Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henri Richard, AMD Marketing Exec Resigns

Xtreme Member

Henri Richard, AMD Marketing Exec Resigns

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9646

We have it on good authority that AMD's chief sales and marketing officer Henri Richard has resigned and that his resignation has been accepted and will take effect from September 8.

Our exclusive revelation that AMD's marketing leader - and Hector Ruiz's right-hand man - is to leave comes soon after the departure from AMD of former ATI CEO Dave Orton.

At the time that it purchased ATi, AMD had over $2bn in the bank and was (on paper at least) almost three times bigger than graphics giant - which had been regularly banging in quarterly results in the region of $650M.

Unfortunately, since the merger, AMD has struggled to get past $1.3Bn - strongly indicating that ATI is, quite possibly, now delivering half of AMD's revenue.
    Good riddance, he still had a competitive product and lost market share way to fast.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

I am Xtreme
    This comes off as something planned long ago if you ask me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    His big stock dump a few months ago raised a flag in my eyes. I'd venture that he was going to be forced out (which he probably was) soon either way. Even at performance disadvantages, he should have been able to keep more customer loyalty.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The information minister of AMD resigned? oh noes!

Asus P5B-D WiFi
    E6300 L626 @ 3.2@ 1.32V
    EVGA 7900GTX
    Big Typhoon Air cooling
    Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB Anniversary
    320GB SeagateSATA
    Enermax 460W PS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
    His big stock dump a few months ago raised a flag in my eyes. I'd venture that he was going to be forced out (which he probably was) soon either way. Even at performance disadvantages, he should have been able to keep more customer loyalty.
    I remember that. I brought it up in a few forums that something is amiss.
    You had all these AMDers saying oh no but people dump/cash in stocks all the time, blah blah blah.

The guy sucked.
    He joined in 02, Not long after that, Athlon hit the market which did the selling itself. You didn't need a great mind behind the marketing to sell the athlon, it sold itself.
    True test of a Marketing Exec comes when your product is down, and you do what is necessary to market that product. I didn't see Intel having problems selling the preshots.... they still made billions (please don't bring up the legal issues, thats not the point). Everyone "knew" the pentium4 name.

Just my opinion, good riddance, and I think Hector should be next.
    Last edited by n91htmare; 08-22-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    Asus P5B-D WiFi
    E6300 L626 @ 3.2@ 1.32V
    EVGA 7900GTX
    Big Typhoon Air cooling
    Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB Anniversary
    320GB SeagateSATA
    Enermax 460W PS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by n91htmare View Post
    I remember that. I brought it up in a few forums that something is amiss.
    You had all these AMDers saying oh no but people dump/cash in stocks all the time, blah blah blah...
    ...I actually chuckled at this because I remember people saying that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Guru
    Does this mean more or less powerpoints?
    You were not supposed to see this.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    BOOM! I'll take over!

Sure..im not a marketing genius, but i'l give it an honest shot, and for a crapload less money than Richards' salary!
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    About time.

A 4 year old could have done a better sales job.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    ...I actually chuckled at this because I remember people saying that
    Yeah, but didn't somebody give figures showing every time Richard had cashed in over several years, and there were quite a few bigger cashouts than the one people were up in arms over. Most of them during better times, which is probably why they didn't raise eyebrows.

naked X2 3800+ Toledo LCBIE 0618EPMW ]3020mhz@1.554v]
    TT BigTyphoon
    DFI LP UT NF4 Sli-D - 4/06 BT mod
    PCP&C Silencer 750w

2x1GB Mushkin XP4000 Samsung C-UCCC @253mhz 3,4,3,8 1T @ 2.65v
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB@ 787/1944/2244

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by mstp2009 View Post
    About time.

A 4 year old could have done a better sales job.
    Or a blind 8-year old with MSPaint.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

Xtreme Mentor
    They picked up a marketing exec from Intel anyway.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

that must have been a hard job to retire from...all the hard work he did?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Indes View Post
    that must have been a hard job to retire from...all the hard work he did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My thoughts are not rocket science but honeslty AMD should of not bought ATI when they did.The should of kept taking market share from intel,they had all the time in the world to get ready for core due and they sat there and did nothing.Barcelona is a year and a half late,It should of launched the same time as core 2 did.

AMD is in the worst position ever now,They have a R600 that isnt what it was exptected to be and intel just waiting for them to drop K10 so they can mass sell there 45nm nextgen stuff.There ready and there waiting.

Just emagine where AMD would be now if they put 100% of there efforts toward releasing k10 when core came out.They would be getting ready to buy ATI now and have itel running around having to re design another core.With a next gen core in the works.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I call Hector next.

YouTube Addict
    well that was expected.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Banned

Confirmed by CNET

http://news.com.com/8301-13579_3-9764315-37.html

AMD's Henri Richard to step down
    Posted by Tom Krazit

Advanced Micro Devices will announce the imminent departure of Henri Richard, the company's chief sales officer, later this afternoon, CNET News.com has confirmed.

A source familiar with AMD's plans confirmed the news, first reported earlier Wednesday by Hexus.net, that Richard plans to step down from his post as executive vice president and chief sales and marketing officer. Hexus said Richard's departure will be effective as of September 8.

Richard's loss is a very significant development in what has been a disastrous year for AMD. Its flagship product for 2007, a quad-core server chip known as Barcelona, will arrive six months later than expected after a number of technical glitches. AMD has lost a ton of money in the interim, trying to compete against Intel's quad-core chips by slashing the prices of its dual-core chips.

