Thread: 2900xt crystal mod

Xtreme Addict

2900xt crystal mod

well this mod is done by geoffrey aka wittekakker from oc-team.be .
    this alaws the core to bypass the bios clocks for about 50mhz or more , the only down side is that no tool will ever read-out the real clocks on the core .
    Quote Originally Posted by oc-team.be forum
    As you know, overclocking HD2900XT in CrossFire is not supported by any available software tool, not even BIOS modding tools like Rabit. I don't have the knowledge to add such support to current software, but what I do know is that the videocard internal clock frequency's are all being build upon a 27MHz clock oscillator/crystal. This has been like that for ages (well, almost ), check some of your past videocards, 99% of the time they will have a 27MHz crystal/oscillator somewhere. If you can't overclock the card via software then you can still alter the clock frequency by changing the crystal oscillator soldered on the VGA card.

In my previous experiments you saw how I changed a 27MHz crystal with a 29MHz crystal and that it boosted the 'stock' performance by 9%. You can do the same with your HD2900XT, I've looked at some of the pictures I took for the HD290XT review and pointed the to be changed 27MHz oscillator:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2126.jpg 
Views:	609 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	64001
    Go to your local electronics dealer and ask for the same thing but with a 29MHz frequency instead, then replace them and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you have to put the stock 27MHz crystal back on the card, no damage should accour to your card though.

Sidenote: alterering the reference 27MHz clock boosts every single clock frequency that's made on your HD2900XT. This means not only GPU, but also memory clock. If you card doesn't boot it could be possible that the memory can't scale that high, or visa versa the GPU could be holding you back too. Besides that it also changes communications between onboard VGA chips and has also effect on communication with your TFT screen. It could be possible that you've to lower the resolution in Windows because the refresh rate is too high.
    note this mod has not been tested yet ,all credits go to geoffrey

hope u guy's like this .

Tyler Durden
    Oh my, reminds me of the old old days...
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

naokaji
    replace a oscillator on your new and shiny hardware??

now thats what i call extreme

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    replace a oscillator on your new and shiny hardware??

now thats what i call extreme
    hehe I Call it XS
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Addict
    I call it rediculous! But I like the idea. I'm not about to be the one to try it out though
    FX8350 @ 4.0Ghz | 32GB @ DDR3-1200 4-4-4-12 | Asus 990FXA @ 1400Mhz | AMD HD5870 Eyefinity | XFX750W | 6 x 128GB Sandisk Extreme RAID0 @ Aerca 1882ix with 4GB DRAM
    eXceed TJ07 worklog/build

Xtreme Member
    Anyone on here try it?
    EVGA 780I
    Q9650 @ 3.6GHZ 9x400
    4x1Gig of OCZ Gamer X
    ATI 5850
    HP 42Inch 1080P LCD
    SilverStone 1k Op

Xtreme Guru
    Resoldering an oscillator is "extreme"? "Rediculous"?
    I take it some of you folks never heard of turbo PLLs...
    You were not supposed to see this.