Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Tek Fuzion GFX Vs. Swiftech MCW-60 Showdown - 8800GTX

Hybrid View

Xtreme X.I.P.

D-Tek Fuzion GFX Vs. Swiftech MCW-60 Showdown - 8800GTX

Ok, so this is my first complete comparison of two blocks, so if you see something I should change in my process, let me know.

INTENT
    Compare the following two blocks for both pressure drop and thermal performance on an Evga 8800gtx. BTW I paid for both of these blocks out of my own pocket, niether company supplied me with a full block.

Swiftech MCW60 with G80 adapter kit - $47 at Petra's

D-Tek Fuzion GFX - $50 at Petra's

INITIAL IMPRESSION

The swiftech MCW-60 is a solid performer and sort of leaves you with the impression you purchased a good solid block at a reasonable price point. It does come with plenty of mounting hardware, however it does not come with a backplate and it also does not come with metal barbs. I found the long plastic barbs it comes with make tubing removal difficult and I ended up turning the barbs trying to remove tubing. But overall, the base is nice and sturdy and the pins are solid and big enough for easy cleaning with a brush. The water block design is fairly simple in that water comes in one side (Not directly centered) and crosses the block through the diamond pin matrix to the outlet.

The D-tek fuzion GFX is a nicer looking block and more complex. The metal barbs that come with the block are the good high flow type and the o-ring is recessed into the barbs themselves...very nice. The rest of the block consists of three parts....the copper base with round pins, the middle center nozzle block, and the top acrylic top. This redirects the water from the side inlet to more of a direct jet so the intake water impacts the center base and runs out toward the perimeter through the pins. This ensures the coldest water gets good direct coverage in the center of the base and is very similar to the CPU block water flow. The only construction element to watch is the smaller copper pins that could be damaged by cleaning if you're not very careful.

Here is a closeup of the bases side by side, both of these blocks have been used previously:

And here is the bottom of both blocks, the GFX base that is stepped down and in contact is slightly larger than the MCW-60.
    GFX = 30 x 30mm
    MCW-60 = 27 x 27mm

The G80 GPU IHS is much larger than both of these, but I believe they cover the actual die under the IHS sufficiently, but I do like the fact that the GFX base is larger.

And this is what each block looks like installed on my card. In my setup I have some old Thermalright HR-03 plus memory sinks I've artic adhesived on there some time ago(Yes I've had many many coolers on this 88..). I do have to say the GFX is very nice looking and takes first in the coolness category..
    Note: I used the same hardware and backplate to mount both blocks.

PRESSURE DROP TESTING & FLOW RATE

I already knew the GFX was a fairly restrictive block, and I had a previous curve I ran on the MCW-60. But I figured I run a curve on the GFX and compare it to the published curve. I did go ahead as I've been doing recently and subtracted out the pressure drop of my testing equipment. What I found was something close, but slightly less restrictive than the D-Tek published curve, and this is how several blocks compare in flow rate.

The GFX is a very restrictive block, and the MCW-60 is a very free flowing block. This just means if you are running multiple block loops, you need to ensure you have a strong enough pump if going with the GFX. This can typically be done with an pump equal to or stronger than the D5 or DDC series with top, I would only suggest that you should ensure you still maintain at least .9 to 1 GPM.

Here are some quick flow rate examples using each block:

GPU only Loop

-MCW60, D5Vario, 7' Tubing, T-line, MCR320 = 2.42 GPM
    -Fuzion GFX, D5Vario, 7' Tubing, T-line, MCR320 = 1.56 GPM

CPU, NB, GPU loop
    -MCW60, D-Tek Fuzion, MCW-30, D5Vario, 7' Tubing, T-line, MCR320 = 1.67 GPM
    -Fuzion GFX, D-Tek Fuzion, MCW-30, D5Vario, 7' Tubing, T-line, MCR320 = 1.30 GPM

THERMAL TESTING

I'm still waiting for some final cure time on the artic silver 5 I used on the GFX, but I think it's settling down now. For my testing I used ATI tools to read GPU temps. I then used two digital thermometers with temperature probes to read the ambient air temperature into the radiator (MCR320 with Yate Loons), and one to measure the coolant temperature in my T-line. Note the coolant temperature is "AFTER" the blocks, so the actual water temperature entering the blocks would be very slightly lower.

Measuring all three allowed me to gather enough data to get an average delta for "Air to Water", and "Water to Core". With all of these I was then able to adjust for my variation in ambient temperatures to compare them against. This was my collected raw data:

And this is the comparison chart using 21C as the target ambient temperature entering the radiator.

CONCLUSION

In the end I was a bit suprised to see the GFX win in the thermal category, but it did by a couple of degrees under load. The MCW-60 is clearly the pressure drop winner, but in my case I have a GPU only loop so the GFX is the better choice.

In cases where someone has a CPU and GPU (SLI) setup, they would have to weigh out what is more important to them. The reduced flow rate of chosing the GFX blocks would reduce flow rate enough that CPU temps may be higher by as much as .5C depending on the block.

You would just need to decide if .5C higher CPU temps are worth 1-2C lower GPU temps.

PRODUCT SUPPORT
    One other note I would like to make is regarding D-tek and their product support. During my testing process I had inadvertantly broken a copper pin in the GFX by cleaning with a brass brush. At the time I didn't think I was being too forcefull, so I contacted D-tek about the broken pin situation I had. They are sending me out a brand new base free of charge, and were extremely helpful in the entire process. I have to give D-Tek a for product support, it's very refreshing to see that type of support.

BOTTOM LINE FOR MY SYSTEM
    The MCW-60 has had a happy few months in my system and has done a nice job, but the D-Tek Fuzion GFX is doing a better job cooling, so it's taking over the G80 realestate...

Hope this is useful, I havn't done alot of thermal block testing yet, so go easy on me

If I continue to see gains by curing of this AS5, I'll repost a new table and chart later in the week. The MCW-60 was well cured, but the D-Tek only had a few days of cure time. I know for best results I would duplicate this effort over many mounts and remounts, but this was what I have currently.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 09-06-2007 at 09:38 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Very nice martin very informative

I have a mcw60 on my g80.But i ended up putting the gpu in its own loop so i probably been better off the with d-tek gfx
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    Very nice martin very informative

I have a mcw60 on my g80.But i ended up putting the gpu in its own loop so i probably been better off the with d-tek gfx
    Thanks, they are both very good blocks, but since I have both and a GPU only loop, the choice is pretty easy for me.

I'm just happy I'm not loading at 83C anymore like I did with the stock cooler

Xtreme Enthusiast
    damn i love ur reviews
    MY RIG: BLUE DEVIL
    CASE*BLACK SILVERSTONE TJ07-MODIFIED
    MONITER*32-INCH SAMSUNG WIDESCREEN LCD TV
    OS*MICROSOFT XP HOME EDITION SP3
    MB*GIGABYTE P35-DQ6 F9B BIOS
    CPU*INTEL E7200 3.6GHZ 1.3v
    RAM*2GB G.SKILL PK PC8500**DEAD**
    PSU*PC POWER&COOLING BLACK QUAD 750W
    HD*SATA MAXTOR 150GB 8MB CACHE & SATA WD 250 GB 16MB CACHE
    GPU*GIGABYTE HD4670 @ 811/1100
    MY WATERCOOLING SETUP
    CPU*SWIFTECH APOGEE GTZ
    PUMP*SWIFTECH MCP 655
    RAD*SWIFTECH MCR320 W/ 3 SCYTHE ULTRA KAZE MED. SPEED
    RES*T-LINE
    TUBING*DURELENE PVC
    COOLANT*DISTILLED WATER & PT NUKE

WORKLOG-Blue Devil TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    nice review!
    750W Thermaltake Modular PSU
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8
    Core i7 920 @ 20 X 200 1.325V
    CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    768 MB EVGA 8800GTX
    1 X 36GB WD Raptor
    2 X 150GB WD RAPTORS
    1 X SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB
    1 X Maxtor 6L300S0 300GB
    16 X NEC DVD Burner
    7 120mm Yate Loon LED Intake Fan
    4 120MM Yate Loon Exhaust Fan
    28" HANNSPREE Monitor

Watercooling Loop:

1 X PA120.3
    1 X PA120.2
    2 X Laing DDC's w/EK-DDC Dual Turbo Top
    7 X Yate Loon Blue LED Intake Fans
    4 X Yate Loon Blue LED Exhaust Fans
    1 X Swiftech GTZ
    1 X GPU EK Fullcover Waterblock
    1 X XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir 5.25" with Bubble Window

Xtreme Member
    great review man, was waiting for something like this. good job.
    E8400, P5Q-E, Crucial 2x2GB , XFX 8800GTX , Corsair HX620W
    D-TEK Fuzion, MCW60, Thermochill PA120.2, MCP655

Xtreme Member
    Useful for me and very clear review!

Looks like I'll grab that D-Tek block soon!

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome review! Nicely written and presented.

It's interesting that the Fuzion CPU block is a flow monster while their GPU block is just the opposite... yet they both do their jobs very well.

I guess with your ram sinks stuck on like that we won't be seeing a temp comparison of the full cover blocks? That's a shame, I'd like to see how the EK and Stealth compare on temps to these two.

Does anyone know of a GPU block comparison with the EK?

Xtreme Member
    Another quality piece of work; this should be the standard for reviews, great work Martin

Nice job man!

A good review to read!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 @ 3,6
    MB: Asus P5K Deluxe
    RAM: 4*1 GB Cellshock PC8000
    STORAGE: 2x 80 Gb Samsung Raid 0
    VIDEO: Asus 8800 GTX
    POWER SUPPLY: Tagan Easyconn 700W
    CASE: Cooler Master Stacker
    LCD: Samsung 205BW
    COOLING CPU: Tuniq Tower

Xtreme Addict
    Hey martin, great write up. I did a mini user review of both blocks a long time ago when the GFX block came out. My results were almost the same. In my testing, both blocks were almost identical in temps. Neither held more than a solid 1C advantage over the other. However, my testing isn't as strenuous as say you or Nikhsub1's.

Anyhow, it's good to see that my initial results weren't too far off. I love the visual aid and the work done on the pressure drop.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Thanks very much for the work, most helpful info on this block that I've seen

BTW, the MCW60 does come with a backplate, just not for an 8800 though. I'm using the plate with my MCW60 and X1950XT.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Thanks very much for the work, most helpful info on this block that I've seen

BTW, the MCW60 does come with a backplate, just not for an 8800 though. I'm using the plate with my MCW60 and X1950XT.
    Same thing with D-Tek block you can mount it on earlier cards too including that X1950xt!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great review! I really like the pictures of the curves, easy to compare things.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks guys!
    Glad it's helpful

My ramsinks are epoxied on with artic adhesive, so I can only try GPU only blocks on this particular card.

Someone provided this link where canucks did a GFX vx MCW-60 Vs DD block though. I didn't see it until after I finished my testing, but it appears they also had similar results between the two blocks:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...uzion-gfx.html

There was also this madshrimps review I had previously seen on the MCW-60 and DD:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...59&articID=554

I thought I saw an EK comparison somewhere too, but I can't seem to find it now. I thought it was also several degrees higher in temperature.

Anyhow full coverage wasn't an option for me, but I probably would still go with a GPU only block because they perform better and cost less.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Thanks guys!
    Glad it's helpful

My ramsinks are epoxied on with artic adhesive, so I can only try GPU only blocks on this particular card.

Someone provided this link where canucks did a GFX vx MCW-60 Vs DD block though. I didn't see it until after I finished my testing, but it appears they also had similar results between the two blocks:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardw...uzion-gfx.html

There was also this madshrimps review I had previously seen on the MCW-60 and DD:

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...59&articID=554

I thought I saw an EK comparison somewhere too, but I can't seem to find it now. I thought it was also several degrees higher in temperature.

Anyhow full coverage wasn't an option for me, but I probably would still go with a GPU only block because they perform better and cost less.
    I guess you will have to retest with the upcoming MCW60R3 then ;-)
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice VS. read, and very informative too. this changed my mind of what gpu block im buying for my 88
    Media PC:[AMD x2 4800][MSI K9N-SLI][2x1gig Corsair DDR2 800][ATI 3650 AIW][Asus Xonar D2X][500gig Samsung SATA][Crap Antec Case and PSU]

Banned
    Nice work as always Martin. I compared a MCW60 to an EK FC8800 in the thread below awhile back. Maybe this was what you were remembering.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=137935

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great Review
    Intel Core i7 930@ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD4P | 3x2Gb OCZ 1600mhz | Palit GTX280 | 1TB Seagate | Samsung P2350 23'' | Silverstone Decathlon DA750W | Lian-Li PC777B | Logitech Z-5500 | Creative X-Fi| Iphone 4

Hardwarena Overclock Team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great review.

The only issue with Dtek GFX is the flow rate. Using it at the same loop with Fuzion with nozzles should make a major hit on the flow.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Something I've noticed about the FuZion CPU, however is that it's not nearly as flow dependent as most of the other blocks out there. If you check out that Hardware Canucks review, they point out how little the FuZion CPU's performance is affected by putting a FuZion GFX in line with it compared to everything else. The results may surprise you.

Edit: Great review Martin. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it fully supports my results (MCW60 +1C over FuZion GFX), so now we have HWC, you, and me all agreeing on this
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus@ncix View Post
    Something I've noticed about the FuZion CPU, however is that it's not nearly as flow dependent as most of the other blocks out there. If you check out that Hardware Canucks review, they point out how little the FuZion CPU's performance is affected by putting a FuZion GFX in line with it compared to everything else. The results may surprise you.
    Yup, you really have to slow the flow waaay low before any noticable temp differences. (Lots of stuff in that loop)
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Maybe I should have gotten the fuzion gfx instead of my mcw60 so my loop would bleed easier lol
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Interesting.

My loop:

8800 GTX XXX (630/1000 stock) with Fuzion, 18w DDC with OClabs top and a PA 120.1 and Yate Loon fan. Same ambient. But only 3c hotter than a MCR320????

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by weescott View Post
    Interesting.

My loop:

8800 GTX XXX (630/1000 stock) with Fuzion, 18w DDC with OClabs top and a PA 120.1 and Yate Loon fan. Same ambient. But only 3c hotter than a MCR320????
    Yeah I'd believe it, the PAs are good rads and a PA120.2 is about equivalent to an MCR320 with yate loons on it.

I do have a few things differen though, one of them being that I also have an MCW30 in this loop cooling the 680i north bridge. I gained about 1C GPU temps by adding the NB cooler in there. Also that DDC is a stronger pump than the D5 "Basic" (especially if it's a DDC2 or 1) than I used in this test. The Basic model is stuck at setting 4 which is a fair amount weaker than the D5 Vario model.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 09-07-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast