skill?

I am not overclocking this memory... it's rated for 1000Mhz and I'm only running it at 850MHz (425MHz FSB). The timings I'm using are the ones supplied to me by G.Skill (4-4-4-5-4-42-7-11-8-13-AUTO). And the memory is listed as wanting 2.2-2.3 volts... I have my motherboard set to use 2.25V for the memory, which the MB utility shows as supplying 2.20V after droop it seems.

I can't imagine my motherboard is frying RAM... anyone seen that before? It's an Asus P5B Deluxe.

Any suggestions?

Xtreme Member

Cool

I dont have any solution to your problem, but I know that G.Skill is really good in the RMA dept. Get them exchanged pronto.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes, they are (they handled my first RMA of this memory just great). Which is why I didn't want to abuse their kindness if there could be something else going on and it really isn't the memory's fault.

Looking back at the recent reviews at NewEgg, I now see that this might be a bad G.Skill product. Some choice comments:

Cons: Does not Run at DDR2 1000. Does not Run stable at advertised timings. Runs great at DDR2 800 5 5 5 15--but I paid nearly $400 for this back when the MFRs were ripping everyone off with inflated pricing. If I had wanted DDR2 800 5 5 5 15 I could have gotten it cheaper and at a lower voltage. Fastest I have gotten this RAM to run on any system is about 980. A total and unabashed rebadging of DDR2 800 IMO as CPU-ID shows the real SPD data and product name: and it is F2-6400PHU1-1GBHZ 5.0 5 5 15 18. A real rip off. I get better speed out of the much cheaper G Skill Hz DDR2 800 overclocking it (1171)

Other Thoughts: I have many many sticks of G Skill and think they produce great inexpensive sticks of RAM--but they got greedy like everyone elese and rebadged this DDR2 800 as DDR2 1000 and listed the VOltage as 2.4 so it would run the ridiculous claimed timings of 4 4 4 5... The sticker on the package and the RAM says F2-80000PHU2-2GBHZ...but it isn't. It's a real shame since G Skill is such a great RAM mfr...
    Cons: ...that apparently cooks itself over time.

Other Thoughts: Ran these underclocked at DDR800 (motherboard limited) but at the tight timings and 2.25v 24/7 running Rosetta@Home. Like others here 1 stick slowly baked itself with increasing amounts of memory errors after about 3 months. I can only guess that 2.2-2.3v is too hot for these DIMMs under continuous loaded use.
    Cons: I'm now preparing to do my third RMA. This RAM CANNOT run at it's rated speed 24 hours a day. For a limited use gaming machine, it's probably fine.
    Cons: Doesn't run at 4-4-4-5 as advertised, not even at 2.4 volts.

Other Thoughts: It would be nice to purchase a product and actually have it work correctly at the rated specs, but this memory doesn't. It fails the orthos memory stress test in less than two hours. What a shame. I won't be purchasing from G.Skill again...
    Pros: was great while it ran "3weeks"

Cons: um

Other Thoughts: well right after i posted the comment below my luck ran out! ram died.never past at 1000mhz 2.3v orthos stable...but when linked and synked at 760mhz 2.3v ran orthos stable memtest stable 3weeks.then just clicked on outlook and all hell broke loose blue dots on screen to a bsod with 680i reseting the bios...couldnt get the system stable till i popped in my 800mhz sticks... been stable ever since.
    Pros: NONE!

Cons: 1 Stick is dead again! Third RMA. No problems with OxZ in same rig!
    Cons: RMA'd twice already
    Pros: Given the specs, this memory is very affordable. Which is the primary reason why I bought this memory. The downside is that you get what you pay for... read below.

Cons: I'm running this memory on the asus P5N32-E (680i chipset) and the memory booted up fine the first time before changing to advertised speed and timing (1000MHz 4-4-4-5). After going to the BIOS and changing to the advertised specs the system tend to crash no more than 5 minutes after bootup. The memory also failed to complete super PI with 4M. This memory only runs stable when down clocked to 800MHz (haven't tested the gap between 800 to 800 to 1000MHz). G.Skill refused to refund and this is where newegg comes through for their customers...
    From http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231077

I'm willing to try one more RMA but if I get any more problems, I really want different memory. Not sure what my recourse is. Would be nice to have G.Skill's opinion on this. I know they monitor (and post in) this forum.

G.Skill USA Tech
    really don't know what is the problem with Micron. they just keep saying good bye to us
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Check out our items on NewEgg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by G.S Technician View Post
    really don't know what is the problem with Micron. they just keep saying good bye to us
    haha not only G.skill but also other brands a friends cellshock Pc6400 gmh just died on him he was running at 2.2V 24/7 stock speeds

I think all micrions die fastly compared to cheap psc and promos

"WW3 will be fought with nukes, WW4 will be fought with rocks!":

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just had a stick die on a 2 Gb set of HZ that was one month old.

Can i rant a little, please?! =))
    Since i don't want to bump my old 2006 thread, and this is really close to model of mine, i have question...
    did F2-8500PHU1/F2-8500PHU2 got discontinued?! Can't find them anywhere, ...so looking at my newegg invoice, why did i spend $499.99 on sticks that got limited by either the mobo or P965chipset in general and it seems like i'm not the only one at NewEgg who ordered those and didn't get the speed they were promised.
    i do appropriate the quickness of response, having a representative on forums is very very helpful. So don't take the reply wrong way, i do enjoy the product till this day, i just wish it worked as advertised!!
    Will i try another G.Skill product in the near future?! Absolutely yes, because like i said having a representative on forums is very very helpful and the quality of the product is still high end!!
    Thanks for reading, i apologies for ranting =]
    Gigabyte P965 DS3 [F12 Bios]
    Conroe E6700 + ZALMAN CNPS9500AT
    2GB DDR2-1066 G.Skill F2-8500PHU2-2GBHZ 4-4-4-5
    ATi X1900XTX[VF900-Cu] + ViewSonic-VP171b
    150Raptor + 320WD + 250WD
    Creative X-Fi + foobar + beyerdynamic DT700[80 ohms]
    MS Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 + Logitech G5 + Logitech G25

Quote Originally Posted by G.S Technician View Post
    While I'm glad to have finally caught the ear of someone at G.Skill I'm not clear on what you are saying in this response. Are you saying there's an ongoing issue with G.Skill memory that uses Micron chips? Are my replacement DIMMs going to have Micron chips as well? If it's pretty much a guarantee that Micron-based G.Skill memory is going to eventually fail, what do I have to do to get an equivalent-or-better replacement that doesn't use Micron chips?

G.Skill USA Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick View Post
    While I'm glad to have finally caught the ear of someone at G.Skill I'm not clear on what you are saying in this response. Are you saying there's an ongoing issue with G.Skill memory that uses Micron chips? Are my replacement DIMMs going to have Micron chips as well? If it's pretty much a guarantee that Micron-based G.Skill memory is going to eventually fail, what do I have to do to get an equivalent-or-better replacement that doesn't use Micron chips?
    how about any memory using Micron IC has issue.....
    back to DDR, MT 5D-B very good overclock..... but rma like crazy
    i have feeling that same history is happening now.

promos doesn't overclock high as Micron, but they are not failing that fast

my 2 cents

Ok, so I understand that the problem revolves around Micron. However, I am not a Micron customer... I'm a G.Skill customer. The issue with Micron is between G.Skill and Micron, not myself.

I just want 2GB of memory that will run at 4-4-4-5 1GHz, since that's what I paid for. How well it overclocks is of no concern to me... I'm not even running it at 1GHz (currently 850MHz).

What I'm hearing is that there's a good chance that I'm going to have failures no matter how many RMAs of this part# I do. What I want to know is: after how many RMAs of this product will G.Skill be willing to give me something different, of equal-or-better value, that will not fail? As it is, I'm still waiting for my 2nd RMA # back from G.Skill. The whole "run fine for a few weeks, get failures, run memtest, prove it's the RAM, ask G.Skill for RMA#, wait a few days, RMA memory, wait 1-2 weeks of not being able to use the computer, install replacement memory, repeat" will get old after a while.

G.Skill USA Tech
    Ok, so I understand that the problem revolves around Micron. However, I am not a Micron customer... I'm a G.Skill customer. The issue with Micron is between G.Skill and Micron, not myself.

I just want 2GB of memory that will run at 4-4-4-5 1GHz, since that's what I paid for. How well it overclocks is of no concern to me... I'm not even running it at 1GHz (currently 850MHz).

What I'm hearing is that there's a good chance that I'm going to have failures no matter how many RMAs of this part# I do. What I want to know is: after how many RMAs of this product will G.Skill be willing to give me something different, of equal-or-better value, that will not fail? As it is, I'm still waiting for my 2nd RMA # back from G.Skill. The whole "run fine for a few weeks, get failures, run memtest, prove it's the RAM, ask G.Skill for RMA#, wait a few days, RMA memory, wait 1-2 weeks of not being able to use the computer, install replacement memory, repeat" will get old after a while.
    unless you want to down for promos?

DDR2 d9 is high end (overclocking & compatible) ic, we can't fine anything to replace micron (overclock).

1066 promos? can't pass QC

if you want to have something equal and better than micron, sorry but there is no such thing....

it just sad that good overclocking thing also has problem later
    Feel free to contact ustech@gskillusa.com or use our G.Skill Q&A Sub-Forum, if having any questions about G.Skill products

Well what are all the other manufacturers using? Other companies seem to have no problem making 1GH and 1066 memory. Why is it that only G.Skill seems to have issues?

G.Skill USA Tech
    Well what are all the other manufacturers using? Other companies seem to have no problem making 1GH and 1066 memory. Why is it that only G.Skill seems to have issues?
    we can sell it, but that is not good as you can see a lot of people complain online with other companies who use 1066 and promos ic