Thread: $200 Notebooks Become Reality

I am Xtreme

$200 Notebooks Become Reality

i like this
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/...820102938.html

Asus to Start Shipping Eee PC in September.
    $200 Notebooks Become Reality

Category: Mobile

by Ilya Gavrichenkov

[ 08/20/2007 | 10:30 AM ]

Asus Company is going to start manufacturing ultra low-cost notebooks first demonstrated at Computex 2007 that are considered extremely promising solutions. According to Digitimes, this September already the company is going to start selling its first Eee PC 701 series notebooks prices between $199 and $369 depending on the features and region. Note that they are planning to supply about 20,000 units next month into USA, Taiwan, China and Europe, with the $349-model being the biggest part of the supply. However, as the production increases, more affordable models should become widely available also. In 2007 they intend to ship 500,000 units of this series, and in 2008 the production should hit 3-5 mln units.

In addition to securing orders from the mentioned countries, Asustek has also landed orders for its Eee PCs from a number of education organizations, insurance companies and emerging markets, the sources noted.

Eee PC 701 is a compact notebook in plastic casing with a 7-inch screen diagonal and 800x480 resolution (although the unit is slightly larger than the screen to accommodate the speakers). It is based on Intel mobile chipset and CPU (supposedly it will be integrated Intel 910 chipset and 900MHz Intel Celeron-M ULV 353 CPU). It is equipped with 512MB of DDR2-400 memory and 2-16GB of flash memory instead of the hard drive. There will be three USB ports, audio jacks and VGA Out for communication with the rest of the world. As for the network interfaces, there will be a 10/100Mbps port and wireless WiFi (802.11b/g) interface, as well as a 56K modem. The device will be equipped with a card-reader and a 0.3Mpixel web-cam.

Besides ultra-mobility, Eee PC will also have other advantages, such as Shock Proof Design, wireless connectivity and ease of use.

Eee PC 701 will ship with a 4-cell NiMH battery that should last for about 3-4 hours of non-stop operation. The notebook will be 225 x 165 x 21 (35) mm big and will weigh only 800-900g. It will come with Linux OS preinstalled by default, but Asus claims that it will also be Windows OS compatible. By the way, the manufacturer positions this solution not as a notebook, but as a more mobile addition to a notebook you may already have, or as a portable device with Internet access.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asus_Eee_701.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	63267  

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

YouTube Addict
    Honestly looks like a good value but they could save an extra $15 if they switched from the touchpad to pointing stick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick
    I honestly like it better but honestly I can't wait to see it hit retail
    (also they could make it cooler and cheaper (and better at encryption) if they switched to Via C7-m)
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Mentor
    i hate touchpads regardless, I'd end up using a mouse anyway

heh i'm at the point where I want a $200 laptop(swap in some of my own RAM though) and a $100 mouse

hahaha wow.

Xtreme Addict
    I think these will sell like hot cakes.
    Current Setup:
    -9850 GX2's in Quad SLI config
    -Asus P5N32-SLI MB
    -2x512mb of PC2-5300 DDR2
    -Intel Celeron D OC'd to 3.2Ghz
    -Windows Me with XP theme
    -WD Caviar 20GB Hard Drive
    -Zip drive
    -Jazz drive
    -3.5" floppy drive
    -5.25" floppy drive

naokaji
    i know... the sentence it will put the existance of something else to an end is often overused...
    but, a notebook for 200$ will prolly take a big share of the pda market...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    i hate touchpads regardless, I'd end up using a mouse anyway

heh i'm at the point where I want a $200 laptop(swap in some of my own RAM though) and a $100 mouse

hahaha wow.
    I am guessing, that Asus will solder 256 ddram directly to the board, therefore you cannot upgrade the ram at all.
    Thanks
    ||Asus P5B||Celeron 420 320*8||1GB RAM||Samsung 24IN LCD||Seti@HOME||
    ||XFX 680I LT||No CPU||2GB RAM||Seti@HOME||-Down
    ||PSP||PS3||Wii||iPhone||Mac Mini||LCD-TV||2-LAPTOPS||Z5500||

Xtreme Member

Looks like these laptops could be an interesting and affordable addition to the notebook marketplace, especially at the entry price of $200. I am not a big fan either of touchpads so i'll stick with my faithful ol mouse

I am Xtreme
    I hope the 10" screen is out soon. The fact that the 7" inch doesn't cover the whole screen upsets me a bit.

Egyptian OverClocker
    surely i will be buying one of those
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very good! I will need one cheap Laptop to programming and without windows

Xtreme Member
    wow that looks great! finally a laptop I can stuff in my pocket.

but what the heck is with the battery!!! 4 cell NIMH? come on... if they woulda put a LI-ion battery in there, that thing would chug for 10h straight. they better offer the LI-on battery as an accessory, if they do, they have me sold.

Intel Core i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB DDR3-1600 | Asus GTX 670 directCU TOP | Intel 320 120GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Silverstone TJ08-E | Dell UltraSharp U2711

Watching that NB still a while, but cannot be happy with the recent info.
    I hope the 10" screen is out soon
    Rumours say that there will be no 10" model, but one with 9".

The 4cell battery is called to run 4-5hrs, the 200$ version of the book will only have a 2 cell battery.
    The OS is a Xandros derivate.
    A few links:
    http://www.eeehackers.com/forums/vie....php?id=16&p=1
    http://www.eeeuser.com/

I think a decent version of the book will cost you at least 400$

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This looks like it would be so perfect for school. It isn't gaming friendly in any sense of the word (so that temptation is nonexistant) but has all the basic things I would need to do my homework, take notes, etc. I want one!!

Xtreme Member
    I hope there will be a black version avalible.

Wow that is really cheap, I might pick up 1

or 12

Xtreme Mentor
    I might get one n wack Xsos on it or tinyxp =]

would be cool
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhla View Post
    This looks like it would be so perfect for school. It isn't gaming friendly in any sense of the word (so that temptation is nonexistant) but has all the basic things I would need to do my homework, take notes, etc. I want one!!
    depends on the games age.

snes9x and zsnes are awesome

Xtreme Member
    ACK celeron. the lack of cache is killing me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket
    Erm, its a little weird how a lot of peeps dont have a case for their PC.....essentially thats a cheat because in a case things always run hotter, yet ppl will claim their OC "stable"

Sorry, in my book nothing is valid unless its in a case, and hence, a "normal" environment, by all means go nuts on cooling not a problem, but an open top setup with an OC ppl claim to be stable when in all reality inside a PC it probably won't be? Thats just unacceptable to me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Woohoo it's here! I wonder what the batter life is on these babies
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Woohoo it's here! I wonder what the batter life is on these babies
    A is for Apples.....

Eee PC 701 will ship with a 4-cell NiMH battery that should last for about 3-4 hours of non-stop operation.
    Just messing around