Thread: My Evap Design

Xtreme Enthusiast

My Evap Design

I was just wondering what yall think of my evap design, im going to mill it using my cnc machine (50mm dia.) Please Critique This is not the final drawing, there will be revisions, this is just the basic layout.

Last edited by p8ntslinger676; 09-07-2007 at 07:29 AM.
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]

Xtreme Cruncher
    good working basic design, alot like elevens that are know to be great performers but having the suction exit protrude like that wouldn't work out very well because it would be harder to insulate well, and cost a bit more to machine. just make the last channel wide enough to accommidate the 3/8in suction line.
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Xtreme Member
    Pretty much the same evap I did in Ricky's thread. I was told it would be really hard to machine.
    PC: Intel E8400
    MB: Asus P5k
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600w
    GPU: XFX XXX 8800GT
    Monitor: Samsung Pebble 17"
    Cooling: XSPC Water cooling custom
    HDD: 160GB Seagate
    RAM: OCZ PC8000 Platinum XTC

Xtreme Cruncher
    not really, if you make wall thickness about 1.5mm that is plent strong enough. I am not sure how many channels you could fit, but that doesn't look impossible. I am not a machinist tho he may have to remove a wall or 2 and make the channel width a bit wider.
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

That is not hard to machine at all with cnc milling machine. I would try with 2-flute 3mm endmill, 10000rpm, slow feed and Z -0.5 ... -0.8mm / pass and LOTS of coolant. It will take some time but at least you wont break tools

Copper is pretty though to machine because it is so 'sticky'

Xtreme Addict
    I'm speculating, what would the benefit be if the cold-head was machined so as each concentric channel would progressively get smaller or larger as it goes out from the center entry point, ultimately giving a more uniform cooling capacity profile.

I wonder this on the basis that the liquid in the center would begin to change phase to its vapor state as it reaches the outer edges of the cold-head, thus less liquid cooling capacity on the larger outer rings.

just a thought...
    nice design though!!!

[edit]
    Although now that I'm thinking about it, changing the size of the channels throughout the flow would cause a pressure differential. If the outer rings were smaller then the liquid refrigerant would boil at a “slightly” higher temperature causing a gradient from the center out. However it would help to re-condense “some” of the vapor back into liquid which may give better load handling properties.
    Last edited by Exahertz; 09-07-2007 at 09:15 AM.
    Current System Build
    Designaton:" Rad Hat "
      GPU: BFG 8800GTX | BFG 8600GT (Quad Monitor Setup)
    • Hard Drives:
      RAID: 2x 74GB Raptors on RAID 0 for OS Drives
    • Case and Power Supply:
      Case: Antec Case | PS: OCZ ProXstreame 1000W
    • Water Cooling:
      Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B | Rad: Dual Swiftech MCR320's | Fans: 6x Yate Loon D12SH-12's (W/ Variable RPM Rheostat) @ 88CFM Max Each - 528CFM Total!!!
    • (Water Blocks and Fittings):
      CPU: D-Tek Fusion Block | GPU: Danger Den Full Coverage 8800 Block | Mobo: EK's Mosfet, NorthBridge and SouthBridge Blocks
      Res: Swiftech Micro | Tee's: 4x MartinM's High Flow Copper Tee's | Elbow's: None | Y's: None
    Flow Order: >> Rad's 1 & 2 in parallel > Res > Pump > CPU > GPU > SB > NB > Mosfet 1 > Mosfet 2 >>
    Temperatures: CPU: 57°C Max, Running Prime95 | GPU: 58.3°C Max, Running 3Dmark | NorthBridge: Untested!
    Last Updated 11/11/09

Xtreme Enthusiast
    First of all, im going to be milling this on MY cnc mill so it wont cost me anything and second, i have already done a lot of milling so i dont need any help with that, im just asking about the basic design nothing more
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]