Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How stupid is Blizzard for not making D3?

Bulletproof

How stupid is Blizzard for not making D3?

Ok... I know MMORPG are such a juicy turd that every developer wants to pour money down the throats of any dev team attempting them... but hear me out.

I just reinstalled D2 and LoD. I paided $70 on release for D2 collectors edition and got LoD a couple days after release for whatever it's retail was (30 or 40$ I think). I've played dozens of games trying to give me my diablo fix with modern looks and new skills/equipment and character development.

Guild wars ~$110 invested
    Sacred ~$60 invested
    Jade Empire ~$200 invested (bought an xbox to play it)

I've also played demos of titan quest and a half dozen other diablo-style games whose reviewers promised the world and the games all fell dramatically short.

Honestly... there are some people who just aren't interested in WASTING TIME grinding (Which every single MMORPG requires in one way or another). People don't all want to deal with the teenagers that make up 99% of these worlds. Some people just want an action RPG with good graphics, a variety of skills, terrain, enemies and items: that let's them team up and play with their buddies.

Don't get me started on Hellgate... Yeah it looks decent... but every damn review theres more and more content that only the Pay 2 Play'ers get. It's like buying the game and only getting the demo unless you rent the extra content.
    Only the stupidest humans believe that the dogma of relative filth is a defense.

Xtreme Mentor
    D2 was pretty much the best computer game I have ever played from a replayability and addiction standpoint. Especially in the period of patch 1.08 and 1.09 (pre-out-of-control hacked items). Patch 1.10 and on were also very good (just that period on the last half of 1.09 was messed up bad). Goes to show you don't need cutting edge graphics for an amazing experience.

Xtreme Member
    1.09 was godly. i totally quited d2, when 1.10 camed out and the whole wipe thing too.
    E6600 - 3.6Ghz @ 1.4V
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fan
    Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi-AP
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 2GB
    eVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB 650/1900
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Corsair HX520W
    Antec 900 Case

3DMark06 - 13,078

Xtreme Member
    D3? I've purchased Starcraft+Brood War a good ~3x each and have been waiting 10 years for SC2.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by pissboy View Post
    D3? I've purchased Starcraft+Brood War a good ~3x each and have been waiting 10 years for SC2.
    Exactly, Diablo got it's D2... So they would be stupid not to go with SC2 first...

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They are making almost 2 billion a year off of WoW...I'd say they haven't made any big mistakes.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    They are making almost 2 billion a year off of WoW...I'd say they haven't made any big mistakes.
    QFT

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

Xtreme Mentor
    I hope Diablo 3 comes next. I loved playing Diablo 2 many years ago. I'd stay up till like 4am on weekends playing it
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

A little quick to judge...this post is a bit premature, seeing as how its only 2007, and if they do go with a D3, which is inevitable, it won't be out until 2010 at the earliest. They are hard at work on SC2 and WoW is still a full time job as well.

So saying they are stupid for not making D3? How do you know they aren't?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Mentor
    Maybe make Diablo 3 a MMO. Or how bout the World of Starcraft? Haha, anything besides World of Warcraft 2. They are gonna need something down the road somewhere because they can't hold the crown forever on the current engine. I think Warhammer is going to give WOW a serious run for its money.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    Maybe make Diablo 3 a MMO. Or how bout the World of Starcraft? Haha, anything besides World of Warcraft 2. They are gonna need something down the road somewhere because they can't hold the crown forever on the current engine. I think Warhammer is going to give WOW a serious run for its money.
    No do NOT make Diablo 3 an MMO.

And yeah, I definitely agree that Warhammer is going to destroy WOW. I can't wait to see that happen

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    A little quick to judge...this post is a bit premature, seeing as how its only 2007, and if they do go with a D3, which is inevitable, it won't be out until 2010 at the earliest. They are hard at work on SC2 and WoW is still a full time job as well.

So saying they are stupid for not making D3? How do you know they aren't?
    I see 2009 at the earliest. It could be in development right now...we all know how secretive Blizzard is.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Member
    I would've like to see Diablo 3 come out this year; the Diablo 2 online economy is wrecked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob-ftw View Post
    I would've like to see Diablo 3 come out this year; the Diablo 2 online economy is wrecked.
    The only people that play Diablo 2 now won't do to help you out.

Xtreme Member
    For some reason, I always liked D1 better than D2. As far as D3, they certainly have enough background info to pull it off, but not having the original dev team around we make the new one feel to "weird". Its kind of like the direction the CIV's went when Activision bought them, to much flash and not enough quality game.

If they make a D3 I'd definately play it though.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

Xtreme Member
    yeah d3 is gonna have a fabulous story line
    diablo died twice
    the third time is gonna be cool
    [/sarcasm]
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I see 2009 at the earliest. It could be in development right now...we all know how secretive Blizzard is.
    I don't. I seriously doubt they are developing SC2 and D3 while simultaneously managing and creating content for WoW. I don't know of any single developer that could pull that off.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    First the Nostalgia:

I played the game from the first week it came out until most recently when the ladder finally reset. The game was best imho during the 1.09 patch. 1.10 basically killed pvp in my mind. And thus the major draw of the game. I probably spent close to...$500 on items in the game and over 1,000+ hours of my life over the course of the past 7 years - perhaps a total waste of money and energy - but during the time I was playing I really enjoyed it. Because of this I've steered completely away from WoW because of the fear of being too addicted.

However, I will gladly play Diablo 3 when it comes out (1 addiction every decade isn't so bad )and to say the least, I can't wait for another sequel, but I believe that SC2 is more deserving at the moment of it. When it's time for Diablo 3 - and as a successor of Diablo 2 - I believe there is no other choice but for it to become a MMORPG. In my mind D2 was already like a MMORPG, it just had the basics, and that was improved upon with WoW.

And honestly this makes sense in business terms. Blizzard has an entire system setup for an MMORPG and they could easily trade development teams and resources to work on another MMORPG. That being said, however, I don't think we will see Diablo 3 until 2010, at the earliest, like others have said.

I don't. I seriously doubt they are developing SC2 and D3 while simultaneously managing and creating content for WoW. I don't know of any single developer that could pull that off.
    Please, as quoted before they are making almost 2 Billion a year (who knows how that money is divided up between them, their publisher, and other fees, but still it's it's safe to say they are making a lot of money). That being said I find it hard to believe they can't afford to have:

1 main team working on WoW and expansions
    1 main team working on SC2
    1 minor team working on the Diablo 3 development

Now in my mind it makes total sense to have 3 teams like this, 2 in major development of their projects, and 1 starting the "pre-production" of a 3rd project. Then they switch roles like interchanging gears. Once a project reaches completion they are either passed on another major or minor project to work on - but the same 3 development team scheme is kept in place. You just have different people switching teams from where the work is required.

I see it happen all the time in a business world as my Dad works for Bank of America's Credit Card department. He switches teams every once in a while - where ever the most work load is required or his abilities are best suited for the company.

Second of all. An example of another developer that works like this already exists - Valve. They have 1 major team working on HL2 Episode 2 (eventually HL3/4 "pre-production"), 1 major team working on Episode 3, and then they have Turtle Rock Studios doing Left4Dead/CSS updates (and eventually Episode 4 which has been confirmed from Valve to be made outside of Valve's own development team. This is my guess as to who).

Remember this is Blizzard (and Valve works the same way). They take their sweeeeeet ass time coming out with projects. And they can afford to because of their fan base and $$.
    Last edited by EternityZX9; 08-10-2007 at 05:56 PM.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Please show me where this 2 billion dollars in profit is coming from. I am finding no proof of it anywhere and quite franky it is very hard to believe.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    All the original diablo team left for another company in England i think. However, they are doing their own online rpg similar to Diablo:
    http://www.mythos.com
    i7-2600k L041C108 4.8ghz 1.32v PLL off Venomous-X Push/Pull http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1063
    Asus P8P67 Vanilla
    Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US 2x4GB @ 9-10-10-28 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159320
    Diamond HD 7970
    WD 600GB Velociraptor
    Corsair TX750W
    CM 690 II Advanced

Q822A549 E8500 @ 4.5ghz air TRUE @ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=203762

G.Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH @ 7-10-8-27 1T DDR3 2133 1.6v http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=266839

Xtreme Addict
    Well, Diablo 3 would compete with WoW.
    Especially if there's no monthly fee.

Maybe they're encorporate a diablo into a WoW expansion pack

I hate WoW and magic, but diablo was cool, especially co-op on PS1. 11/15 memory card blocks FTW!!!!!11

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Diablo 3 is inevitible. Even Blizzard is almost admitting to it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14691

Quote Originally Posted by gamasutra
    When pressed for details regarding the new project, Pearce was cagey. "Team 3 is working on something really awesome. I can’t give you any hints, but it’s totally awesome."

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL14
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

Please show me where this 2 billion dollars in profit is coming from. I am finding no proof of it anywhere and quite franky it is very hard to believe.
    Well, maybe they aren't making 2 billion dollars in profit, but common sense tells you they are making bank.

9 million users x 30$ a game = $270 million (and remember the game cost $50 when it first came out and $75 for Collector's Editions so this is low balling the total they probably made from just selling the game.)

Not to mention you have 1 expansion sold (at $30) and another on the way(presumably another $30) and a $25 character transfer fee. It adds up.

Then you have monthly subscriptions.

9 million users x $15 a month = $135 million A MONTH x 12(a year) = $1.620 Billion a year in subscription fees. If the user amount stays constant over the next year that's how much money they will make, but obviously the user count and game count will only increase - thus they will make even more money off subscription fees in the next year.

Now the game has been out for 3 years....so again...how much money do you think Blizzard has made from this game? Again, maybe not 2 billion...but still quite a lot!
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Quote Originally Posted by KoHaN69 View Post
    Well, Diablo 3 would compete with WoW.
    Especially if there's no monthly fee.

Maybe they're encorporate a diablo into a WoW expansion pack

I hate WoW and magic, but diablo was cool, especially co-op on PS1. 11/15 memory card blocks FTW!!!!!11
    I agree, that's why I said Diablo 3 probably won't come out until 2010. It will only compete with WoW. I think of it like this:

They have WoW as the cash cow right now which will be extremely popular for a total of 6 years (2004-2010). In the meantime those that get bored with WoW will find other games to play or even SC2, which I think will come out in late 2008/early 2009. Then, once the excitement of WoW has worn off, they will introduce Diablo 3 in 2010 to replace WoW as their cash cow.

When thinking like a business man this makes total sense because you don't want to canibalize your own sales.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
    Diablo 3 is inevitible. Even Blizzard is almost admitting to it here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14691
    Yeah, what other game are they going to make? If it's not Starcraft or Warcraft related then what else could it possibly be? No reason to create another IP because they have 3 of the biggest in history already (WC, SC, Diablo).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    they got everything planned. what do you think is coming after sc2? only 2 possibilities, diablo3 or wc4.
    we going shh around the corner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast