Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TR Ultra 120 eXtreme SoboL mod

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilDoc View Post
    10C is a bit much just to have the bases a little off after lapping or applying TIM incorrectly. None of the mods would guarantee that. Just trying to help, not insult your mod.
    PhilDoc Ok, I will try to remove from socket cpu's holding thing and remove surrounding mobo HS to ensure that mounting is even. I will solve this today or I won't go to sleep
    i3770K@ 4.4 - 1.25v - TR120 Black+ Scythe GT AP-14
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4096 DDR3 1866Mhz
    Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe
    PowerColor HD R290 moded to X
    Samsung SSD 256GB 840 Pro
    Samsung HDD 7200RPM 2TB (2x1TB) SA(N)TA
    Corsair HX 650W
    Antec P182 +3x Scythe -800-1200RPM
    Asus 27" VN279QLB
    Logitech G100S, CM Storm Quick Fire TK
    Win 8.1

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by it_burns_when_i_pee View Post
    so is the heatsink hot? if its 60 degrees or more you wont be able to hold your hand on it for long
    I'm at work atm and can't check it, but I remember it was never that hot. Please keep in mind that I have P182 case with open side. Mounted scyth fan on TR and two pull(from top)& push(from back) fans in case.
    Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe
    Corsair HX 650W
    Asus 27" VN279QLB
    Win 8.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sobol View Post
    I'm at work atm and can't check it, but I remember it was never that hot. Please keep in mind that I have P182 case with open side. Mounted scyth fan on TR and two pull(from top)& push(from back) fans in case.
    the fact you have several fans & rubbish temps suggests a contact issue.

if the processor is hitting those kind of temps and the contact was good, the heatsink will be of similiar temperature too.

since its upright in that case it could be a result of the heatsink sagging and opening a gap? could be lots of tiny air pockets / poor contact / concave or convex / too much or too little paste.

just like the radiator in your car, the heatsink removes heat from the cpu and is cooled by the way of a large surface area thats heated. if the heatsink is cool to touch then its not extracting heat is it?

"Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity"

=======
    Q6600 @ 3.6 / TRUE (both lapped)
    P5Q Deluxe
    4Gb Corsair DominatRIX 1066Mhz
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    2 x 320gb WD3200AAKS RAID-0
    Thermaltake Toughpower 850
    X-Fi Fatality / SR-71 Amp > Sennheiser HD650's & Logitech Z-5500
    HP W2207 TFT

and me??? Powered by absolut, kebabs, tramadol & a new liver

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sobol View Post
    PhilDoc Ok, I will try to remove from socket cpu's holding thing and remove surrounding mobo HS to ensure that mounting is even. I will solve this today or I won't go to sleep
    If someone else hasn't already told you then make sure your lap job is even. Use a razorblade or anything you know is level. Also try to check if the lap job was angled. I've done that before, had more pressure I one side then the other, very easy to do. About all I can think of atm. Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Xtreme Addict
    You know what...@ 60C in core temp and a 1200RPM fan on the TRUE, mine does not feel hot...maybe warm.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    all i did was put one of those rubber grommets you put for the harddisk screws in the heatsink's mounting hole. that had the same effect and the twisting went down to just 1-2 degs. overall cost spent is none to mod is zero.
    Everyday is a NiceDay

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i may be holding off for the ulta 120 extreme. there is a 2nd hand pc on ebay with a really awesome water cooling setup. i'll get it at the right price and do some swapping and sell it back on.

=======
    P5Q Deluxe
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    HP W2207 TFT

Xtreme Member
    Well the CPU is convex and TR's HS ain't flat either after my lapping job.
    When I apply row of TIM on CPU's HS and then stick it to the bottom of TR's HS, do 180 degree
    turn left and then 360 degree turn right, unstick the CPU from TR I can see that compound isn't spread up evenly.

After doing cpu socket mod(removed cpu shutter or whatever it is called), applying more TIM in some
    parts of cpu i'm kinda on the same temperatures I was before lapping. Happy for now but unsatisfied.

My next move is to CPU/TR lapping with sanding machine (I'm going to buy it) and then polish it with hand drill polishing kit.
    Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe
    Corsair HX 650W
    Asus 27" VN279QLB
    Win 8.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    sanding machine? dont like the sound of that. i wouldnt fancy the risk, could be an expensive mistake

your best bet is a really flat surface you can lay the sandpaper on. smooth marble imitation kitchen worktop works a treat.

i put a few sprinkles of water on the surface, put the sandpaper ontop, sprinkles of water on the sandpaper and then start working on the heatsink. holiding it centre as possible for the circular motions, rotating angle often and cleaning every minute or so with acetone

if you were local i'd say to pop round and would do it for you, for the price of a kebab of course (extra large one)

=======
    P5Q Deluxe
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    HP W2207 TFT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by it_burns_when_i_pee View Post
    sanding machine? dont like the sound of that. i wouldnt fancy the risk, could be an expensive mistake

your best bet is a really flat surface you can lay the sandpaper on. smooth marble imitation kitchen worktop works a treat.

i put a few sprinkles of water on the surface, put the sandpaper ontop, sprinkles of water on the sandpaper and then start working on the heatsink. holiding it centre as possible for the circular motions, rotating angle often and cleaning every minute or so with acetone

if you were local i'd say to pop round and would do it for you, for the price of a kebab of course (extra large one)
    Huh, I saw one sanding machine in B&Q for 30 quid.

I done my lapping job on perfectly flat piece of glass. The sanding paper was hold by sticky tape. Then few drops of water on sanding paper, I was changing holding but it was mostly in one direction. Second lapping on same HS i've done with circular moves.

Well come in if you around, instead of junk food my gf will cook you some delicious meal
    Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe
    Corsair HX 650W
    Asus 27" VN279QLB
    Win 8.1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no i mean with the brute force of the sanding machine, one slip and you could be looking at a new cpu, that would be costly

its like dremeling a fan guard off a case, no matter how careful you are, with that thing spinning the laws of gravity have it their way now and then.

quick geographical lesson, london is approx 240 miles from me! south wales - the pokey outy bit on the map? just above cornwall? if you were local to me then the offer would be there. and to note the kebab house is only 100 yards from me, tis bad for my wallet!!

=======
    P5Q Deluxe
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    HP W2207 TFT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12