Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spy Photos Showing the 2008 BMW M3

Xtreme Member
    It looks gorgeous if you ask me

Isn't the little spoiler a typical M3 thing?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
    You know what that means? Time to buy American!
    Don't ever say "time to buy american" in a M3 thread, American cars are cheaply built and gernerally crap, sorry to finally break it to you...

here are some more photos guys:

you can find more in these topics, I didn't wanna post all of them here, too many
    2008 BMW M3
    BMW M3 E92
    BMW M3 E92

Is that roof made completely of carbon fibre or does it only have the "look" ?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by fhpchris View Post
    Don't ever say "time to buy american" in a M3 thread, American cars are cheaply built and gernerally crap, sorry to finally break it to you...
    And bmw's are $$$$$ to buy,and maintain.I think it's a even trade.
    This car is nothing special as far as looks go imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

INTEL Q6600 L737B075 400@x9 1.385v--Abit IP35 pro--4 gb Gskill 4-4-4-12 -Ati 6870-Dell 2407fp @1920x1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I saw one the other day around town? Seen a few pre-release BMWs actually over the past few years (not sure why CT of all places). Anyway, was wondering to myself "I didn't think that was out yet" Well, now I know.

It's very, very nice in person
    i see test vechiles around when i go towards Vegas seen the land rover test vechiles

Xtreme Cruncher
    Not sure if I like it... the BMW M series has always had a boxier, rougher, more performance minded design and this is rounded and somewhat tame looking.

Same reason for me not liking the 6 series.

I hope that the roof is really pure carbon fibre. If it is black only for the looks, then it looks the same as the roof of a Mini. That lame appearance game should be left to the Japanese.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    oooh

There will probably be a GT2 class M3 as well
    About time, Thiessen should charge into GT1 soon too
    I've seen your forum name somewhere... rsc?

M3 looks nice, but I still like the E36/E46 look. The time will come when I start to like this one more. That said, I think it will be a disappointment for many in the engine department stock or tuned/mods.
    i5 3570k | Asrock Z77 e4 | F3-2666CL11D-8GTXD | GTX660Ti | HX650 | 2xU2312HM

Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    Not sure if I like it... the BMW M series has always had a boxier, rougher, more performance minded design and this is rounded and somewhat tame looking.

Same reason for me not liking the 6 series.
    this change, designs change, and sometimes we need to move forward and I think the car will be a hit. You have no idea how many people were complaining about the E9x series cars, and how much they love their E46 models and now there is a shortage on 335i coupes and convertibles, and the other models are selling like crazy also. I'm sure the new M3 will sell really well

Xtreme Enthusiast
    some people complained about the tiny spoiler. Guess they only know or intentionally beat on aesthetics and don't know much or anything about aerodynamics. That little piece will be a major part and not make it a STi/EVO style car.

Quote Originally Posted by GMX View Post
    some people complained about the tiny spoiler. Guess they only know or intentionally beat on aesthetics and don't know much or anything about aerodynamics. That little piece will be a major part and not make it a STi/EVO style car.

That puny little thing does anything at all ? That thing is a total joke. And I don't know anything about aerodynamics ? How many times have you driven at Nurburgring, or even the Autobahn ?

That roof is not carbon. Its painted black and looks like that of a Mini. The car looks dumb, and looks more and more like an EVO/STi.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY View Post
    That puny little thing does anything at all ? That thing is a total joke. And I don't know anything about aerodynamics ? How many times have you driven at Nurburgring, or even the Autobahn ?

That roof is not carbon. Its painted black and looks like that of a Mini. The car looks dumb, and looks more and more like an EVO/STi.
    lol.

Have you competed in national karting championships? Have you tested any Formulas such as Formula Ford at Oran Park, Eastern Creek, Perth, Sepang? I guess not. Driver doing a track day doesn't compare.

Yes it does do something. They have done their tests in the wind tunnel and found conclusive results. Then they take samples to tracks/real testing and then make final conclusions. If it didn't do anything at all, then it wouldn't be there. Simple as that. That device resembles a gurney tab

Interesting, driving on the ring teaches you aerodynamics according to IanY. I wonder why drivers always talk about "learning" as much as possible and quickly. If you understand the technicals, it helps you for setup of whatever you're driving and get the max performance out of it. Fernando Alonso, Schumacher are much like this. Someone like Kimi Raikkonen/Hakkinen is not so much but still a lightning quick driver.
    Last edited by GMX; 08-26-2007 at 09:18 AM.

lol.

Have you competed in national karting championships? Have you tested any Formulas such as Formula Ford at Oran Park, Eastern Creek, Perth, Sepang? I guess not. Driver doing a track day doesn't compare.

Yes it does do something. They have done their tests in the wind tunnel and found conclusive results. Then they take samples to tracks/real testing and then make final conclusions. If it didn't do anything at all, then it wouldn't be there. Simple as that. That device resembles a gurney tab

Interesting, driving on the ring teaches you aerodynamics according to IanY. I wonder why drivers always talk about "learning" as much as possible and quickly. If you understand the technicals, it helps you for setup of whatever you're driving and get the max performance out of it. Fernando Alonso, Schumacher are much like this. Someone like Kimi Raikkonen/Hakkinen is not so much but still a lightning quick driver.
    Nurburgring is outside of Munich. Its where BMWs are developed and its the home of BMWs. If driving there doesn't help you learn about BMWs.....

How did you get from a regular passenger car to Formula Ford? While we are at it, why don't I shoot back... Hockenheim? Monza? Spa Francochamps? Suzuka? Fuji? Yes, I have driven at Sepang.. I'm from that part of the world. What better location to learn about German cars than in Europe?

So, you say that you've driven Formula Ford ? Which season? You are spouting off your rear end. Formula Ford is even faster than Formula BMW. Its forms the talent breeding ground for Formula Three, which is the minor league for Formula One. Do you know how good you need to be to be on the Formula Ford driver's list ? Anyway, we are talking about passenger cars here.

I didn't say that they don't do anything. I said that they are not as effective as a proper rear spoiler... aka 911 and 430/360.
    Last edited by IanY; 08-26-2007 at 10:58 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    About time, Thiessen should charge into GT1 soon too
    I've seen your forum name somewhere... rsc?

M3 looks nice, but I still like the E36/E46 look. The time will come when I start to like this one more. That said, I think it will be a disappointment for many in the engine department stock or tuned/mods.
    Yeah, I'm a member of RSC.

With the Z4M Coupe Motorsport a VLN only car, I could see a GT2 M3. I wouldn't rule out a GT1 M3, but it really depends on what Thiessen wants to do.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nurburgring is outside of Munich. Its where BMWs are developed and its the home of BMWs. If driving there doesn't help you learn about BMWs.....
    Do I care? I already said I havn't been to Europe yet and I don't see it anytime soon. If I wanted to go, I'd only go to pursue a higher open wheel career.

How did you get from a regular passenger car to Formula Ford? While we are at it, why don't I shoot back... Hockenheim? Monza? Spa Francochamps? Suzuka? Fuji? Yes, I have driven at Sepang.. I'm from that part of the world. What better location to learn about German cars than in Europe?
    And you have driven those tracks? And what have you driven at Sepang? I don't mind what you've driven, obviously you are egocentric "ooh look at me, I've had a track day at these tracks". One I forgot to mention was the mountain (of course not racing or testing)

So, you say that you've driven Formula Ford ? Which season? You are spouting off your rear end.

lol! I didn't say I drove a season did I? Before you drive a season what is done? You are evaluated, then maybe with some luck or sheer awesome talent you can get large sponsor support or you can get a paid drive. In my situation, I'm a fulltime student at the same time. So I only TEST. My first test was almost 18-19months ago.

Its forms the talent breeding ground for Formula Three, which is the minor league for Formula One.
    Wow I did not know! lol! More commonly after formula ford season one will or should go into a programme such as Formula Renault, but that is at the moment only in Europe I think. Anyway a different point, tell me something I didn't know. So at the age of a youngster I guess I didn't even know about F1 or F3000 or the various TCCs around the world.

Do you know how good you need to be to be on the Formula Ford driver's list ? Anyway, we are talking about passenger cars here.
    No sh*t, actually do you know how NOT good you need to be? lol. I know a lot of fellow competitors and all they have or rely on(ie no talent, and sometimes even no will - what a waste) is a plenty rich family and spend their whole careers as pay drivers. Some go as far as to enter their own "family" team with their son driving to enter a development series. I know a Scandinavian dude, his father owns a major raw materials supplier (such as BHP) and you got big fat decal of it on the 997 RSR he drives. Talent? Not much, but he pays for all the tyres and general costs of the team and does the minimum amount of time needed by 1 driver in stints for plain FIA GT races as well as the Spa 24hours. Sometimes it's just a bit bad luck when a potential sponsor doesn't take notice, but 99% of the time that's what happens, the family rolls out the big bucks. Its the truth weather you want it or not that money talks BIG in motorsport careers, it has been like this for A LONG time that talent/how good you are is not a major major factor that much (esp with the wide range of driver coaching schools in Europe and increasing in USA), It's $$$.

For those people, they have to maximise every chance they get to really make a career. Contrast someone like Schumacher and Alex Yoong etc.

Back in '91 Frentzen was a more talented prospect than Schumacher, but he didn't have enough to cover Eddie Jordon's needs of money, whereas someone like Alex Yoong got absolutely slaughtered, failed to qualify several times, 4-5seconds off his teammates pace.

Yes we are talking about passenger cars, then you dragged in "i drove nurbs and bla bla" And I retorted an average joe that drives a superb car doesn't compare. You dragged in "Have you driven Suzuka, Fuji, Hock, Monza, Spa ..." which I guess indirectly means "suck sh*t, I have, even if I'm a slow poke or coaster or wealthy man enjoying current life" Incase this is taken the wrong way, I want to say I am NOT jealous and do NOT frown upon wealthy people and somewhat respect them, even you IanY

I didn't say that they don't do anything. I said that they are not as effective as a proper rear spoiler... aka 911 and 430/360.
    Kind of obvious they are not as effective but compare the flow to that point on both cars is far different anyway. Your words attacked the looks (gutsy, "wimpy little thing") far more than effectiveness.

I didn't directly quote you did I? Obviously you know better than me that the target audience of a M3 is far different to a 430/360 or 9xx. I don't know why you pick out such aggressive debates unless people treat you like their mother! What a change on this forum. 2003, highly technical professional & polite discussion about anything, and now; a bunch of aggressors.

A little lip/tab can do wonders to air management. So I guess they should chop off all the little tabs and details on front wing endplates, sidepods, rear wing endplates, rear wing plane tabs, horizontal engine cover fins, c*ckpit fins, barge boards, wheels and brake duct shapes/dimensions out the window in every single formula? And for touring/sports cars, they should dump the front splitters, the rear wing designs, gurney tabs just about everywhere around the car that optimize air extraction? Not to mentions DTMs, as those are the most heavily aerodynamically enhanced touring cars on Earth. As I said, they've done their testing in the wind tunnel and they've concluded in real world that it stacks up to their results from the wind tunnel with significant variables such as weather, driver, and application (circuit or straight, whatever) The final(?) (at least these spy pics show or maybe are still evaluation parts for the time-being) decision is they are keeping it. You just have the problem of criticizing the absolute donkey balls out of something you dislike 1 bit. The BMW, my comment or even me

What's that fin above the rear window? Oh I guess another atrocity!

I just want to add, the F3 series is one of the toughest. The teams performance varies A LOT and the cost of a GOOD drive too. If you're stuck in a bad or midrunner team it's extremely hard even if you get consistent top performances. Someone like Mark Webber was a bit lucky and got out of bankruptcy. Another talent like Marcos Ambrose wasn't so lucky and came back to Australia and competed in the V8SC series for 4 years with 3 titles (When SBR were unarguably the team to catch) and now is in NASCAR finally getting some $$$
    Last edited by GMX; 08-27-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well personally I haven't liked any German cars past the late 80's. The new stuff coming out of Germany bores me, not to mention it lacks soul and character. I don't agree with cars being pumped full of electronics either. Bar a simple ecu, there is no need for the new fangled crap you find in modern cars.

people rave for safety and gadgets and we get 4000LB sport coupes with the lightest being around 3000lb. This is pure bs, even in the 60's there were light weight sports cars made of metal that put the power to weight ratio of allot of modern cars to shame. Italian cars are starting to loose the personality and character they had as well. This planet has gone insane, people opt for an automatic sports car and rave about their skill.

Personally my ideal car would be a full frame v8 in the 4-6L range with a nice synchronized 5 or 6 speed transaxle with fully independent suspension pushing out around 500hp and no airbags, radio, modern commodities, ac or even leather. Simply put a bare bottom as far as luxury goes and a car that is a handful to the novice. and for gods sake keeping the weight under 2500lb would be nice too, did I mention real metal and possibly a couple of finely sculpted chrome bumpers. I am sick and tired of wiring and plastic, all cars today are simply homogeneous. You have the same model across the range of brands.

Pitiful, these days if you want a real car you have to build it yourself. Maybe that votus project I was thinking about is a better idea than I though.
    My pc: |||Abit AL8-V||| P4 631@4.6ghz||| 4x512 PDP pc2-4200@4-4-4-12 2.0v|||1x250gb WD 16mb sata||| 6600gt 500/1000@ 610/1240||| TDK dvd burner||| watercooled cpu and gpu and custom moded case.

Project Hard Lined

Xtreme Cruncher

the m3 has a carbon fibre roof

Major Standard Equipment
    Adaptive Xenon Headlights
    Carbon Fiber Roof
    SMG III 7-Speed transmission with DRIVELOGIC
    18" M Double Spoke Alloy Wheel
    18x8F/18x9R with P235/45ZR18 Front, P265/40ZR18 Rear Performance tires.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post
    the m3 has a carbon fibre roof

Major Standard Equipment
    Adaptive Xenon Headlights
    Carbon Fiber Roof
    SMG III 7-Speed transmission with DRIVELOGIC
    18" M Double Spoke Alloy Wheel
    18x8F/18x9R with P235/45ZR18 Front, P265/40ZR18 Rear Performance tires.
    In that case, I stand corrected. I'm an a$$hole. What can I say ? Half of solving a problem is admitting the defect lol

And what have you driven at Sepang?
    My access to Sepang is only to the extent that an extended family member (uncle) is a minority investor via an investment holdings firm. My uncle lives in nearby Kuala Lumpur and the cars I have driven there are naturally his.

Irony of ironies... I mainly drove an M3 Also a Lotus Elise and a 996 Carrera. As for track cars, I only briefly drove some really sick Nissan 300ZX. It was more power than I was used to and I had to take it easy on the throttle because I was not used to the Nissan platform.

OOOooo Look at me! I'm so egocentric... strutting around like a peac0ck {thumps chest... me Tarzan} lol

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    Well personally I haven't liked any German cars past the late 80's. The new stuff coming out of Germany bores me, not to mention it lacks soul and character. I don't agree with cars being pumped full of electronics either. Bar a simple ecu, there is no need for the new fangled crap you find in modern cars.

people rave for safety and gadgets and we get 4000LB sport coupes with the lightest being around 3000lb. This is pure bs, even in the 60's there were light weight sports cars made of metal that put the power to weight ratio of allot of modern cars to shame. Italian cars are starting to loose the personality and character they had as well. This planet has gone insane, people opt for an automatic sports car and rave about their skill.

Personally my ideal car would be a full frame v8 in the 4-6L range with a nice synchronized 5 or 6 speed transaxle with fully independent suspension pushing out around 500hp and no airbags, radio, modern commodities, ac or even leather. Simply put a bare bottom as far as luxury goes and a car that is a handful to the novice. and for gods sake keeping the weight under 2500lb would be nice too, did I mention real metal and possibly a couple of finely sculpted chrome bumpers. I am sick and tired of wiring and plastic, all cars today are simply homogeneous. You have the same model across the range of brands.

Pitiful, these days if you want a real car you have to build it yourself. Maybe that votus project I was thinking about is a better idea than I though.
    lol. Now that's some loyalty. This guy is willing to die if he makes a mistake . Actually... what you're describing sounds a lot like a rally car... . I want to try rally racing out if I ever get the money when I graduate college
    -----------------Main Setup-----------------
    Processor: Intel C2D E4600ES @ 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard: Abit AW9D-Max
    Heatsink: Cooler Master GeminII HSF
    Graphics Card: eVGA 6800GS 515//1320 (hacked SLI)
    RAM: 2x 1Gb GeIL Ultra UDCA= DDR2 800Mhz cas 4
    RAM: 2x 1Gb Crucial Tenth Anniversary DDR2 667Mhz cas 3
    Hard Drive (Primary): 1 x 200Gb Seagate EIDE
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 160GB SATA
    Hard Drive (Secondary): 1 x Seagate 300Gb SATAII
    DVD-RW Drive: 1 x Lite-on CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 500W

Xtreme Cruncher
    In that case, I stand corrected. I'm an a$$hole. What can I say ? Half of solving a problem is admitting the defect lol
    no just pointing to you that the roof is carbon not saying anything else, what do you think about daimler trying to partner with bmw?
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme News Addict
    LOL what can I say
    "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance." -- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post
    no just pointing to you that the roof is carbon not saying anything else, what do you think about daimler trying to partner with bmw?
    Daimler partnering with BMW??? WTF are you smoking that will never go over. Daimler is Mercedes Benz, BMW's arch-rival, that will never happen.
    God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

AMD Athlon 64 4000+, ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe, eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX, 1Gb OCZ RAM, WD 10k RPM Raptor and 7.2k RPM Caviar, Thermalright SI-128 ,Lian-Li PC-V1000 Plus II

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by NickS View Post
    IMO definitely sexier than the BMW, but probably isn't up to par as far as performance goes.
    On the contrary, that is Lexus' new "F" series, which is set to be their M killers. It's should be a bit quicker.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast