Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest boinc version thread

Xtreme Cruncher

Latest boinc version thread

Last updated: 2-10-08

Figured we might as well have a thread to bump up every time there's a new Boinc version.

Notes: I've listed everything by version and sometimes the same version isn't compiled for all platforms, so just look further down the list if you don't see your OS. Also, if there isn't an unstable version listed for a certain OS that means the latest version has probably been considered stable and is in the recommended catagory.

Latest Unstable/Alpha/Beta:
    - 5.10.41(Feb. 7th 2008):
    --> Windows X86
    --> Windows X86_64
    --> Mac OSX GUI
    --> Mac OSX Command-line

- 6.1.0(Aug. 29th 2007): This was apparently compiled for demonstration and is no where near complete in terms of V6's intended features, although it does seem to work stable enough for numerous members.
    --> Windows X86
    --> Windows X86_64
    --> Mac OSX GUI
    --> Mac OSX Command-line

- 6.1.8(Aug. 29th 2007): Not really sure what's new with this.
    --> Windows X86

Latest Recommended/Stable:
    - 5.10.30(Nov. 13th 2007):
    --> Windows X86
    --> Windows X86_64

- 5.10.34(Jan. 8th 2008):
    --> Mac OSX GUI
    --> Mac OSX Command-line

- 5.10.28(Oct. 31th 2007):
    --> Linux X86
    --> Linux X86_64

WCG Version:
    - 5.10.30(Nov. 26th 2007): At the moment this seems to be the latest version, although I'm not quite sure how the WCG versions differ from the standard Berkeley releases, it does seem to be a slightly larger installer. Addy mentioned something about the included option to remove the UD agent during installation and perhaps some visual differences, other than that I have no clue how much they differ.
    --> Windows x86

All Versions:
    An archive of all previous and current versions are kept by Berkeley at here or here.
    There's also a download page that just has the latest unstable and recommended versions here.

Since the Linux clients don't appear to be updated very often, it would be possible to compile your own instead. These links should help how to compile, how to obtain the source code with svn, and the tags directory. I'd suggest checking out a version from the tags directory, that way you create from a known version number(it may mess with projects by having a rogue/invalid version) and don't try any compiler optimizations(they'll only inflate the benchmark, which we don't want).
    Last edited by rcofell; 02-10-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Royal Administrator
    Just installed it. Liked the new setup screen and the new icon. It won't let me to connect. It kept saying Connection Failed. Weird, but I switched back to the stable version.

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    I've had this running and its been totally fine on my laptop.

if i upgrade what will happen to the run ive half crunched?

RIG1: CPU: 3.06Ghz Celeron | RAM: 512MB DDR2 533MHZ, | MB: ASUS | HD: 500 GB x2 Raid 1 | OS: Ubuntu 7.04 | UPTIME: 24/7

RIG2: CPU: Q6600 | RAM: 2 GIG | HD: 80GB | OS: XP | Video Gforce 8600 GT UPTIME: 24/7

RIG3: CPU: AMD Duron 1200mhz | RAM: 512mb OCZ PC 3200 | HD: 80GB IDE | OS xubuntu

RIG 4,5,6 in bits

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by max0 View Post
    if i upgrade what will happen to the run ive half crunched?
    Nothing..If you shut down boinc, then upgrade it will overwrite and start where you left off..UNLESS you installed as a service.
    I'd suggest version 5.10.13 for windows machines.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmmm, I wouldn't think having it installed as a service would make a difference when upgrading

But like Dave said, it should pick up right where it left of when you shutdown before upgrading, since it'll only overwrite the executable/binary files.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcofell View Post
    Hmmm, I wouldn't think having it installed as a service would make a difference when upgrading

But like Dave said, it should pick up right where it left of when you shutdown before upgrading, since it'll only overwrite the executable/binary files.
    Yea, it does..found that out the hard way when I upped Meshmesh machine from 5.4.11 to 5.10.13 a few weeks ago.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Member
    so, with service install, how do i upgrade?
    is 6.10 worth it?
    My Rig X6 1055T|Crosshair IV Formula|8600GT|2x2024MB@1800|436GB storage

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well, I just went from 5.10.13 to 6.1.0 with no problem, both service installs. Just shutdown boinc and installed right over it, seems to be fine and kept all the previous work. Perhaps Dave's difficulties were due to such a a large jump in version, who knows. Either way it would be a good idea to backup the folder first.

As for is it worth upgrading? I honestly can't say, unless you like keeping up to date with the latest version.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcofell View Post
    Well, I just went from 5.10.13 to 6.1.0 with no problem, both service installs. Just shutdown boinc and installed right over it, seems to be fine and kept all the previous work. Perhaps Dave's difficulties were due to such a a large jump in version, who knows. Either way it would be a good idea to backup the folder first.

As for is it worth upgrading? I honestly can't say, unless you like keeping up to date with the latest version.
    Good to know, thanks pal!

Xtreme Legend
    Just an FYI. The status of 5.10.20 has been changed from beta to recommended for Windows x32 & x64, as well as Mac OS X.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    Just an FYI. The status of 5.10.20 has been changed from beta to recommended for Windows x32 & x64, as well as Mac OS X.

any reason why i should upgrade from 5.10.13 ?
    All I see is improved Vista compatibility , but i'm using WinXP

5.10.13 used to be recommended, isn't it? Now it's not even on their site anymore ?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post

Speaking of recomended, had a long back and forth with the WCG people on versions and the discrepancies between them.
    I think I have them talked into recomending that people move from 5.8.16 to the 5.10.13 or better versions.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    any reason why i should upgrade from 5.10.13 ?
    All I see is improved Vista compatibility , but i'm using WinXP

5.10.13 used to be recommended, isn't it? Now it's not even on their site anymore ?
    If you are happy with 5.10.13, then there's no reason to switch. I don't think you will see any major improvement in daily production with 5.10.20.

5.10.20 had in been on the site for awhile as a beta. That's usually a sign that it would move to recommended status.

Xtreme Member
    V.6 had no connection...so installed 5.10.20 and working ok.
    |Intel Core i5 750|Asrock P55-Pro|CMH212+|4GB-TRI-2000MHz|HD5770|

Hiding from the cops and people I ripped off
    Well, I'm happy with version 6 because I dont get network timeouts and other issue all the other x64 installers had. Now, I have noticed on version 6 it only likes vista and not xp... I couldnt get it to connect to host on xp but installed without any probs on vista

Xtreme Legend
    Been getting good daily point production with 6.1.0, even on a 32-bit OS. The 32-bit CPU benchmarks are not that impressive, at least on my system. But daily production has gone up a little. Have not had any problems.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Where you get 6.1.0? i am getting keep cant not connect error on 5.10.20!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_w View Post
    Where you get 6.1.0? i am getting keep cant not connect error on 5.10.20!!
    See first post

6.1.0 is not on the main BOINC download site because it was created for presentation purchases only at some workshop that BOINC holds in Geneva. But it runs fine. No problems with errors, etc.

The date for the official V6 release has not been announced yet. It will feature a new graphics generating program. And you will be able to install it only as a service. BOINC will be eliminating the single and multi-user options.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/milestone/6.0
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 09-08-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I don't mind getting the latest version of something.
    I am running 6.1.0 on Vista x64 without a hitch.

HAPPY MOTORING
    Asus P5Q Deluxe (P5QD1406) || Q9400 at 3.4GHz || 2x2GB Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 || HIS HD 4870 1GB w/ Scythe Musashi (silent) || 501GB Samsung HD || Zalman ZM850-HP || Antec P182 || Windows 7 x64 RTM

Xtreme Cruncher
    I had some very annoying problems over the last few days with 5.10.20 on X64 Vista. BOINC would run fine, and all the connections were fine. But when I would turn my computer on and off (like turning it off at night and turning it on in the morning) all my tasks would suddenly be 100%.
    Of course that's not possible so they would all account for errors on the WCG site.

VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING.

I've switched to 6.1 X64 now, I hope it solves the problem.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TRG View Post
    I had some very annoying problems over the last few days with 5.10.20 on X64 Vista. BOINC would run fine, and all the connections were fine. But when I would turn my computer on and off (like turning it off at night and turning it on in the morning) all my tasks would suddenly be 100%.
    Of course that's not possible so they would all account for errors on the WCG site.

VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING.

You turn your machine OFF?

Da Goose

VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING.

Observations:
    Running 5.10.20

XP64 Blows away XP32...Same settings, OC etc...XP32 =84C/Hr XP64=108C/Hr...

Hope this helps.

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    You turn your machine OFF?
    Ehmm err.. well.. I.. and.. my girlfriend.. and the energy bills (damn, I knew people would attack me!!!)

I BOUGHT A SECOND QUAD WITHOUT ANY NEED SO PLEASE DO NOT ATTACK ME ON THIS ONE!!

Observations:
    Running 5.10.20

XP64 Blows away XP32...Same settings, OC etc...XP32 =84C/Hr XP64=108C/Hr...

Hope this helps.
    Every observation helps! There is indeed a big difference in XP32/XP64. My VISTA X64 quad got 25~30% higher benchmarks in BOINC over my XP32 quad. Another good reason to install VISTA on both of them..

Note: 5.10.20 on XP32 (the other quad) works fine..

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Ehmm err.. well.. I.. and.. my girlfriend.. and the energy bills (damn, I knew people would attack me!!!)

I BOUGHT A SECOND QUAD WITHOUT ANY NEED SO PLEASE DO NOT ATTACK ME ON THIS ONE!!
    Just teasing my friend..Really, totally in jest.
    Everyone is different and I don't judge..But I do tease and only to people I like!

Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast