Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "300" Sells More on Blu-ray Disc Than HD DVD

Your analysis is very interesting Eastcoast. We've certainly heard Sony trumpeting how it has shipping so many BR players. But we all know this is due to ps3 buyers being forced to buy them. I remember when DVD started coming out with dual layer discs, and HDTV was coming online around the same time and I could tell there was no way HD would fit on a DVD. I prefer the more open format of HDDVD, and frown on Sony's SOSWOS, but I still find myself hoping BR will win simply because each layer holds more data. By the time we have a winner (or not) in the HD disc war and have built up our collections, they will have new discs that can actually hold 1440p movies and have to start all over again

Xtreme Enthusiast
    its still going to be the same after a month. if the xbox360 came hddvd playback then the result would be different, but it doesnt
    we going shh around the corner

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    One major thing that none looks at.

The HD DVD comes with a DVD side which is why almost twice as expensive compared to Blu-Ray version.

People will buy cheaper version because none really cares about internet access over DVD or the PiP extra. People just want to watch the 300 movie in HD.
    WTF? $4 is "twice" as expensive?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by trainee View Post
    Your analysis is very interesting Eastcoast. We've certainly heard Sony trumpeting how it has shipping so many BR players. But we all know this is due to ps3 buyers being forced to buy them. I remember when DVD started coming out with dual layer discs, and HDTV was coming online around the same time and I could tell there was no way HD would fit on a DVD. I prefer the more open format of HDDVD, and frown on Sony's SOSWOS, but I still find myself hoping BR will win simply because each layer holds more data. By the time we have a winner (or not) in the HD disc war and have built up our collections, they will have new discs that can actually hold 1440p movies and have to start all over again
    Thanks, what I am seeing so far is a lot of propaganda (also here) coming from the BR camp while HD camp remains cautious. If anyone doesn't understand what that means the least they would know is that this war isn't going to end soon.

Also, I find the indirect approach of some of Sony's studio backers a bit perplexing. Is there "fighting in the camp"? Do not think it's odd you can buy a BR movie on HD as some "overlooked situation". I am sure they are full aware of what some of those studios are doing. Because of this, it appears that some of the BR studio backers are going neutral indirectly.

The use of the 50 Gig BR disc is starting to look more of marketing then anything else. Even when using encoding methods of Mpeg2 (which shows the worst PQ IMO) and AVC (a form of Mpeg4) the movie doesn't use 50 Gigs of space. People have reported that some movies titles have both Mpeg 2 and AVC on the same disc. This should tell you the amount of space left over even when lossless audio is used (meaning uncompressed audio). If this remains true, then the use of 50 Gigs of space (with little to no interactive media) has no real merit to the movie itself.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 08-15-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12