Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Tek Fuzion GFX Vs. Swiftech MCW-60 Showdown - 8800GTX

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by weescott View Post
    It's the DDC 1 plus T euro version, blue impeller that I amd using.

I tested this on a Pk deluxe.

I'm testing SLI GTX XXX's on a PA120.1. In theory it shouldn't work. But so far it seems to cope just fine. But, I'll start my own thread for that one.

On Topic again. I doubt that the heat dump difference from the pump you and I are using would have any effect on the temperatures of the GPU, surely the power (head pressure etc) would be negligable given that the pumps are so similar? Would usng a stronger pump perhaps be more benificial to one block over the other? That's maybe another test though. :p
    One thing I'm going to do differently in my next CPU block test is use the same brand thermal probe for everything. In this test I used two different models and I'm seeing that there is some difference. My comparitive results are still good, but I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the air to water temperature, I think my deltas are actually too low for what's shown here. In the end we'd probably have a hard time comparing since we're using different thermometers, but as long as you're consistent between tests of a comparison the relative accuracy is still good.

And as far as radiator output...the higher the water/air delta the more heat the radiator can kick out. I heard on OCN the other day that HWlabs told some folks a 480GTX can consume 2200 watts, yet HWlabs conveniently left out what water delta that was. An MCR120 can to....might be a 50C delta, but I bet it can!...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus@ncix View Post
    Something I've noticed about the FuZion CPU, however is that it's not nearly as flow dependent as most of the other blocks out there. If you check out that Hardware Canucks review, they point out how little the FuZion CPU's performance is affected by putting a FuZion GFX in line with it compared to everything else. The results may surprise you.
    Yup, you really have to slow the flow waaay low before any noticable temp differences. (Lots of stuff in that loop)
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

nice job! thx

Xtreme Addict
    Awesome Job man

was really helpful.
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

Xtreme Cruncher
    this was a very nice read... ty
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Guru
    Nice reading...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Xtreme Guru
    btw,
    Anyone tried upgrading the MCW60 with a base plate from an Apogee GT(X)?

I did.
    Pins on the GT(X) base plate are some 1.5mm shorter so I figured this would be a problem as the empty space between the pins and the top would screw up the flow making less water going through the pin matrix. So I glued a thin (~1.5mm) rubber slab between the inlet and outlet. It should keep the water flowing through the pins.
    And it seems MCW60 does benefit from the upgrade...

I can tell that atleast idle will no change much, if at all, but what's interesting is that according to Rivatuner it seems my stock 8800GTS stays at a comfy 38&#186;C - be it idle or load. Before the swap load bumped temps to 40&#186;C, now it's just 38&#186;C. Load generated with rthdribl.

Gonna have to try putting some real load other than the windowed rthdribl on the GPU and see if I get load temps atleast one degree higher than idle.
    Last edited by largon; 09-10-2007 at 02:25 PM.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Very nice review!

Xtreme Member
    nice read.
    DFI LT X38 qx6850 @ 3.6g TJ-07BW
    PA120.3/mcp655/GTX/mcw30+Tline+GSkill 4g
    AHFDx2, 1T Samsung F1x2, Evga 8800gtx, W0132RU
    Dell e1705 t7400 2g 200gHD 7900gs
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=45541

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Gonna have to try putting some real load other than the windowed rthdribl on the GPU and see if I get load temps atleast one degree higher than idle.
    yEAH it's really frustrating when the cooler is so good that the load temps don't move from idle temps LOL

you are also defying physics laws there but that's another story altogether
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    btw,

I did.
    Pins on the GT(X) base plate are some 1.5mm shorter so I figured this would be a problem as the empty space between the pins and the top would screw up the flow making less water going through the pin matrix. So I glued a thin (~1.5mm) rubber slab between the inlet and outlet. It should keep the water flowing through the pins.

I can tell that atleast idle will no change much, if at all, but what's interesting is that according to Rivatuner it seems my stock 8800GTS stays at a comfy 38ºC - be it idle or load. Before the swap load bumped temps to 40ºC, now it's just 38ºC. Load generated with rthdribl.

I've heard the question and it would make sense to me the Apogee base would do a bit better because of the finer pins.

But yeah, it's hard to measure. Short of multiple measurements logging ambient, water, and core temp...it's hard to know what you're getting.

I'm working on some CPU waterblock testing now, and man it's alot of work.

Xtreme Cruncher
    btw,

I did.

I can tell that atleast idle will no change much, if at all, but what's interesting is that according to Rivatuner it seems my stock 8800GTS stays at a comfy 38ºC - be it idle or load. Before the swap load bumped temps to 40ºC, now it's just 38ºC. Load generated with rthdribl.

Philly_Boy had been using a GT bottom on his MCW60 for some time now. I think it's been about 2or 3 months since he decided to try it. He got better temps, and I don't think that he bothered to put anything else in the top like the rubber that you did.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Xtreme Guru
    I'll stop hijacking this thread and start another when I have some numbers with greater heatloads.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Smile Great review and clear !

Hey Martinm,
    Congrats on getting the data out. I did testing almost identical to your setup (not yet published) and had almost the same results. Glad to see there are some like minded souls out there who enjoy testing.

Hats off to you,
    Jay

I wonder if any comparison test on how 2 gpu block affects the cpu temp if gpu block mcw30 and fuzion are on the same loop?
    CPU- i5 2500k 4.6g 1.25v
    Mobo- MIVE
    Ram- samsung ddr3 1600 4 x 4G
    VGA- EVGA 690 hydro vapour
    PSU- Corsair HX850W

Xtreme Recruit
    Interesting review Martin... I have a GFX myself and was planning to mod it before installation - your review has got me thinking twice now.

Has anyone modded a FuZion GFX, and noticed any improvement in flow?
    Intel X6800 | Abit IP35 Pro | 2GB Crucial 10th Anniversary
    Seagate 80+250+320GB 7200.10 | LiteOn LH-20A1P DVDRW
    OCZ 8800GTX | ViewSonic VX2025wm 20.1" LCD
    STACKER STC-T01 | OCZ GXS850 | APC SU750VA
    Cooling: D-Tek FuZion (cpu&gpu) + MCP655 + PA120.3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Would a single Swiftech MCP655 pump have enough push to run a D-Tek FuZion, MCW30 and a single D-Tek FuZion-GFX?

BTW nice work and a good read!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
    Would a single Swiftech MCP655 pump have enough push to run a D-Tek FuZion, MCW30 and a single D-Tek FuZion-GFX?

I won't give you the best performance, according to the flow calculator you will get 1.24GPM, at the good side of the table, not great.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post

I would say that it would be fine, since neither of the Fuzion blocks are very flow dependent.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    Hey Martinm,
    Congrats on getting the data out. I did testing almost identical to your setup (not yet published) and had almost the same results. Glad to see there are some like minded souls out there who enjoy testing.

Hats off to you,
    Jay
    Thanks, I was pleasantly suprised on the results and now I'll have to experiment with some mods.

Doing some CPU block testing right now..

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by denden View Post
    I wonder if any comparison test on how 2 gpu block affects the cpu temp if gpu block mcw30 and fuzion are on the same loop?

The biggest affect on CPU temp with GPU combo loops will be the added heat into the loop. The difference due to flow rate is minimal in comparison.

An example might be your flow rate was reduced from 1.5 to 1.0 gpm. If you were using the CPU fuzion, here is the published thermal performance difference:

So 1.5gpm to 1.0 GPM The C/W difference is .003 @ 100 watts is .3C

Even if you dropped down from 1.5 to .8 GPM the C/W difference is .006 or .6C.

It's pretty hard to get below .8 GPM, so this is a good example to show you how some blocks do very well even at low flow rates like the Fuzion.

This doesn't account for some loss you get in your radiator, but as long as you have plenty of capacity there, that won't amount to a whole bunch either.

So combining GPU and CPU might raise your CPU temps by several degrees, but most of that is going to be due to the added heat which you'll get regardless of which block you choose.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] DragonOrta View Post
    I would say that it would be fine, since neither of the Fuzion blocks are very flow dependent.

Yeah, I agree, you'd have well over 1 GPM. Depending on the rad/tubing it could be around 1.3GPM which is plenty. It's pretty hard to bog down a DDC or MCP655 to the point where the Fuzion CPU block starts loosing much efficiency.

While more flow rate is always desireable, the difference between 1.0 GPM and higher is extremely small, so taking a hit on flow rate for better thermal capabilities is a worthwhile tradeoff.

Even radiator performance doesn't drop off much clear down to .5 GPM.
    The PA120.3 for example may loose 5% from 1.5 down to 1.0, but it jumps to almost a 20% loss from 1.0 to .5 GPM.

So, just make sure you have plenty of radiator capacity and lower flow rates will function just fine.

thks so much I learnt a lot from your MartinsWaterCoolingFlowRateEstimator, great man!

Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    The biggest affect on CPU temp with GPU combo loops will be the added heat into the loop. The difference due to flow rate is minimal in comparison.

An example might be your flow rate was reduced from 1.5 to 1.0 gpm. If you were using the CPU fuzion, here is the published thermal performance difference:

So 1.5gpm to 1.0 GPM The C/W difference is .003 @ 100 watts is .3C

Even if you dropped down from 1.5 to .8 GPM the C/W difference is .006 or .6C.

It's pretty hard to get below .8 GPM, so this is a good example to show you how some blocks do very well even at low flow rates like the Fuzion.

This doesn't account for some loss you get in your radiator, but as long as you have plenty of capacity there, that won't amount to a whole bunch either.

So combining GPU and CPU might raise your CPU temps by several degrees, but most of that is going to be due to the added heat which you'll get regardless of which block you choose.
    CPU- i5 2500k 4.6g 1.25v
    Mobo- MIVE
    Ram- samsung ddr3 1600 4 x 4G
    VGA- EVGA 690 hydro vapour
    PSU- Corsair HX850W

Chasing After Diety
    Once again, you pwned the review boards

Great reivew!
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    this is exactly the choice i have to make when im going for watercooling in some months but in my setup i need the swiftech block, very good review couldn't be better!
    24/7 Setup: Asus maximus x38 / E8500 E0 (500x8) Dtek Fuzion / Ballistix old rev 4-4-4-4 @ 1000MHz / 2900XT Ek fullcover cf / Silverstone TJ-07

Bench: Commando / Tpower i45 / P5K / E8500 E0 @ http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=433935 / modded mach2 r507 / Old rev ballistix /

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast