Thread: Take a 4 cell lion pack upgrade to 8 cells?

Take a 4 cell lion pack upgrade to 8 cells?

Can you upgrade a 4 cell lion pack to one with 8 cells using the same protection circuit... The reason I ask is because the container clearly supports 8 cells since this battery pack fits into a laptop that supports 8 cell batteries as well, but in the same slot.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by imzjustplayin View Post
    Can you upgrade a 4 cell lion pack to one with 8 cells using the same protection circuit... The reason I ask is because the container clearly supports 8 cells since this battery pack fits into a laptop that supports 8 cell batteries as well, but in the same slot.
    You sure? Typically the high-capacity batteries use the same slot and everything, but stick out the back of the laptop... ie different battery pack casing.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    I'm curious about this too. The battery pack for my laptop clearly has room for two more cells.

Xtreme Addict
    Given the nature of LIon batteries, I would say no. There is a chip on there that measures capacity, voltage and other things. Most likely if you were able to get the cells and stuff them in right, you would still have to worry about that chip locking out the battery.