Richard has been a very public figure at AMD, where CEO Hector Ruiz and COO Dirk Meyer are much less visible. Richard presided over a question-and-answer session with reporters last month at AMD's analyst meeting, and has been one of the leading executive voices behind AMD's antitrust campaign against Intel. He has been with AMD since 2002, right before its surge coming off the launch of the Opteron processor.

An AMD representative declined to comment on the report. If the date of Richard's departure is accurate, the company will have to pull off its biggest product launch of the year with Barcelona without its head salesman.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
    My thoughts are not rocket science but honeslty AMD should of not bought ATI when they did.The should of kept taking market share from intel,they had all the time in the world to get ready for core due and they sat there and did nothing.Barcelona is a year and a half late,It should of launched the same time as core 2 did.

AMD is in the worst position ever now,They have a R600 that isnt what it was exptected to be and intel just waiting for them to drop K10 so they can mass sell there 45nm nextgen stuff.There ready and there waiting.

Just emagine where AMD would be now if they put 100% of there efforts toward releasing k10 when core came out.They would be getting ready to buy ATI now and have itel running around having to re design another core.With a next gen core in the works.
    It's only 6 months late according to AMD and they even said they couldn't of helped what the delays where for from Barcelona
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Mentor
    AMD has a marketing division?

Xtreme Mentor
    didn't you hear? a baby boy with a Ph.D in statistics specialized in powerpoint presentations!

mom, bathroom!

Ryzen 9 3900X w/ NH-U14s on MSI X570 Unify
    32 GB Patriot Viper Steel 3733 CL14 (1.51v)
    RX 5700 XT w/ 2x 120mm fan mod (2 GHz)
    Tons of NVMe & SATA SSDs
    LG 27GL850 + Asus MG279Q
    Meshify C white

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    It's only 6 months late according to AMD and they even said they couldn't of helped what the delays where for from Barcelona
    we have been hearing about barcelona for over a year now.Why in gods name did AMD put out AM2 socket and waste half a year when they should of just went to k10.

Intel throws out the core arc.and AMD throws out AM2 wich was stupid.They should of spent all there resources to launch something that can keep up or beat intel.

I am so glad I went with a e6600 right when it came out.I was a die hard AMD fan,but the specs and performance were right there and all AMD had was buy AM2 oh wait that will faze out to AM3 oh but if you really want a quad setup buy our server socket and spend 600 on a board to match what intel has.They were milking there customers around and re selling what they already have.Did they think that the A64 buz would be good enough to over come the raw performance of the core Arc???

I am very happy cruising @3.6 on air cooling with my setup and that is daily 24/7 use,this chip has seen up to 3.8ghz for benching.

I can also throw the next gen quad core intel in when it comes out next year.Barcelona is going to be a huge flop,its late and intel has something to beat it already.

k10 should of came out right as core 2 came out.K10 is a direct competitor to the core due,I guess they think intel has been sitting on there asses doing nothing this past 2 years lol

I hope barcelona is a smash and perfoms,they need it and I just bought an ATI card(knowing nvidia had a beeter card)just to help them out a bit and try to stay a little loyal and guess what?I am kinda pissed at this card and wished I went with the other side lol.

Xtreme Member
    I think it's a combination of both:
    A) Wasting time with AM2
    B) Having to trash their original design

I'm still trying to figure out why they even developed the AM2 socket when it had no performance advantages over 939. An utter waste of resources simply to use DDR2.

Imagine if there was no AM2, and K8L had come out in the middle of last year?
    >> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    AMD has a marketing division?

Thuban 1090T @ 3.8Ghz | Corsair H70 | G.Skill DDR3 16GB 1600 Cas9 | Gigabyte 880GMA | HD5870 | Corsair AX750 |
    I7-875K @ 3.6Ghz w/HT on | Corsair H50 | G.Skill DDR3 4GB 1600 Cas6 | Asus Sabertooth | GTX260 | Corsair 850TX |
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz | G.Skill DDR2 2x2GB PC8000 | DFI LP JR P45-T2RS | HD3850 | Corsair 620HX |
    E6400 SL9T9 @ 3.0Ghz | G.Skill DDR2 2x1GBHK (4-4-3-5) | Intel Bad Axe v3.06 | X1950PRO | Corsair 550VX |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by terrace215 View Post
    An AMD representative declined to comment on the report. If the date of Richard's departure is accurate, the company will have to pull off its biggest product launch of the year with Barcelona without its head salesman.
    which is a bloody good thing!!!

Richard and all the AMD exec joined after right before K8 launched were pretty incompetent fools that couldn't even last one full product cycle.
    Athlon 64 3200+ | ASUS M2A-VM 0202 | Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 | 3ware 9650SE 4LPML | Seasonic SS-380HB | Antec Solo
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro 1001 | Gigabyte 4850HD Silent | G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ | Samsung MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA SLC SSD | Seasonic M12 650 | Antec P180
    Core i7-2600K @ 4.3 GHz @ 1.30V | ASUS P8P67 Pro | Sparkle GTX 560 Ti | G.Skill Ripjaw X F3-12800CL8 4x4GB @ 933MHz 9-10-9-24 2T | Crucial C300 128GB | Seasonic X750 Gold | Antec P183

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    DRAM production lines are simple and extremely cheap in a ultra low profit market.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast