Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comcast Hinders BitTorrent Traffic

I am Xtreme

Comcast Hinders BitTorrent Traffic

/.

they better not touch my usenet

"Over the past few weeks, more and more Comcast users have reported that their BitTorrent traffic is severely throttled and they are totally unable to seed. Comcast doesn't seem to discriminate between legitimate and infringing torrent traffic, and most of the BitTorrent encryption techniques in use today aren't helping. If more ISPs adopt their strategy, could this mean the end of BitTorrent?"

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Banned
    Yeah, seems more cable ISPs do this than DSL ISPs. I've never had a problem with my ISP throttling torrent traffic.

Have any of you used TOR? Does it help evade throttling?

I am Xtreme
    I heard that all you have to do is use different ports, but I don't use BT. according to the article encryption seems to work.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Unless your downloading huge amounts I would make a call and ask why the speed of the service isn't up to par..
    When they give you a lame excuse, call your local cable comittee and make a polite complaint and tell them that comcast is not living up to it's contract with the city.
    I went through this with adelphia 3 years ago and we forced them to provide "reasonable" speeds..at the time that was 3mbit/256K..
    They were giving us 1.5/128.
    Town told them they would break the contract and toss them. Adelphia laughed..We got 14 towns together and made the same demand.
    They caved it.. numbers talk.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

YouTube Addict
    in a free market it means only one thing: If comcast refuses to provide the service you desire, change service providers. If comcast is gonna with your Internet, tell them to off
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Mentor
    I have DSL so my BitTorrent traffic is fine, but my friend who has cable has his BitTorrent downloads severely slowed down...
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    in a free market it means only one thing: If comcast refuses to provide the service you desire, change service providers. If comcast is gonna with your Internet, tell them to off
    considering if you live where I live and you only have two choices Crapcast (8mbps) or Qwest(1.5mbps the 7mbps is not available here) and they both suck it's not as easy as you think.
    Last edited by safan80; 08-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Admin
    One of my friends recently complained about this....

I also have Commycast, I'll have to try I guess....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    One of my friends recently complained about this....

I also have Commycast, I'll have to try I guess....
    what you posted... I couldn't read it while I was watching your avatar.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    considering if you live where I live and you only have two choices Crapcast (8mbps) or Qwest(1.5mbps the 7mbps is not available here) and they both suck it's not as easy as you think.
    Doesn't your area have telecommunication sublease laws?
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

I am Xtreme
    Doesn't your area have telecommunication sublease laws?
    lol the price from the subleased companies are even higher. I live in NM comcast and qwest own the joint (esp. when it comes to fast internet access) because of nice deals they made with the state.

YouTube Addict
    lol the price from the subleased companies are even higher. I live in NM comcast and qwest own the joint (esp. when it comes to fast internet access) because of nice deals they made with the state.
    The price is second consideration to the protection of civil liberties.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    WiMax will make the Cable and DSL providers cry.

It will open up a whole new level of competition.

Now just to sit by for 2-3 years while it is deployed.

I am Xtreme
    The price is second consideration to the protection of civil liberties.
    lol we are not a big enough market for anybody else to want to come here. only the big markets get to have all the fun.

YouTube Addict
    lol we are not a big enough market for anybody else to want to come here. only the big markets get to have all the fun.
    It doesn't matter if they don't cater to you, it is your responsibility to find a service provider that provides the serious that you desire at an acceptable cost. That is how the free market works, if you continue to paying money to comcast it'll only send the message that you don't mind being ed up the arse

I am Xtreme
    It doesn't matter if they don't cater to you, it is your responsibility to find a service provider that provides the serious that you desire at an acceptable cost. That is how the free market works, if you continue to paying money to comcast it'll only send the message that you don't mind being ed up the arse
    I have and one way I've done that is by getting dish tv and only using comcast for the internet only. I'm not going to use anything less than 8mbps for internet. I'm going to try real hard to avoid qwest.
    Last edited by safan80; 08-18-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they better not touch my usenet
    Amen brotha!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    I wish AT&T DSL would open up the 6MB/mbs option for San Francisco users. I hate Comcast. High latencies. High Price.
    ________
    Magic Flight
    Last edited by clayton; 03-10-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have Verizon FIOS here in Garland Texas and its a 15mbit down and 2 mbit up. I have not problems with torrents too. I have a felling the cable company's like Comcast is getting killed from the uploads from bittorrents and thats why there killing the speed. They still don't have a right to slow your connection down if your paying for a higher speed.

Xtreme Member
    Cheesus, the U.S. seems like a third world country when it comes to bandwidth. We in Europe are able to buy 100mbits at a reasonable price.
    That's just craptastic...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warship View Post
    Cheesus, the U.S. seems like a third world country when it comes to bandwidth. We in Europe are able to buy 100mbits at a reasonable price.
    Should say some parts of Europe... only offered some 3mb/384k here for a measley 75euro a month
    ASRock X399 Fatal1ty
    1950x Threadripper
    32gb DDR4
    GTX 1070
    __________________________________________________ ____

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Warship View Post
    The US ranks low when it comes to internet connectivity. Which isn't right at all, it should have the same bandwidth as Europe available
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipingWaste View Post
    I have Verizon FIOS here in Garland Texas and its a 15mbit down and 2 mbit up. I have not problems with torrents too. I have a felling the cable company's like Comcast is getting killed from the uploads from bittorrents and thats why there killing the speed. They still don't have a right to slow your connection down if your paying for a higher speed.
    comcast doesn't give jack for upload speed

I am Xtreme
    What if you have no other option? Before fios, 3mb DSL was the only other option and it was 3mb AT BEST for MORE MONEY. I'm sorry but I'd rather be "ed in the ass" by comcast than get ed by slow internet. 8mb is slow enough. If you'd rather have insanely slow internet to "protect your civil liberties" then go ahead, but comcast isn't going to care unless you manage to convince 10s of thousands to switch as well.

Thank god for fiber optics! Comcast is the worst ISP ever.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipingWaste View Post
    try a this http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1 speed test I want to compare it to this

the thing I hate about power boost is it makes speed tests run fast. I can still only download a a solid 8mbps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast