Thread: Sun buys out Montalvo Systems

Xtreme Addict

Post Sun buys out Montalvo Systems

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Infrastruct...-Chip-Company/

I read about this over at the Tech Report: http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/14625

Sun may get an x86 license out of this and you know what that means. I hope they can license Hyper Transport from AMD. That shouldn't be a problem since thats part of AMD's business plan (Torrenza add in chips, etc.). I'd guess that we may see Sun x86 UltraSPARCs one day with 8 cores and 64 threads: http://www.sun.com/processors/UltraSPARC-T2/

Sun's "Hyper Threading" is on crack.

EDIT: Sun is already a member of the Hyper Transport Consortium
    Last edited by Mechromancer; 04-25-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    sweet.... get some of these on WCG

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What does AMD's HT have to do with sun? Someone enlighten me
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

all outta gum
    the article at Eweek doesn't even mention x86 license.
    Thay said
    a semiconductor company that was looking to break into the x86 market
    Sorry but every second semiconductor company looks to break into this market... they just cant. Way to make hype
    Last edited by G.Foyle; 04-25-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_A View Post
    Sun lincensed the HT bus years ago. So long ago we all forgot (~2001 I think). Yes, I'm making a bit of hype by posting this news but this is reality. My point is IF Sun wanted to make an AM2+ or AM3 compatible x86 CPU to go along with some AMD chipset in the future, they legally could. AMD did the same thing back when they used Intel's sockets 5 through 7. Realistically though, it would take them years to design an x86 CPU, if they didn't already have a design made up in anticipation for this occasion. All I'm saying is the possibility, if not the capability, is there.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ye, wrong title and completely misunderstood subject.

Sun Microsystems is buying the technical assets of Montalvo Systems, a semiconductor company that was looking to break into the x86 market against the likes of Intel and Advanced Micro Devices.
    And...

“The assets will be integrated into the Microelectronics business unit,” Dana Lengkeek, a Sun spokesperson, wrote in an e-mail. “We believe acquiring these assets will enhance the current and future products we are developing and expect them to contribute to future generations of Sun's microprocessor technology, which will in turn drive additional differentiation for Sun's Systems products.”
    So lets cut the hype and BS before it runs lose ok?

There is no HT, there is no x86. Thats all a fantasy made story.
    Last edited by Shintai; 04-25-2008 at 01:41 PM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_A View Post
    HT is not AMD. It's an open industry standart.

http://www.hypertransport.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    Sun lincensed the HT bus years ago. So long ago we all forgot (~2001 I think). Yes, I'm making a bit of hype by posting this news but this is reality. My point is IF Sun wanted to make an AM2+ or AM3 compatible x86 CPU to go along with some AMD chipset in the future, they legally could. AMD did the same thing back when they used Intel's sockets 5 through 7. Realistically though, it would take them years to design an x86 CPU, if they didn't already have a design made up in anticipation for this occasion. All I'm saying is the possibility, if not the capability, is there.
    They would make it with what licenses again? SUN would be sued to hell and forced to shutdown any x86 production so quick you wouldnt even see the first CPU.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Cruncher
    tbh - x86 licencing is BS.... anyone should be able to make cpu's, not who intel wants.

imagine if they licenced toasters and only one person made them?

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

I am Xtreme
    I thought AMD can make x86 compatible chips because they reverse engineered Intel chips fair and square. Intel tried to sue them into oblivion but lost because you can't stop somebody from inventing something that produces the same output as long as they don't steal your design.

edit - The point is, that anyone should be able to get into the x86 business without a license as long as they're willing to do the leg work. And I would assume that the same would apply to x86 emulation on a completely different kind of chip.
    Last edited by twilyth; 04-25-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Not entirely correct; AMD produced meny of Intels earlier x86 processors and along the side they made pirate copies and later on their own designed processors.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    HT is not AMD. It's an open industry standart.

http://www.hypertransport.org/
    ah, didn't know that.
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    I thought AMD can make x86 compatible chips because they reverse engineered Intel chips fair and square. Intel tried to sue them into oblivion but lost because you can't stop somebody from inventing something that produces the same output as long as they don't steal your design.

edit - The point is, that anyone should be able to get into the x86 business without a license as long as they're willing to do the leg work. And I would assume that the same would apply to x86 emulation on a completely different kind of chip.

US army made a request for some parts and required additional resource - that's how AMD became x86 CPU architecture manufacturer

here we go again