Thread: WORLDBEAT - Singapore Airlines puts a Linux PC in every seat

Xtreme Cruncher

WORLDBEAT - Singapore Airlines puts a Linux PC in every seat

To make flying more enjoyable for its passengers, Singapore Airlines Ltd. is adding bigger screens, more in-flight movies and a PC, running Red Hat Inc.'s distribution of the Linux operating system, in every seat on its newest planes.

Unlike many U.S. airlines, the carrier doesn't view in-flight service as a cost center where cutbacks can be made to reduce losses or boost profits. Instead, Singapore Airlines' latest investments in cabin service are designed to help it stand out from the competition and attract more passengers

KrisWorld, Singapore Airlines' in-flight entertainment system, is a main focus of these efforts, offering on-demand movies, television shows, games and music to passengers. Now, the airline aims to raise the bar, rolling out a new version of KrisWorld that improves significantly on existing systems and hints at what passengers can expect to see on the Airbus S.A.S. A380 and The Boeing Co. 787 Dreamliner, when these aircraft enter service.
    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...es-puts-a.html
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Those southeast asian state sponsored airlines are getting more hedonistic every day. But then again, every day even Aeroflot looks more like a luxury carrier compared to the flying cattle cars that sum up the american airline industry.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainas View Post
    Those southeast asian state sponsored airlines are getting more hedonistic every day. But then again, every day even Aeroflot looks more like a luxury carrier compared to the flying cattle cars that sum up the american airline industry.
    Well, you've obviously never flown intra-state in russia. I'm surprised aeroflot is still in business, but i can honestly say I sank over 10k into it

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Aeroflot are totally awesome, i have never had a more memorable flying experience
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Haha, yeah that was a slight extravagation on my part. My grandmother flew Aeroflot back in Soviet days and told me all sorts of 'wonderful' stories; stewardess "No, in soviet russia, two crackers" Not kidding at all, this was in the days before yakov smirnoff or whatever(1970s). Yeah I guess you would get that experience.

But in honestly flying AeroMexico or British Airways feels like luxury after doing a hubtastic LAX>JFK on a delta/united 757(no need to mention allot of this is because domestic flights always blow compared to international). The best I've even been on is Qantas. Next time I go back east(in one week), its a nonstop on Jetblue now that the horror miles are drained.

Meanwhile Malay airlines in counter to Singapore, has announced walk in closets for all long haul routes.
    Last edited by Dainas; 08-26-2007 at 09:55 PM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    How about the carrier I read about in AU that took DC3's..Yes, that is the C47 of WW2, went through them, upgraded the electronics, hell, they didn't have any to start with..Replaced the prop motors with jets and flys it cross country at 400MPH.. Yea, the 70 year old airframe was built so strong it handles that load..Damned thing wasn't designed to go over 250MPH in a steep dive..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Ebay Hater
    Aeroflot is great for international flights, not quite SAS, but good enough As for local flights, I mean, who wouldn't enjoy flying with the wind in their hair over hundreds miles of uninhabited Syberian tundra?

CSA [Czech airlines] still operate some ty propeller aircraft, those are always an experience.. At least they now have Airbuses and 767s on the Copenhagen - Prague route.
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Singapore Airlines is by far one of the best i've traveled on.
    Asus P5B-D WiFi
    E6300 L626 @ 3.2@ 1.32V
    EVGA 7900GTX
    Big Typhoon Air cooling
    Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB Anniversary
    320GB SeagateSATA
    Enermax 460W PS

Singapore air is very good i dont mind flying with them or Emerates

Xtreme Member
    Most of Russia's state planes are older then 30 yrs old, cold war era. Officially, they r decomissioned, but then again, what's official in Russia...