Thread: Radiator capacity question

Xtreme Enthusiast

Radiator capacity question

I'm planning on building myself a 24/7 rig and Im having problems deciding on what rads I should get.

If I'm only going to be cooling a dual core CPU running 4ghz with about 1.5v-1.55v and a single 8800GTX/Ultra modded with some mild clocks should I go with:

A)Thermochill 120.3 for 8800GTX/Ultra and 120.2 for the CPU
    or
    B)Thermochill 120.2 for both

I plan on running the usual Yates on them to keep things quite so no high flow fans, DDC-2 with Petras top, Swiftech Micro-Res, and high flow barbs. These will both be on their own loops.

I hope I'll be able to run with just 120.2 on both on account of space issues but if not, I'll figure something out.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    120.2 for both loops should be fine. TBPH I'd get a 120.3 and run both in the same loop and save money - it'll be able to handle it fine.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even with both OC'd and only Yates being used?

If I used only one 120.3, should I keep both DDC-2 and run them in series?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'd let this make the decision for you.

Are you ever planning on going SLI? If so, split it out and run two loops and keep the CPU by itself. It'll be hard to not have some effect on your CPU temps particularly when you have two in SLI.

But if not...a 120.3 for both would be great.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    120.3 for a single GPU and a dual-core CPU? Sure. You'll get slightly higher temps than independent loops using 120.2s for both, but then, you'll also save a significant amount of money. You'll get a slight flow increase from keeping both pumps, so if you already have them, go for it.

Edit: Hah, cross-posting ftw. Martin makes a good point above about SLi.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't plan on going SLi for this because I don't game too much and everything now is mostly CPU bound, clockwise, so single is enough.

I don't have any of this yet, but I will be in the upcoming month. Will the extra flow help in temps at all? If so is the extra heat dump worth it?