MMM
    X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bong cooling

  1. #1
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    957

    Bong cooling

    I was wondering if anyone here has used or are using a bong cooler


    If you want to know what it's check this out
    http://www.wc101.com/guides/bongs/

  2. #2
    L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    4,643
    1174663680989.jpg

    In other news, no.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

    Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism



  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45
    They've been around for many years, since shortly after CPUs first started needing heatsinks. They work really well and can be made pretty cheaply, but never caught on because they're noisy (though it can be a nice fountainy sound), dump tons of humidity into your house (as in danger of mildewed walls unless you live somewhere really dry), need constant refilling, and almost inevitably turn into gross algae, bug, and lime scale farms. Gotta admit they're pretty cool in theory, but there're reasons why pretty much everyone sticks with closed-loop systems.

  4. #4
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,588
    Yeah, they really need an extraction fan in the ceiling or can be quite a health menace.
    Done right, though, it's another matter. Check out Aussie-Jester's bong if you're ever on Overclockers Australia's extreme cooling forum.

  5. #5
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,055
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...t=78543&page=9 Here's a link to AussieJester's contraption.

    i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

  6. #6
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Murfreesboro,TN
    Posts
    842
    LOL, silly overclocker bongs are for really good weed... You'll be much happier cooling your PC with a PA120.3
    Lian-Li PC-75B, Asus P5WGD2 WS Pro (BIOS 502), Intel Q6600 G0@ 3.5GHz 1.50V, G.SKILL BHZ, 2048-6400C4,4:3@5-5-5-15-5,EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, CC-644MHz / MC-1100MHz, HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1, Logitech z-5500 5.1, Enermax 660W SLI, Boot Drive - Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB, Two Storage & Backup HD's-WD 320GB SATAII inclosed in ICY Dock Hot swapable HD racks, NEC DVD +/-RW ND-3550A, Lite-on DVD ROM SHOD-16P, 52-in-1 cardreader, Deck Legend-Ice Keyboard, Back to my Logi MX500 @1000Hz

    -monitor#1 Dell 2407WFP rev. A04, res. 1920x1200
    -monitor#2 TV Vizio GV42L, connected with 30' RapidRun cable, Audio - 30' S/PDIF, Belden/Canare cable-> Marantz AV9000 5.1-> 5X 600w ADCOM monoblocks, Veledyne SPL-1200 Sub, SpecResearch keyboard.

    Custom Watercooled->CritiCool PowerPlant PCI Relay Card(modded)->Meanwell S150->Iwaki RD-30-> PA120.3 w/ shroud & Yate Loon D12SL-12 Fans, Nexus fan controller->Storm G5->MCW60

  7. #7
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbenator View Post
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...t=78543&page=9 Here's a link to AussieJester's contraption.
    Heh, that is so awesome!
    .:Gaming Rig:.
    *Rebuilding*

  8. #8
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,700
    Ahhh.. AussieJester's work of art. That was one well thought out piece of work right there. I wonder how it is working out for him now?


    Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

    CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

  9. #9
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,588
    Still going strong.
    He was building his new quad case last I heard. Building it for an under $200 case contest but every bit as good as a MM.

  10. #10
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by RickH View Post
    They've been around for many years, since shortly after CPUs first started needing heatsinks. They work really well and can be made pretty cheaply, but never caught on because they're noisy (though it can be a nice fountainy sound), dump tons of humidity into your house (as in danger of mildewed walls unless you live somewhere really dry), need constant refilling, and almost inevitably turn into gross algae, bug, and lime scale farms. Gotta admit they're pretty cool in theory, but there're reasons why pretty much everyone sticks with closed-loop systems.

    What if I put a condenser/reducer on the top???


    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbenator View Post
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...t=78543&page=9 Here's a link to AussieJester's contraption.

    sweet

  11. #11
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    957
    bump

  12. #12
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Redvers, Sask, Canada.
    Posts
    2,973
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    What if I put a condenser/reducer on the top???
    sweet
    First be for bothering I'd take a wet bulb dry bulb temp to see if it is worth while, your wet bulb will be the most important as it will determine if a cooling tower is the best option.

    If you have low wet bulb temps year round then most certainly go for it, how ever set it up out side of with good exterior exhausting to keep the now humidified air to the out side.

    And if you really want to do a good job read up and study about cooling towers, that is all a bong is, a scaled down cooling tower.
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

    The one and Only MG Pony

  13. #13
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedda View Post
    Still going strong.
    He was building his new quad case last I heard. Building it for an under $200 case contest but every bit as good as a MM.
    Good to hear. Wasn't that thing so massive that it brought down the water temps by a good 3-4C?


    Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

    CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

  14. #14
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,588
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    Good to hear. Wasn't that thing so massive that it brought down the water temps by a good 3-4C?
    It performs really well.
    I'd call it elegant. So well thought out and constructed. Auto top up and extraction fan deal with the usual down sides to evap towers.
    That's where he started investigating non-toxic additives, as the tower is open to the room air.
    Desk height to just below the ceiling. So not really massive. His styling helps it look less in size too.
    Cooler, case, blocks all by him. Impresses the hell out of me!

  15. #15
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony View Post
    First be for bothering I'd take a wet bulb dry bulb temp to see if it is worth while, your wet bulb will be the most important as it will determine if a cooling tower is the best option.

    If you have low wet bulb temps year round then most certainly go for it, how ever set it up out side of with good exterior exhausting to keep the now humidified air to the out side.

    And if you really want to do a good job read up and study about cooling towers, that is all a bong is, a scaled down cooling tower.
    What is a wet bulb or dry bulb??? I'm kind of out of it tonite

  16. #16
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Butte MT home of the worlds largest body of contaminated water
    Posts
    545
    Here is another good resource for bong building information.

    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=321055

  17. #17
    sleepin is overrated
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,311
    there are loads of articals

    i,ve made quite a few over the years but as its been said there effectiveness depends on your environment tho

    best bang for buck cooler ever in the right environment can rival tec's

    Last edited by -Acid-; 08-05-2007 at 01:57 PM.

  18. #18
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    957
    I have a window where the bong could go, I'd like it to be closed so I don't get mold

    is there anyway that you can recycle the water by using a long copper tube to cool the water vapor make it liquid water again???
    - Gigabyte DS3L P35 - C2Q Q6600 - Antec NSS NSK4480B - Corsair XMS2 2Gb - Kingston Hyperx 4Gb - Sapphire 2600 XT - 2 Samsung F3 2TB - 2 WD Black 750 GB - 2 WD Black 1TB - Seagate 320 GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - Logitech Z4 - Corsair 750HX - Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro Dual Boot -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •